Modding Tools

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by CrancK, January 7, 2011.

1. CrancK

CrancK New Member

well, as title says, i'd love to get my hand on some modding tools

any idea about if and/or when you might release any?

(or can i already mod stuff, by just placing unrealscripts in some folder? and it'll automatically detect them? or is that too hopefull?)
  2. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

It says January on the Steam page. We will get an adapted UDK afaik.
  3. CrancK

CrancK New Member

doh, totally forgot to look there, but thats cool, since it's january already, can't wait :D
  4. Col_Jessep

Don't be sad if it is the end of January or maybe even February. I'd rather see Uber working on bugs and final adjustments - at least for now. I have so much fun playing the game that I won't do much modding in the near future anyway. Plus, the more you know about gameplay, the better your maps... ;)
  5. Ferocity

Ferocity New Member

I guess you will make a map where there is walls, unbreakable glass and everything to cockblock snipers and make it in favor for Gunners and Tanks :lol:
  6. Col_Jessep

Nope, I'll just place ejectors under all convenient camping positions and put the trigger right next to the respawn room of the enemy team. That way the Snipers won't forget what the buttons WASD are for.
  7. Ferocity

Ferocity New Member

You fiend!
  8. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I could not resist reading this thread. I am so broken not being able to mod with MNC. :cry:

I kind of have a question. Is using the UDK hard to learn? Like do you need to know a lot about programming?
  9. Col_Jessep

Oi, your question somehow slipped past me DeadStretch, sorry. I haven't worked with the UDK yet but I assume some coding will be required. It's probably not that hard to learn and there is always something you can do without coding knowledge. But I would assume maps that are similar in functionality to the ones Uber made should not require much coding. Maybe some copypasta.

I think it's likely that we will have teams sooner or later to grapple the larger projects. So everybody is probably going to what he likes best. I'll probably take a stab at textures and some easy 3D stuff.
  10. DeadStretch

Hey no need to apologize, by the way good morning. :)

Anyways thank you for that insight. Map making is my real passion and no matter how long it takes I will learn with the UDK, eventually.

Here's a map I made in Far Cry 2 in 2 hours. Every single little piece of detail was done by me even down to the lighting and time of day. Excuse the guy from walking around since it was his first time on the map. Like I said I have been map editing, on consoles, since Excite Bike for NES.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKonaRLFb3Y
  11. Col_Jessep

Nice! I like!

I have been mostly mapping for Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. My main goal is to make maps with custom content. New textures, decals, theme maps and the like.

A good example would probably be my Portal appreciation map 'Aperture Laboratories'

This is what a normal SupCom map looks like:

[​IMG]

And these are two of my custom maps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. DeadStretch

Oh wow that's freaking cool.
  13. CrancK

CrancK New Member

ok, after some checking on modding for unreal 3 engine,

i would like to ask if "editor support" (quoted from steam page) also means that the devs will publish a scriptsource like ut3 has? (http://udn.epicgames.com/Files/UT3/Mods ... ce_1.5.rar)

(because otherwise modding might be difficultish)
  14. CrancK

CrancK New Member

also, ut3 has mutators, mods and tc's, will mnc have the same kinds? or... you know.. any info regarding mod/scripting support? (so i know what the possibilties are)

(plz, i'd so love an awnser, since i could already do some of the basic coding now, and have something nearly ready to compile when the editor/scriptsource gets activated/added)
  15. CrancK

CrancK New Member

Ok so, game has been released, and no editor support yet.... and no awnser or even hint at if it will arrive, and if/when it does, what it will have?

(or any indication or any info regarding support for mods, would be welcome, since atm i'm still in the dark about wether or not mnc is even going to support scripting/modding (since "editor support" doesn't tell me much)
  16. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

In due time. Patience is a virtue. They're still working on essentials at the moment I'm sure. So this would/should be next on the list of stuff to finish/complete.

I'm not too worried. The maps and gameplay is still completely fresh that we can stand to not have any custom maps for awhile.
  17. zanarias

zanarias Member

They did say "in January" and not "at release." They still have a couple days I presume.
  18. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

i made all kinds of gameplay mods, weapons and character skins and models, maps, ect. for c&c renegade. was the first to realize that the original rules.ini file editor for c&c renegade could also mod apathbeyond (everyone else said it couldnt, i think they just said that and never tried)

even made the first anti-cheat. was simply a colored primary fire and a colored secondary fire. that way when us moderators go to test someone for damage and size hacks, we test both their fire buttons. obvious hackers who we test and they use one fire button for normal damage and another for insta-kill would finally be identifiable.

did a little bit for CoD. not too much, just server editing and stuff.

and i hope to make cool things for this game. different skins, perk up the gameplay with good balancing ideas, maybe even take a swing at a map. if i make a map, i wana make a map with some height to it. not just 2 layers of height, but cliffs and trenches and bases with height advantage.
  19. Jono00

Jono00 New Member

Well it's 2 hours away from February here, any news about the editor?
  20. CrancK

CrancK New Member

Hmm, february + no word WHAT-SO-EVER, about modding/editor support, does this mean we're going down the EA road?

(just a little comment by devs saying relax/coming/whatever to soothe me plz? or is the lack of response an indication of what to come? (as i fear it may be))