POLL: Preferred tournament times (viewers and participants)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 19, 2014.

?

What is the best tournament start time for you?

1. Saturday 0800 - 1200 UTC

14.6%
  2. Saturday 1300 - 1700 UTC

34.1%
  3. Saturday 1800 - 2000 UTC

75.6%
  4. Sunday 0800 - 1200 UTC

14.6%
  5. Sunday 1300 - 1700 UTC

24.4%
  6. Sunday 1800 - 2000 UTC

41.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

This is a question aimed at both viewers and participants. It would be incredibly helpful for eXodus (and others I'm sure) to know what time is best for people. Multiple selections allowed.

Additional comments welcome too.

To check UTC against your local time click the link below:

http://everytimezone.com/
    jonasmod likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

3. Quitch

So France is current on CEST which is UTC+2, once it reverts to CET it'll be UTC+1.
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

So i learned today that utc is actually also gmt. This must help all europeans atleast a minute of googling. For the interested, its not exactly the same, but for PA it is the same enough.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I prefer UTC to GMT because the 'G' in GMT stands for Greenwich, which is in London. Because of the geographical association, a lot of people use GMT to mean 'British Time', which is only correct for half of the year. UTC is geography-neutral so more likely not to get confused.
    cptconundrum and Quitch like this.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think you need to bear in mind that people who play PA are situated all over the globe.

For UK, Friday 18:00 UTC or later is fine, or any time on Sat for me really.

However if we wan't to involve people in Aus / NZ they really need late Friday (22:00 UTC) or ealy sat (9:00 UTC) to be able to play. This is what has determined the times of the Promethean (predominantly EU) vs Team Burning (Aus / NZ players) games.

The down side is those times are out of hours for US based players, I'm not sure there is a sensible time that works for all 3 time zones though...

What I'd suggest though is if possible Exodus should tailor some events to the AUS / NZ time zone as there are some great players in that area that we never get to see in the 'main' events.
  7. Quitch

You might be missing the purpose of the poll :)
  8. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

The earlier the better for me. Working monday to friday 9-5 Makes me want to have a few beers on the Saturdays. Once a month not so bad I suppose.
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

My point is the time slots you've listed don't really cover *all that's needed* (e.g. Friday PM is a good time to tie up with AUS as it's SAT AM for them)....
    Quitch likes this.
  10. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

the one choice thats reasonable for Australians has only 1 vote :(
    elodea likes this.
  11. Aeronerd

Aeronerd New Member

2 to 3 AM UTC is best for me.

All the options in your poll make it either absurdly earler in the central time zone, or during work... so 8PM where I'm from would be 1AM UTC.
  12. Aeronerd

Aeronerd New Member

the poll doesn't give global time options. just from 8AM to 8PM UTC. Is exedus in that time zone or something?
  13. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

It's not too bad, obviously Sunday is pretty much out, since most Sunday times bleed into our Monday, but early morning Saturday leaves us with a Saturday night block, which is reasonable, and a late night Saturday time can start to match up with our Sunday morning.
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Exodus has people eastern Europe, western Europe, east coast North America, and west coast North America. Nobody from Asia or Australia time zones yet. Tournaments should happen at times that are good for the players and viewers though, not just the organizers.
  15. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

I'm happy to have tourneys at 2am and 5/6am but 4am? I don't even know if i should wake up early or stay up late :S
  16. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

You missed out Friday, giving up a Saturday nights drinking upsets me :(
    Clopse and cdrkf like this.
  17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Or you could just do a Clopse:

[​IMG]
  18. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I should probably rephrase that as I'm usually drunk whenever I play... I meant Saturday night drinking <b>in a pub</>
    I always play drunk!!!!
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's the name of a player on FAF, it's pretty funny because he really does xD