Official Localization Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felipec

felipec Active Member

Yeah! The same for Portuguese (Brazil)
  2. ilastsamuraii

ilastsamuraii New Member

Do you still need input for the german translation? I would be glad to help.
  3. th33x1l3

th33x1l3 New Member

I have done some work in Portuguese(portugal). Just need confimation from some other users
  4. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

If it is still relevant, I shall help out with the Spanish translation. As you will see in my profile, I'm from Puerto Rico, so it's not the traditional European Spanish. It could be considered Latin American Spanish. I still haven't visited the translation site yet, but I plan to do so as soon as I can; but as a result, I have a question...

Is there a Latin American Spanish version of the game? Or will it have to be shoehorned into European Spanish? :?

EDIT: Okay, I see that there is indeed a Latin America/Caribbean Spanish section. That's great... I shall now see what we have here... :cool:
  5. freemangl

freemangl Member

Try transifex.com instead of getlocalization.com, transifex.com is more powerful and more friendly to use. And most importantly, it's free and no limitation for a public translation program.

https://www.transifex.com/
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Thanks for the pointer to Transifex. I'll check it out and see how it works. If it can work in JSON, no reason we couldn't switch to it fairly easily if it really is superior.
  7. miturian

miturian Member

had a look through the Danish translations. some of them had slightly English grammar, but most were just fine. how many people need to have been over them before they are finalized?
  8. freemangl

freemangl Member

Yes, transifex supports JSON. You can simply upload the source strings and translated strings to it. Transifex will automatically match the strings.

And for management consideration, it also more convenient than getlocalization. ;)
  9. garat

I have a test project setup in there, and I've imported most of the existing translations. It's honestly not much different, but there are a few specific customizations that I like, such as more obvious ways to get to the context data for a string, and just a snappier website in general. Once I have a little more time messing around with it, I'll share the link here to see what people think.
  10. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

Roger that, Grimseff One on standby... :cool:
  11. garat

And if the more intrepid soul who already found it and requested Russian is on here, please hold your horses. :) Not ready for outside input yet!
  12. dbiton

dbiton Member

Hebrew

Will you prefer me to translate "planetary Annihilation" as like, the sounds it makes like p-פ la-
    לה, or will you prefer a transliton of what it means, "השמדה כוכבית"?
  13. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

This is a funny question for the most people who don't understand the language :mrgreen:

I think the name of the game shouldn't be translated? :?
  14. dbiton

dbiton Member

if you are fammiler with a second languge, per say spanish, you may had a time when you wanted to translate a name of a prodact, like red alert lets say, or ta, well do you translate the name of the product in the meaning wich is plants exploding, or by the sounds you do by moving your tongue, like trying to get as much as close to how you say it in english. not that it matter dure to the fact i finishd translate all the stringsd.
  15. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Started translating croatian, I have a finnish friend that will help out with obviously finnish. I also have some dutch friends, could get them to help out with that as well.
  16. syox

syox Member

Well how is the general consensus with foreign words in your country?
    I know: in Japanese all foreign words(as in names etc) are usually translated phonetically by using katakana letters. While in french the common is to make everything as french as possible.
  17. freemangl

freemangl Member

any news about using transifex?
  18. garat

It looks nice, but it's not free at all - 14 day trial, and while I don't object to paying for something, I'd rather know it's actually gonna work the way I expect first. :)

It's on my list, and based on how we're building all our loc strings, would be easy to move to if and when it makes sense.

In other news, we almost have loc support on our website. It's been slowly worked on, but we're finally almost at the point where we'll have a partially translated version of store.uberent.com in a number of languages. Once the engineer working on this checks his stuff in, I'll update all the strings on the current site, and we'll be able to finish the full run through the system.

This is effectively the exact same localization process we plan to use for the game itself, so if this proves itself out, there's a good chance we'll have translations in the game itself within a build or two of the alpha being live. Which would be SWEET.

As for getloc vs transifex. I'll continue to weigh options and adjust my thinking, but not until I have to. For the moment, it's under the ain't broke, won't fix. But that will probably change. :)
  19. freemangl

freemangl Member

It's free and no words limit for non-private project, manage your project Details and do not click "Private" and choose "Other open-source" License type. Everything is gonna be okay. :)
  20. garat

I'll have to read the terms of the license before hand then. Once I read through it, I'll see what I can do with it. Thanks for the clarification!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.