No servers or multiplayer games appearing.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by radmoustic, August 31, 2014.

1. radmoustic

radmoustic New Member

You'd better fix this (it has been like this forever) before the release !
  2. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Enabling gzip compression would be a huge good start. Pre-filtering GW games would be another step in the right direction.
  3. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

It is really weird. I use ajax all the time on my server for websites and it is only 1kb usually at most. Seems like a total waste of bandwidth and money.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It queries a huge json blob of data like once per second that holds information about all games.
    While working on external UI I discovered already that the ubernet backend that this data is queried from in fact already supports gzip. All PA would need to do is add the specific header when doing the request, that worked fine for me with external UI.

So yeah gzip would be great, additionally few simple server side filters should then fix it completely.
    Antiglow and warrenkc like this.
  5. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

That must be a huge blob of data. I think it could stream a live video stream of the screen that would be more efficient. :)
  6. cola_colin

Well yeah, probably around 400kb of json that is queried once every second ;)
  7. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

A snapshot of that blob currently has ~440 entries:
    • 14 are old builds
    • ~360 games have no TitleData (what are these? GW?)
    • ~70 seem to be multiplayer games
    • ~50 games are filtered out due to max_player = 0 (what are these?)
    • ~20 are valid games (including whitelisted)
    • ~15 games are what most people probably see in the lobby with no filters
    How does 400+ entries get down to 15-20 multiplayer games? Are that many people playing GW?
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
  8. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Yeah, who needs to see other people's galactic wars by default?
  9. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

It seems there isn't GW games in this list anymore, just tried to see myself without success :p
    But I'm curious to know what are all those games without "TitleData", crashed lobbies maybe.

Currently 932 games & 1137 players for 470KiB of json data (formatted & not gzipped, the YOLO API)
  10. mikeyh

I'm not sure that game count is correct as there are only ~550 game entries... maybe that includes GW games.

At least it's a good test of your network... if you can't handle the lobby traffic then you're unlikely to handle a big game ;-)
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

This is an extremely annoying bug... it takes a few minutes to load the servers and a lot of my patience away.

[​IMG]

I know this happens to other people but no threads on it
    warrenkc likes this.
  12. n00n

n00n Active Member

With the current list hitting 815K I had to patch libcurl to use gzip by default to get the lobby usable again. Posted to bug tracker: PA#4049 (Linux only workaround, sorry).
    Last edited: September 7, 2014
    warrenkc and cola_colin like this.
  13. mikeyh

At startup this can be caused by the number of queued network connections downloading user data via /GameClient/UserName?UberId=

On my system there are 720+ connections queued at startup and this continues to increase as I play with new users.

This can also cause a really slow connecting to playfab depending on the order in which events fire.

I mentioned it here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pte-stream-71673.63599/#post-991431

Also see: PA#4068
  14. cola_colin

15. mikeyh

That's a different issue from startup > lobby.

On my system there are currently 783 network connections at startup with a limit of 8 concurrent connections.

The last 750 of these connections are for user data via: /GameClient/UserName?UberId=

After 776 of these network connections are complete the first response is returned for the list of games.
  16. cola_colin

Different issue or not, it definitely is an issue if your connection is totally overloaded, as the game currently does a get for the full game list every second.
    The 750+ connections to that otther Ubernet call probably dont make it better on top of that ^^
  17. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Buttons take 30 seconds to a minute to respond, or do not work at all. It was irritating during the tournament bceause everyone was pissed that it took me so long to do stuff. I just updated my graphics driver, and you can see my computer is not bad according to my dxdiag.

Attached Files:

18. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Is there any way to fix this?

There is no setting in the game.
  19. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I have a 100 MBit/sec connection (12.5 MB/s top speed) and it sometimes takes half a minute to load the game list ... :(
    Last edited: September 8, 2014
  20. Rehmanpa

Rehmanpa New Member

Hi, my friend just recently got this game (like 2 days ago) and there are no multiplayer games what so ever appearing for him. He bought it off of Steam, and he says he unblocked it with his firewall. He also says he got his Uber account set up right, so what is going on? Please help!