Planetary Annihilation is on the front page of Reddit /Games!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by philoscience, September 10, 2014.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Just skimming the pros and cons. Did it say the units lack charisma? I love the little guys :(
    And did it say GW doesn't have saves? Well that's wrong...
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Not entirely. You can't easily leave a game once you started it and if you die, it is all over.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I'm honestly amazed at just how popular the game really is. Front paging Reddit; best seller on Steam numerous times. It's awesome! Now we need a server fix and a hot fix build and many of the "buggy" complaints will go away. (It's a bit buggy, no denying that :p)
  4. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

"You've entered a place that is beyond existence and adjacent to imagination; a place that cannot be accessed just by travel, but by thought. You have entered a subreddit called

'The Twilight Zone'​
    "

^^I think I did a good job with that one
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Fancy a young lad. His name. Trophy System. In the last few days, he has been defending one of his favorite pieces of work across several groups. He has come to despise all the groups at a personal level. Including reddit. Especially reddit. But today, he finds a reddit that is undeserving of his temper. A different reddit than the one he came to know. A reddit, hosted exclusively....

...by the Twilight Zone.
  6. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Quite positive actually. Here's the sum up :

PROS
    • Huge armies facing each other
    • Long term strategy
    • Spherical maps well handled
    • Inter-planetary moves and warfare
    • Smash planets at each other's head
    • Huge playground for team games
    • Games can be epic ...
    CONS
    • ... But sometimes lack rhythm
    • Unit design without charisma
    • Tactical aspect of ground battles limited
    • Single player Galactic Wars without taste
    • A bit messy
    drz1 likes this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The T2 bots are charismatic.

But overall, I agree, they are really kinda bland.

Not sure how you can make a tank charismatic however.

EDIT: also yeah, the GW atm is basically a nice demo, and needs a lot of work, and a butt duck lot of fluff.
    squishypon3 and thetrophysystem like this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If that is legitimately it, I can understand all of that.

Unit design without charisma is a design choice, but it is correct. I think the "kickstarter" and "release" trailers portray that cold calculated emotionless sort of design of the units.

Galactic Wars are a bit monodirectional, they are only flexible in how they are played and not how intricate it is itself. Galactic Wars has tech, that is good. Galactic War isn't really well designed around that tech, nor does it have much overall goal to system capture when it could be more "fantastic board game" style. I think that myself, although I am not unhappy with GW either, it's a decent play.

The game can be a bit messy without being specific, I am pretty sure that means all the small stuff like menus sometime feeding into the wrong place or something quirky like that.
    Exactly this. It is a nice demo. It could be the first step in a 5 step reiteration, and technically it is a 3rd step of a reiteration, and TECHNICALLY it is a step back from the other 2 iterations which were too complex to actually play, but reiteration 6 could add different umbrellas of tech or some mechanic to the tech slots or some mechanic to the planet, who knows, maybe even galactic economy and turn based system decisions.
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I told a guy that matchmaking at launch was, in my opinion, unnecessary and explained my reasoning extensively. He replied by saying I have downs syndrome!
  10. igncom1

That's Reddit all right.
    squishypon3 and Clopse like this.
  11. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

12. igncom1

Um dude, those units aren't textured.
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Haha this made my morning. I love the internet.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Can you link that? I'd like to link them PA Stats matchmaking if that has not already happened.
    squishypon3 and thetrophysystem like this.
  15. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I laughed. Then had a coughing fit coz I'm unwell.
    Now my eyes are watering, I need a glass of water, but I'm still smiling.
    squishypon3 and drz1 like this.
  16. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I think a little asymmetry can go a long way - the T2 Sniper bot is a good example of this.
    Imagine mounting the cannon of the Ant to the side of its main turret: Tada, a lot more recognisable tank - just to give a quick example on top of my head.
    Also using modern military technology mixed with scifi elements can also be pretty awesome, like the Bluehawk model which looks like a mix of a gorilla mech paired with a rocket artillery vehicle from today.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

It will always be a complaint especially from people who really value the visual-heavy experience of games like SC2. PA is played mostly in the strategic view and for me is a much more chess-on-crack experience than an aesthetic one. Usually I only take in the aesthetics in the replay or at the start of a match. That being said personally I love the look and feel of PA, but you simply cannot please everyone. It does help that casters like Zaphod are using cinematic view a lot as it makes it very exciting to watch.
  18. igncom1

[​IMG]

But yeah more attachments would spice them up.
    squishypon3 and ace63 like this.
  19. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

cola_colin likes this.