1. duncane

duncane Active Member

You were playing main build yeah? Not PTE? Would you say minor tweaks are needed or are Dox basically the new Zerg rush unless something radical is done?
  2. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

well what I really like about PTE right now is that bombers bombs target units. they dont drop straight down but in a small angle. This makes microing away from the bombs near impossible for fabbers and a lot harder for dox. All in all.. The PTE is Leages ahead of stable right now. Many things changes slightly and you can see the balance taking shape.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

The Dox should just lose some range the AA and... to be able to shoot ships when under water... this way it is a perfectly nice raiding unit and not a raping multi-purpose unit. You can kill all kind of navy with the Dox atm.
  4. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

1. Dox rush can always be countered by dox rush.

2. The whole argument against doxes is centered around small planets, where clashes happen early, before T2 and orbital and heavy defenses have time to come into the mix. In a large planet doxes are just another unit, and if you try to rush with them you'll get easily pushed back.

I am no expert player, but I'am winning 70 to 80 percent of my matches for the last couple of weeks, and I haven't been having problems with being dox rushed (while cleaning out a lot of beginners who don't know how to counter them, and who tend to whine about it after the match).
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

When a unit is the only viable counter to itself then you know there's a problem
    Quitch likes this.
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That's the problem.
    And I've explained why it's a problem a million billion trillion times on this forum, but hey it's been a while so I'll do it again.

If you've ever studied or looked into game theory for more than five seconds you'll know of the term "dominant strategy". If not, it basically states that if you're provided with an ultimate method of achieving a certain goal in the game, you're always going to use it. And as such, every one else is always going to use it.

This means that whoever uses the dominant strategy the "best" (in dox rush's case, whoever builds the most dox the fastest) is always going to win, and there is absolutely no way around that whatsoever.

Dominant strategy in an RTS (any video game, but RTS especially) is a huge problem because it completely destroys any semblance of strategic depth or complexity, and also practically removes all levels of variety from gameplay.

Basically, if the Dox rush is the only viable strategy, why even have more than one unit type?
    icycalm and squishypon3 like this.
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I'm not sure what you guys are playing on the PTE but the build we are using at PAX they do not shoot underwater and they miss a lot against air units. They don't fare well against tanks at all but are excellent hit and run raiders.
  8. warmax

warmax New Member

Ya you know what that means tanks ftw lets do this
  9. squishypon3

Everyone's silly and still basing it off of the live build. :p
    drz1 likes this.
  10. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The biggest issue I think is the fact that it's so easy to make a "golden horde" of doxen.
    And once you have that golden horde, it takes a lot of firepower to take it down.

From what I've played so far it looks like they have significant difficulty against commanders (one Uber cannon destroys half of a medium-sized army) so they aren't great snipe units, but they're so cheap and so easy to amass that by the time your attacking army is destroyed another one is ready to move in again.

Now granted, I haven't played any multiplayer with the new PTE so as far as I know the dox rush as a multiplayer tactic is completely useless (and even if I have played multiplayer I'm hardly good enough to even call judgement on that) but judging from what I've seen in how quickly they get up, it seems like they'd do fine.
  11. squishypon3

Ew.. That's kinda silly in my opinion. :p
  12. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Sounds like PTE to me :)
  13. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Well ive been playing PTE only the last couple of days. And I do agree that dox are still a bit to powerfull. But they are no longer insanely OP. I've seen many times that you start dox and then transition into tanks+air into T2/Orbital. And I think that is a healthy meta. Dox can still use some changes. But man do tanks eat Dox for dinner.
    zaphodx and drz1 like this.
  14. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Surely raiding is better and dox are worse. :p