PA.exe has stopped Responding

Discussion in 'Support!' started by murrayphd, December 22, 2014.

1. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Okay, so I have been receiving the PA.exe has stopped responding since three updates ago. I have done everything I have seen in the troubleshooting segments, both here and on the steam forums. I have attached my current dxd (from 1608PDT)

Attached Files:

2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Everything looks alright in the DxDiag.

Sometimes PA encounters crashes that have nothing to do with hardware, so you should upload pa.log, which is usually found in "C:\Users\(Name)\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log"

Also, maybe you have software on this list?
  3. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Okay here ya go.

Attached Files:

4. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

No, I went over that list, I do not have any. About three patches ago this started, since then I haven't added or removed anything from my PC.
  5. killerkiwijuice

the log looks alright, unless I missed something.

What exactly are you doing in-game when it crashes, any kind of pattern that might be of importance?
  6. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

No real pattern, if I play online, it will crash within 5 mins, if I play skirmish it crashes after 5 - 45 min. Galactic War, well that crashes when I start, or when I select fight, or when I select my spawn, and of course anytime during gameplay. Sometimes if I go pure rush I can finish a game, and then it will crash as it tries to load the gw menu.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Quick question, do you use (or have *ever* used) any mods?

If the answer is 'yes' then try launching the game with the "--nomods" switch enabled. It will prevent PA mounting any mod folders anywhere (it has a nasty habit of picking up mods from old installs which is why some people miss them). If you use the Uber launcher, then you can add the switch into the command line options in settings. If you use the Steam version I'm not sure the best way to do it. I guess find the "PA.exe" file and use the command prompt to run it manually (i.e. type 'CMD' into the search box in Start menu and press enter, navigate to the Steam Aps directory, then type "pa.exe --nomods" and press enter again).

If that cures the issue then you'll need to delete your mod folders (and then reinstall any mods you want) to prevent further issues.

The other switch you could try is "--softwareui" as this will prevent hardware acceleration for the UI. That was probably the biggest change with the new update and could be your problem so worth a try if --nomods isn't helpful.
  8. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Tried, no success, still keeps crashing.
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

In the past I've seen USB headsets cause trouble. I don't know if that was ever completely resolved, so can you try unplugging your Afterglow Gaming Headset and try to play PA. Does it still crash then? This is not a solution of course. I'm just trying to find the cause of the crashes.
  10. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Okay, so I did a clean install, after deleting everything, and with the -- nomods command it seems to be running fine. Finally I can continue my dominance of the GALAXY. Thanks guys.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  11. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Now it crashed again. What the hell...

Attached Files:

12. killerkiwijuice

I see seven abnormal errors

[10:46:02.828] ERROR Failed loading panel 2, path coui://ui/main/game/galactic_war/gw_lobby/gw_lobby.html: net::ERR_ABORTED

[10:46:03.437] ERROR Failed loading panel 4, path coui://ui/main/game/building_planets/building_planets.html: net::ERR_ABORTED

[10:55:40.250] ERROR Failed loading panel 32, path coui://ui/main/game/building_planets/building_planets.html: net::ERR_ABORTED

[11:07:57.468] ERROR Unknown value (CylinderZ) for particle emitter type

[11:46:14.578] ERROR Failed loading panel 4, path coui://ui/main/game/building_planets/building_planets.html: net::ERR_ABORTED

[11:53:47.937] ERROR client::HolodeckCoherentBinder::cameraLookAt malformed message.

[12:16:58.078] ERROR Unknown value (CylinderZ) for particle emitter type

These errors look like things out of your control. It might have been just a coincidence. Also, remind me, is there a reconnect button in GW? I certainly hope so... MP and skirmish has one.
  13. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

I don't see one in GW
  14. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

This time it let me finish the battle, only to crash trying to load the GW map.

Attached Files:

15. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Still crashing.

Attached Files:

16. DeathByDenim

I looked over your dxdiag again and noticed there was a report of a PA crash in there caused by an AMD library, which seems to indicate a graphics driver bug...

There are also some problems with Windows Defender and Windows Update, but I'm not sure if those do anything. You can try disabling all firewalls and virus scanners and see if you can play a local game without crashing.

Another thing you could try is using the UberLauncher instead of Steam if you haven't already.
  17. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Where would I acquire said launcher?
  18. DeathByDenim

Oh, right. Sorry. It's here: http://uberent.com/launcher/padownloads
  19. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Still crashing, even with the launcher.

Attached Files:

20. DeathByDenim

Do you have any software running in the background that could possibly try to display pop-ups or overlays or anything that could mess with PA's OpenGL usage? For example, the Steam overlay has been known to cause crashes, which you wouldn't have when playing using the UberLauncher of course, but anything like that?

Could you try to stop as many background programs as possible and see if it still crashes? Sorry it's such a hassle for you. Most of the time PA runs really well.

Another thing you can try is doing a clean install of the graphics drivers, since one of the crashes was in a dll belonging to the AMD drivers. You can try this solution that xhpietian found.

Oh, and another thought. Could you test your memory sticks and see if they come up with any errors? You can just memtest for that. It's probably unlikely as you said this only started happening three updates ago, but since you've tried almost everything else already...