Planet size contest ;)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SXX, July 16, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I sure some people (e.g who not in alpha) wonder how different size planets looks like:

I'm made different screenshots and also made few screenshots with modified UI with extra large radius 118 and 136.

This is normal planet with tropical biome which always was biggest in all pre-50742 builds:

This is planet with 99 radius which is biggest what you can set by default UI:

There is two screenshots of planets generated with modified UI, with 118 radius:

And other with 136 radius, but for some reason it's have no water, and it's eats 6.2GB of RAM:

I can't go bigger because I only have 8GB in current gaming computer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 17, 2013
    archcommander likes this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Re: Planet size comparison

And this how super-small planet looks like, it's generated by editor with radius 0:

Looks like one from Little Big Adventure 2:

Attached Files:

3. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Wow, nice work.

But if the largest of those planets doesn't have water, what are those blue lines on it?
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Only 136-radius planet doesn't have water on it. Lines its just textures.

PS: Oops, it's was 136 radius. :)
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

hmm wow

if you give me the ui files I could generate a bigger one, I have 16gigs of 2400 9-11-11-31 ram

I only have 1 gig of vram though, that may be a hindering factor.

But I love that you can mod PA to go beyond UI limits if you have the beast for it. :)
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You can edit the file PA/media/ui/alpha/system_editor/system_editor.js
    All you need to do is change the max: 100 to max: whatever.

With a planet bigger than the sun the sun should orbit the planet I guess.
    I am wondering: Is that a scenario that has been observed somewhere far away? A small sun around a super sized planet? Or is that impossible in reality due to the fact that the planet would implode because it is too big or the sun would be too small to burn?
  7. teddythebear

teddythebear Member

8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I have 1GB of VRAM too, so it's not problem, at lease for Linux with open source AMD driver. It's take extreme amount of time (up to 2 minutes) to finish frame rendering, but it's not crash.

Game actually trying to allocate extreme amount of VRAM like 300mb-1400mb (i got driver errors log in console), but it's don't get it and render frame with 1GB, have no idea how it may work. :mrgreen:
  9. tatsujb

System with two suns rotating around one another have been observed, but I think it isn't possible for suns to have bigger planets around them I don't see how that could happen as the planets are supposed to form from the birthing sun's gaz ring.

Thanks Cola I'll try it out, didn't think it would be that direct and accessible.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Everything in PA is direct and accessible, or you just need hex editor.
    Post screenshots somewhere if you able to generate planets with 150+ radius.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Trying to generate a ~150 Planet reliably crashes when it renders the first, black preview of the planet @ 12GB used for PA.
    Maybe I would need to enable virtual memory for this. xD
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

12 gigs devoted to a single program, all of which are being loaded in a matter of seconds.

I would want a quantum computer for something like that. I'm afraid my memory chips would just ask for their paycheck and quit.
  13. tatsujb

No I think minecraft was capable of hitting really high in memory usage, as well as After Effects, Maya, Premiere and even photoshop in extreme cases.

Alright 150+ here I come. If I dissapear from the forums for a while it may be because I need to buy a new computer. :lol:
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I want more memory so much, but 9-9-9-24 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7) RAM is expensive. Don't sure if I should upgrade to 200$ tier or buy more RAM.

Let's biggest planet contest begin!
  15. comham

comham Active Member

Tiny planet! :D
  16. tatsujb

17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Looks great, you can make screenshots like mine, with minimal size, so it's should be easier to compare planets.

PS: Also can you enable performance stats, so we can see more tech numbers.
  18. tatsujb

ok will do for this new one... 500 it been running for quite awhile now, I don't think I'll ever see the end of it :roll: it's trying to write all the ram to C: but I'm out of space there. I wish it would allow writing to other hard drives.

I think I'll have to start over as it can't find any free space. my C drive is a revodrive and it only has 111GB

edit : Nope.
    I did the disk cleaning couple times but eventually it cleaned nothing and I had 0.0bytes free on C:
    wanna know what that looks like? well unfortunately I can't show you because the files I saved would glitch out and only partially save, but essentially it was interesting because the usage bar on the drive dissapeared.

I will try to free up at least 20 gig of disk space and try again.
  19. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Two Hundred and Fifty, on a 8GB machine. I cheated a bit though by setting all the options to what I thought would use the least amount of memory. This one got up to 4.8GB memory use.

Attached Files:

• 250.png
      250.png
      File size:
      321.6 KB
      Views:
  20. tatsujb

SOON™

EDIT : It's stacked 39,5GB of virtual ram across three different drives + the 16Gb of ram and I still can't see the end of it. I can out-harddrive space it simply it's taking too long and I don't know if it'll ever finish.
    I think 500 isn't doable.

EDIT 2 : so here's a 310 instead. Sad face for not getting the 500. but looking at this one is amazing, the atmosphere height to planet height ratio really looks like our planet earth

Attached Files:

• s.jpg
      s.jpg
      File size:
      16.6 KB
      Views:
    • hf.jpg
      hf.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
    • dsf.jpg