Lost settings in System Designer

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by b8factor, January 19, 2015.

1. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

So, I have a system I like to play... I want to adjust slightly; however when I load in the system editor it does not have the CSG, MEX, or landing zones set how I see them when we play the map.

I just want to edit the landing zones a little bit, is there a work around to get back into the system the way it was the last time I saved it? The last time I saved it HAS to be the way it is when we play it so I am confused.

Tried to find similar post and did not know what search words to use so I am sorry if this is already answered.
    guest1 likes this.
  2. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Please export the system and post it.
  3. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

I shared the system, said "D
    default Server Cool.

Here is the file, see at attached.

Play this game online with people it looks and plays like I designed it. However when i open in system editor the World in the System looks like it did, BEFORE i did any editing.

Attached Files:

4. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

Alpha2546 likes this.
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

What I've noticed when checking the system is that when you open up the system and click on preview all that you'll see the changes that you have done. However as soon as you directly zoom in on the planet it'll rerender it to its original state. I have no idea how it works but the changes are there but as soon as you'll zoom in on the planet it'll lose the changes. The advanced system editor can't retrieve the personal changes sometimes while the preview all does show all your changes.

I've had the same thing with a system of mine. The difference is that this system was made before the game had the function advanced system editor immidiatly rendering the planet.

@masterdigital I'll add my map too but, remember that this map was made before the insta rendering when you zoom in on the planet ( before the locked advanced editor mode).

Attached Files:

6. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

I can confirm that I am experiencing this issue as well: the problem is that when the system designer loads a system file, it does not display (or indeed recognise) anything beyond the default, automatically generated terrain. However, when you load a map in the game, or export a newly-customised system to .pas, it loads & retains all the custom CSG, metal, etc. just fine. The issue seems to be independent of any particular map file, as it has occurred with pretty much every system I've customised in this way.
  7. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I've found this to be an issue as well. Curiously, planets sometimes revert to random CSG even when the planet object has both planetCSG and source.brushes set. @masterdigital I could try to get a reproducible case if you're interested.
  8. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

That's more than I've been able to do at present - sometimes it works just fine, and I can work on and refine a map with as many CSG edits as I want, other times, I can't get the system editor to recognise a single edit I make and it reverts to default CSG time after time. This one has me stumped atm, would love a solution. Guest - I already know you're the man with your sick custom brushes, so if you sort this my only recourse will be to send you cake.*

*Provided you live in the UK. Further is less delicious. :(
  9. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I can do this 100% of the time with lava maps
  10. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

I am still seeing this issue with every system I create. Has anyone found the steps to prevent the CSG from reverting back to the planet's original state? I want to create new systems to play can not until this is resolved.

I have not always had this problem so I am wondering it I am doing something in an order that is creating the issue or is it simply my installation of the PA?
  11. elodea

elodea Post Master General

yup this is pretty horrible.
    all my whuts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

With the new build I tried creating a new system. I got the 2 planets just the way I liked them BEFORE advanced editing began. I saved the planet and the system.

Having had many problems with the advanced edits not sticking I made 3 small changes to test so I did not waste a lot of time modifying the planet. I moved one start position. I deleted and created 3 mex. And I copied and pasted 1 CSG.

I saved the system and exited system designer. I went back in and loaded the system and all 3 advanced edit changes were ignored. System attached.

B8factor

Attached Files:

guest1 likes this.
  13. guest1

guest1 Active Member

This is really interesting. The CSG etc are clearly present in the .pas. When I import the system and open it in the editor, everything seems fine: source.brushes, source.metal_spots and source.landing_zones are all correctly loaded in the planet object.

As soon as I zoom in on a planet, I get the "this planet has been customized" banner. When the planet loads, its source property is set to undefined and none of the planetCSG, metal_spots or landing_zones properties have been created. It really is just forgetting all your customizations.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I have this exact same problem, it works in an actual game though.
    b8factor likes this.
  15. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Something I noticed, sometimes changing the biome type in the json fixes this. For example, I dowloaded guest's hourglass map, but it just displayed a random planet when I tried to edit it. Changing the planet biome resolved this.
  16. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

elaborate? Did you change it back? Or did changing the biome change the biomefor the playable planet as well?
  17. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

The planet was metal_boss in the json, with all the brushes and whatnot. In the editor though, it showed up as a random earth type planet. I changed it to metal, and the editor displayed the proper map, as well as allowing me to play on it.
  18. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I have fixxed your system.
    import this and then open it in the system designer and it should display as intended

Attached Files:

Alpha2546 likes this.
  19. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

Thanks, m8, great work!
    I have a question, where are the maps stored in PA? I was able to import this map back, which game me two in my list with the same name. I edited the later one you sent me and added a new planet. I changed starting positions. When I saved the system it added the new planet to the ORIGINAL system and not the last one added that you sent me. I think maybe I need to either delete these two systems and import your fixed one from scratch or find the actual map file on my PC and implement the fix. Your suggestions?

-B8
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hey um- Gandalf... Fixed is spelled with only one x.

Sorry... >///>