Parachute Flares to illuminate the dark.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by syox, May 4, 2013.

1. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Flare could be dropped out of bomber with camera and hover over the battlefield for a set period of time (10 seconds) every time a bomb is dropped.
  2. syox

syox Member

Thats not what i thought of.
    I dont want to change camera, just light up the battlefield, against readability issues. :)
  3. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Sorry, I didn't mean the user camera. I mean the flare might want to have a vision radius while it is illuminating the battle field.
  4. slimexpert

slimexpert New Member

Well, when I read this initially, I thought, no, not a great idea. Sorry. :|

However, on second thought, and combined with the other post regarding reduced night vision, this would be a good addition. :D

I think though you would want to make it easy to access, like all units could fire a flare, you just have a unit selected. And press f or something. If you have 20 units selected, then a few of them will fire flares.

For units on patrol, perhaps have an option where the launch a flare periodically, when the last one goes out, so, they can have better distance viewing - but, at the expense of giving away their position.

Slim
  5. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

If you added this effect to weapons fire if would be fun
  6. syox

syox Member

like this :?:
    At around 29 secs you see the effect of a real flare. No parachute though.
  7. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

What about a scout plane/helicopter that has something like the night sunspot light that cop heli's use to illuminate areas.
  8. syox

syox Member

it could also ad some nice shadow FX
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Lethal balls of plasma and rocket engines tend to generate lots of light. If things are fighting, there should be no shortage of powerful light sources.
  10. syox

syox Member

Yes but they are kind of fast, thats more like stroboscopic light.
    Flares do last some seconds, think of the epileptics aswell.