Modding Tutorial Stream

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by emraldis, March 2, 2015.

1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Hey guys, I'm going to be trying something interesting. Every Saturday afternoon (17:00 UTC or so) I'll be streaming about modding PA. Just doing little tutorials on how to mod PA. I'll start with the basics of modifying existing units, then work my way up through file structures, adding new units, and eventually see if I can do some AI modding tutorials. If anyone is interested in helping out (say, doing some model/texture importing, or something along those lines) I'd be happy to get you on for a session or two as a guest speaker, just give me a shout! I'll be starting this Saturday, streaming from my twitch account, at: http://www.twitch.tv/emraldis

Feel free to watch, give feedback, or suggestions!
    Last edited: March 3, 2015
  2. Azarath

Azarath Member

I wonder if the steams will be saved for later use? (stupid question).

I've been interested in doing some modding for PA for some time now, especially Command & Conquer related.
    But when I took a look at the modding forum it became too muh, kinda scared me away.

What I would like to see, as you mentioned are modeling, texturing, how to do particle effects etc
    How to set metal cost, damage, health, movement speed for units and buildings etc

I also wonder which 3D program will be in focus? I personally use Blender.
  3. emraldis

I will be saving the streams, don't worry. :) I will cover most of those topics, though I'll have to get a bit better at particle effects or AI modding before I cover them in detail. As for the modelling program, I have (but am not good with) blender as well, but 3DS max is the one that works best with the PA model conversion tools, I have been told.
  4. Azarath

Azarath Member

I see. I will be looking forward to your video tutorials then :)
    Hopefully it will be less scary afterwards.
  5. emraldis

It's fairly easy, hopefully I can help! :)
  6. Azarath

Azarath Member

Thanks, I would appreciate it :)

When it comes to 3D modding, like creating a unit. My "problem" is this:

How do I tell the program that the projectiles should come out of the barrel of the unit?
    Which projectile effect should be used?
    If I want my unit to have flamethrowers, lasers, beam weapons or a tesla gun. How do I make those effects?
    Do I have to export those effects into their own files before I add them as a weapon effect to my unit or how does it work?
    How do I set the headlights?
    If it has a turning part, how do I rig it?
    If it has a walking animation, how do I export that to the game and that it should repeat the animation when the unit is walking?

You don't have to answer all those questions.

The list goes on for a while. For me, this is the most difficult part. How to "program" the 3D model.
    Maybe I'm thinking too much. I'm doing 3D models and renders as a hobby.
    How a 3D model works in a game engine is currently beyond my knowledge.
  7. emraldis

I'll cover this in more detail in the stream, but most of these things aren't done in blender. The only things blender (or 3DS max) does, is make the model, provide animations for the models to use, and texture the model. Everything else is in the mod files.
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

1am local... have fun. Let me know if you'd like to shift times to talk about UI or biomes. ;^)
  9. emraldis

You're right, that is really early. Hold on, I meant 17:00 UTC XD
    wondible likes this.
  10. Azarath

Azarath Member

I knew I was a bit off track on how it really works. But like I said, I'm looking forward to the videos.
    Once I learn how it works and when I manage to implement my first building/structure into the game.
    First it's going to make me very happy ^^
    Secondly, I can start mass producing my ideas into reality and I will become some evil scientist trying to take over the world.
  11. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

I'd be interested in some UI tutorials, including the Menus, server browser, game lobby, as well as the game UI. Anything that you can cover would be great!
  12. emraldis

I'll be doing server mods for now, since that's my area of expertise, but perhaps I could get someone else on...
  13. emraldis

All right guys, I'm going live in two hours!
  14. emraldis

Ok, so the first stream is done, wasn't too long. I'll have it up on highlights as soon as I can for those of you who weren't able to make it in time. Hopefully next time well have a few less issues (IE. I'll be a bit more organized :p) and we can cover things more in depth. I'll announce what I'm going to cover by next thursday, that'll make me plan ahead. :)

EDIT: Any constructive criticism is helpful, so let me know what I need to fix/could do better.
    I am aware there may have been an issue where the banner replaced the game in the stream, not quite sure why, but It'll be fixed for the next stream.
  15. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Will you be posting these to YouTube as well?
  16. emraldis

I will see what I can do.
  17. emraldis

All right, so this saturday, i'm going to go over the basics of adding a new unit to the game, and how to make it show up on the build bar. I'll probably be going over some more of the json file values as well. Hopefully this time I'll be better prepared :p
  18. emraldis

All right, gonna be going live again in an hour or so.

EDIT: Sorry about not uploading stuff to youtube, I've been quite busy this past week. I'll see if I can get it done today or tomorrow...
  19. hurricnzj

hurricnzj New Member

I like the streams allot man, very helpfull. Only my twitch does not like to buffer video's lol.

Anyway, I got my first unit in the game! Thanks
    emraldis likes this.
  20. emraldis

I am going to delay the saturday stream to either later on saturday, or regular time, but on sunday. Also, I have not really had any time to upload to youtube, I'll keep trying to find time, but my schedule is pretty cramped right now...