Planet size contest ;)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SXX, July 16, 2013.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm usually about as sarcastic as you are, but in this case it was the former ;)

The British sense of humour can make text-based conversations impossibly complicated sometimes.
  2. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Generally because I could count the number of games with full simulated projectiles on the fingers of one hand. After a moderately severe chainsaw accident.

The vast majority of RTS games of late have followed the starcraft model, and rely on hitscan far more than simulation. Furthermore, of those that have tried simulation, none have really made the attempt to make units as smart as the PA devs have suggested they would like to.

It's a good question, and a useful one to ask when examining new features, but one might as well ask why Zero-K was the first game (at least that I've played) to implement auto-kiting and dodging. Particularly when that feature can be summed up in less than 20 lines of code.

There's a first time for everything. And I think it's pretty clear that Planetary Annihilation is going to have a lot of firsts.
    Last edited: July 18, 2013
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

there was sup com annnnnd that's it? :/ TA didn't have it, neither did SupCom 2 neither did all of the C&C nor end war nor etcetera & etcetera & etcetera & etcetera & etcetera & ......

spring had it, heavy metal would have had it....
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

This is beautiful. Do want.
  5. comham

comham Active Member

Yes, I'd like to see those examples, please.

I remember a pre-release supcom screenshot showing a base on a hill, overlooking an enemy base further away on a lower plain. Looked quite good. But RTS games don't operate on the logic required to make use of that scale of pretty terrain, generally. Weapon ranges/terrain scales still operate on the "fixed zoom overhead camera" principle. Break that and you have supcoms issue where you zoom out to see your units+enemy units on screen, but it's just a field of dots and boring to look at.

PA should work a lot better that way with it's pretty little spherical worlds and TA-like engagement distances.
  6. tatsujb

:( sure you had to zoom out alot to play good in fa but you'd also get repreive where you could take time to admire the tableau, I never stopped doing that.

*placeholder for FA ground flattened pics*
  7. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Thank you! I want to hear what you other guys think of?
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think it's really good idea. Good map need to have not only smooth height difference, but also some height levels. I love to have possibility to build base on hill or even plateau with multiple smooth sides. Currently map just too flat even with some terrain objects on it.

I don't like idea about rough terrains with lot of small pit and hills, but multiple playable height levels it's really nice idea.
  9. ubertrem

ubertrem New Member

That is amazing.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you please do not quote such large pictures? Thank.
  11. asgo

asgo Member

a bit memory hungry our friend the planet gen, with some reduced settings it snacks up to 30gig at a 760 radius. Not that one can call it real interactive anymore when trying to zoom in. ;)

interesting to see how different parts of the building process are parallelized differently, some parts run with multiple threads some just stress one core.
  12. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

I think it LOOKS amazing too, but i dont find its that good to PLAY on.
    Therefore i think the idea for this plateau-thing could be the right way.
    Last edited: July 19, 2013
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

How do you guys make planets with a bigger radius than 100? I am capped at this number
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

We edit UI, check Colin post here:
    viewtopic.php?p=763160#p763160
  15. superouman

Thanks! I was expecting to edit the number in a file but i had no idea which one.
  16. tatsujb

did you actually do that?? you need to post sreenshots bra.
    just take a screenshot as soon as you have the planet, before it crashes or whatnot. also have a screen recording software at the ready. I'd recomend OBS
  17. superouman

Pics or it didn't happen
  18. asgo

asgo Member

not really a beauty of a planet ;)

Attached Files:

• 761.jpg
      761.jpg
      File size:
      103.7 KB
      Views:
  19. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

It sorta looks like you lose any sense of continents at larger sizes, instead getting quite a minecraft-esque arrangement of just a huge mess of lakes.
  20. tatsujb

No, he just put the height range on 0 which kills water (and allows you to go much higher on size)
    Last edited: July 19, 2013