[REFERENCE] Models & Textures

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Raevn, June 16, 2013.

1. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

@raevn, some information to add, courtesy of bgolus!

The distance field is an alpha for the diffuse, not the mask. This is generated using the edge glow filter in photoshop, followed by using the 'outer glow' layer effect with the technique set to 'precise'.

The blue channel in the material texture is for defining which areas are dielectric (white) or metallic (coloured from diffuse) specular; areas greater than 127 blue being metallic and visa versa.

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but might be a good idea to add it here, the model needs to have all 'sharp' edges be split - contiguous meshes are rendered as smooth in the PA engine.
    stuart98 and Raevn like this.
  2. attacker5

attacker5 New Member

Hey just wondering, I have recently gotten my first model in game and its working well, but it seems really shiny. I know what specular intensity and sharpness does and how it works, but I have assumed that intensity is called "mask" here and sharpness still called "sharpness", however, adding red to the material doesn't seem to decrease or increase the intensity, what can I do to decrease the amount of shine?
    Thanks
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

AO bake it.
  4. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial about bones and animation for PA models ?
    I'm 100% new to modeling but I'm giving it a try.
    I've got blender, I spent the day going through tutorials on the basics of meshes and stuff on CGcoockie.com and now I can create a blocky robot guy.

When I import a PA model the bones are showing up, but I can't figure out how they relate to the mesh, I can see what movement they imply by where they are but I can't find the thing that should tell me which vertices belong to the bone and how to manipulate these things.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Mod support forums -> either mgmetal's thread or ZX0's thread.
  6. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

Is posing in Blender just broken if you import a PA model ?
    I can pose the armatures/bones but no mesh moves with them, is the mesh assigned to the bone lost during the import ?
  7. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

What is the alpha channel in diffuse layer used for? Is it really transparency?