LiveStream, February 1st, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, January 28, 2013.

1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Listen again. The melody is strong, but it uses a frequency range/octave that game events don't use. The complete range of instruments is only used sparingly, and the bass is very soft so you can hear the explosions.

The PA music slams you at every frequency. There is no aural opening to allow anything from the game. Even dubstep would be less intrusive.
  2. Guardious

Guardious New Member

Loved the stream (had to catch the replay as many was working at the time), the only comment I would like to make is in the strategy arena, I think you got the music down firm, it sounds excellent for what you are attempting to create.

The only thing I ask for personally is what you guys briefly talked about. It would be great if when a base you are looking at or close to is about to be attacked we get those "ALARMS!" , this would also help with knowing your base is under attack. On the visual side it would also be great if you had those spinning lights (I like to think of the old 360 single red light beacon on top of the cop cars) that are maybe hooked to buildings or outer wall perimeters.

Eh, I am an older gamer, so the more visuals and sound you can throw at me knowing my appending doom is at hand the better! At least I will feel as I can do something about it, which in most cases will lead to my impending doom anyways :)

Again as far the music goes it really does sound great, I hope to hear some more of the "lighter" side stuff in the future, The earth planet theme you are working on sounds great, but I also felt it was a bit more industrial, when I think of earth among other planets I think of a rich environment with natural life all around. That really is my only modest difference of opinion in the music you are making, beyond that thou it does sounds fantastic.

To me if we come to a planet the first time an "intro theme" would play, this would be as described above, then as we play (after that intro is done) we come to what you created for the "earth" type planets. This would come across as "Aww what a wonderful place..." "ok , it's still wonderful but yeah, I kind of filled it up with all this metal technology". This now has a grander build scale to the music without being annoying or repetitive. My thought on it anyways.

Keep up the great work guys!
  3. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Hi,

About the soundtrack: I think the soundtrack needs a major theme. Almost every movie score has a strong major theme. Or a few of them.
    Everybody knows the strong major themes from Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Terminator, Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones, Beverly Hills Cop and even Knight Rider, etc.

Something that stands out. Something that is outstanding.

What I've heard a several times, seems to me without a clear direction. That does not mean that I don't like the soundtrack. There are a few great moments.

@mostrom: I bet you know that, but I have to post it anyway:
    Mozart " Requiem Dies Irae "

P.S.: I hope we all get what we desire.
  4. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

I just realized I've been humming some of the songs throughout the day.

Nice work :p
  5. jungleelf

jungleelf New Member

That's a good point, Cola! Some like it and some might get annoyed so make it a choice in the options.
  6. jungleelf

jungleelf New Member

I totally agree. Having fast paced, intense music all the time while playing for an hour or more would give you a headache.
    I also love lying on my bed listening to the more calm and gentle parts of the TA or SupCom soundtrack.
  7. jungleelf

jungleelf New Member

I really like the music so far. The best from my point of view was the theme of the kickstarter trailer! Absolutely wonderful!
    I don't think you need more inspiration, Howard, but I guess it's always good to have some additional inspiration in order to be creative. What do you think about Holst's "The Planets" with it's defferent themes for different planets? This could be quite inspiring and useful.
  8. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

My only critique.

http://youtu.be/RMmzyRIK9UY?t=3m5s

starting there, that course sounds like nintendo or zelda, or some 16 bit japanese rpg.

Personally, i'd like to hear Howard's taken on build music, which I assume would be a lot less ADD to the ears, and more soothing
  9. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I start to change my mind about my criticism.
    The more I listen to the music, the more I like it.
  10. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

11. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

when will the next livestream be?
  12. RCIX

RCIX Member

I approve of this necro.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

When Uber has something ready to present.

Mike
  14. feyder

feyder Member

I'm desperately waiting for the Alpha announcement haha, I want to watch PA evolve. I love watching games develop and change a meta game.
  15. skwibble

skwibble Member

We all know that Uber aren't sitting there doing nothing. Neutrino even said there was an ambitious deadline for the alpha. The way I see it, the longer until the next update, the more epic the update will be. I don't need them wasting an hour every week telling us about what they've done while they could be perfecting it - not that I don't enjoy the news too.