Manhattan Project: Helios delivers Manhattans to your doorstop!

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by doomrater, August 26, 2015.

1. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Seroiously this is the cheapest nuke idea I've ever seen. Drop over commander, who needs any other units because Manhattan is a fully functional nuke and the helios has damaged the commander enough for nuke to kill in one hit. What's the counter? Stop the Helios or destroy the manhattans inside where ever they're being manufactured, neither of which are particularly simple.

Not saying I don't love it, but why drop anything else from a Helios to end the game?
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

3. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

Just add 10-20 sec cooldown to Helios' teleport after arriving in orbit. That will fix it.
  4. Bersercker

Bersercker New Member

Isn't arrival point from outer space to orbit fixed? (not sure about that but i always thought it is)
    So you could saturate it with umbrellas both inside and outside the range of manhattan explosion, and put the commander away from it.

If the cooldown is added then Helios would become not much better than a bunch of orbital fabbers building teleporter...

On the other hand, adding a cooldown and removing the ability to build teleporters with orbital fabbers might be great too, since imo, its too easy and cheap to invade planets this way currently. And successful invasion relies more on opponent's insufficient APM than on eco, build orders etc.
  5. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I'd say add 20 sec activation time* for a Manhattan that went through a teleport. That should fix it without nerfing helios, shouldn't it?

*Activation time as in activating the nuke death effect. Imagine it would be pretty annoying to have an immovable huge nuke thingy blocking your teleporter. Not sure if possible tho.
    Last edited: August 26, 2015
  6. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

too complicated
  7. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

A normal nuke = 50k metal
    a manhattan = 8k

So yeah, triple the cost of the Manhattan
  8. temeter

Helios Titan = 30k

As an extra bonus, manhattans are imo far more fun to use, too!

Btw, are nukes more precisely 14.4k for launcher and 32.4k for missile, or are these numbers outdated?
    huangth likes this.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Classic costs 50k per missile, Titans costs 30k per missile. So cost wise nukes are kind of like missile-titans ;^)

http://pa-db.com/unit/nuke_launcher?version=86422
    http://pa-db.com/unit/nuke_launcher
    temeter likes this.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

heh, not sure what to think about nuke balance.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Don't think. Just nuke.
  12. temeter

Thanks, I somehow overlooked the point about ammo-cost! That explains why my enemy was able to spam so many missiles last game. Seems like anti-nukes are becoming more of an investments.

Still I'm hoping Manhattan doesn't have to be nerfed, it takes already a lot of money and and T2 factory time. It's such a silly fun unit.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i would be ok with it being a basebuster than combuster ..
    but seriously with helioses being a thing people need to adapt more torwards orbital now ..
    i defenitevely go try out what works best against orbital, titans and manhattans ..
    maybe people should sandbox more first ...
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

To be fair the build hover UI is misreporting it. Since the missiles are not standard units they are hacked into the build UI, and having different costs in each content mode makes it less trivial than fixing a number.
  15. temeter

I can see why the Helios/Manhattan combo is hard to beat, but there are enough experienced RTS devs out there who hardcore nerfed units because of a single special use-case, making them a pain to use even in legit applications.

Btw, wouldn't be the easiest change just to make the helios not teleportable by helios? It means taking out a strat, but if it's necessary...

Yep, I was also checking it on PAMatches, which apparently shows completely outdated number from the beta. Didn't help. :rolleyes:
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

Don't nukes do less damage to commanders, unlike Manhattans?
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@brianpurkiss Can something be done about the PAMatches data being completely outdated?
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That was patched in the PTE I believe.
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

He is taking the site down. The changes made to PA in Titans were not to his liking. And, I might add, they wouldn't be my first choice either. He's burning cash to keep the thing afloat, and there are other things he'd rather do with that dough.

He's also tired of the hypocrisy and bullying from the Exodus crew towards him and others who were once among us.
    Thankfully many of those in Uber who....encouraged such behavior are gone or no longer interact with the community. Brian will only be missed by a few in the community, but we few owe him a great deal.
    badfucatus, optimi, Bsport and 3 others like this.
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

This is how Fallout happened.
    mered4 and MrTBSC like this.