Use the In-Game Community Mods - Original PA Mod Manager (PAMM) is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Raevn, August 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Because in order to enable/disable the mod, it needs to be in the list of installed mods, which is based on ini files. Updating this to also look in the list of online mods is possible, but not trivial - given it's essentially an edge case that is already accomodated by ini files, its hard to justify the effort.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

true
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Sneak peak on what's to come. Install currently works, but there's lots of cleanup to do (error detection etc.).
    It now checks what version you have installed vs. what's available, too, and descriptions can now be added.

PAMM3.png
    kongkillha likes this.
  4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

The Nexus Mod Manager comes with that functionality? (Except that it acts as a plug-in in your browser on the NMM site, not the other way around.

Why not use a PA website (like PA Matches) to host them? Set up a modding hub for PA?
  5. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

Thumbs up, great work Raevn!
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Just adding a general function to install any mod directly ofc is better than specific solution anyway I guess.
    I assume you are hosting the mod files on your server and keep them up to date?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

At present, yes, although they can be hosted anywhere that allows direct downloading. The current setup is not ideal; I'd really like to give control over to the modders themselves so they aren't dependent on me updating the mod listings. I have a few ideas on how to do this though.
    kongkillha likes this.
  8. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I'm having an issue with your latest version (1.6) for some reason it won't write the mods to the mod list js file. It adds them to the array used by the mods list mod, but not to the main part of the file. It also displays a permission denied error whenever I run it and the available mods list doesn't load.
  9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That's odd. If you are still having this issue, can you send me your ui_mod_list.js file and the full text of any error messages that appeared?
  10. LavaSnake

Sure, here's the error: (BTW it appears after I give it admin permissions in the windows popup box.)
    Mod Manager Error.PNG

and here's what the available mods list looks like:
    Mod Manager Error 2.PNG

and here's my mod list js file:
    /* PA Stats Tracker Online Version */
    /* Private Marker */
    /* Profile Pic Fixer */
    /* Commander Health Display */
    /* Installed Mods List */
    /* Unit Info */

var rModsList = [{name: 'PA Stats Tracker Online Version', author: 'Cola_Colin, Gunshin', version: '10', build: '54696', category: 'Statistics Tracking'},{name: 'Private Marker', author: 'cola_colin', version: '', build: '', category: 'In-Game'},{name: 'Profile Pic Fixer', author: 'LavaSnake', version: '1.0', build: 'NA', category: 'Main Menu'},{name: 'Commander Health Display', author: 'raevn, danzel', version: '2.2.1', build: '56310', category: 'In-Game'},{name: 'Installed Mods List', author: 'raevn', version: '1.1.0', build: '56310', category: 'Main Menu'},{name: 'Unit Info', author: 'raevn', version: '1.1.0', build: '56516', category: 'In-Game'}];

/* start ui_mod_list */
    var global_mod_list = [

];
    var scene_mod_list = {'connect_to_game': [

],'game_over': [

],
    'icon_atlas': [

],
    'live_game': [

],
    'load_planet': [

],
    'lobby': [

],
    'matchmaking': [

],
    'new_game': [

],
    'server_browser': [

],
    'settings': [

],
    'special_icon_atlas': [

],
    'start': [

],
    'system_editor': [

],
    'transit': [

]
    }
    /* end ui_mod_list */​

Hope that helps!
  11. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

Had the same issue. Right click the pamm.exe -> Properties and unblock the file (This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer).
  12. LavaSnake

That doesn't have any effect. Thanks for trying though.
  13. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

I just started PA to see if there is a new update - I used the PAMM had the same issue again. Started the PAMM for like 3 times and it worked (no solution, but a 'work-around').
  14. LavaSnake

That's odd. It always has those same issues for me.
  15. stormingkiwi

I started having this issue - went into properties, advanced, and gave it full user permissions?
    Maybe that could work for you.
  16. LavaSnake

Still not working, sorry. I'm guessing it's an issue with the code, not with permissions. I know it edits the mod list file fine because it updates the rModsList array just fine. I'd look into it more, but my Visual Basic is a little rusty and it would take me awhile to figure out how everything works before I could actually attempt to find the bug. Could you look into it a see what's going on @raevn? I'd be happy to help if I can too.
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I've now gotten the error myself a few times. There's something really weird going on. I think there might be a race condition with downloading the available mod list, and it therefore trying to write the file while it's still open (networking/downloading with VB is new to me), but the other error (the half written ui_mod_list.js) is just bizarre.

For now, try closing PAMM, and deleting both the ui_mod_list.js file, as well as manager\mod_cache\modlist.ini, then starting PAMM again, and see if that helps.
  18. LavaSnake

That sounds like a possible cause. I haven't done networking with VB so I wouldn't be any help (sorry :(). Why don't you try moving the networking calls after the code that writes the files? That way you'd at least be able to test your theory.

The mod_cache folder is empty for me, so I just deleted the mod list. Then I started up the manager and enabled two mods. Here's what the new mod list file that it generated looks like:
    /* Profile Pic Fixer */
    /* Installed Mods List */

var rModsList = [{name: 'Profile Pic Fixer', author: 'LavaSnake', version: '1.0', build: 'NA', category: 'Main Menu'},{name: 'Installed Mods List', author: 'raevn', version: '1.1.0', build: '56310', category: 'Main Menu'}];

/* start ui_mod_list */
    var global_mod_list = [

];
    var scene_mod_list = {'connect_to_game': [

],'game_over': [

],
    'icon_atlas': [

],
    'live_game': [

],
    'load_planet': [

],
    'lobby': [

],
    'matchmaking': [

],
    'new_game': [

],
    'server_browser': [

],
    'settings': [

],
    'special_icon_atlas': [

],
    'start': [

],
    'system_editor': [

],
    'transit': [

]
    }
    /* end ui_mod_list */
    It seems like the error is always occurring right after writing the rModsList variable and before writing the main part. I'd guess that it isn't a race issue because of the constancy, but I've been wrong before.
  19. LavaSnake

I did a little looking around and it seems that the VB error is coming from your CheckElevation sub. (If the line number in the error box is not counting from the top of the VBScript then I'm wrong.) I've pasted the code below.
    Code:
    Sub CheckElevation()
                Dim boolUAC
                Dim strCommandsArray

boolUAC = False
                strCommandsArray = Split(PAMM.commandLine, chr(34))

If ubound(strCommandsArray) >=3 Then
                    If strCommandsArray(3) = "elevated" Then
                        boolUAC = True
                    End If
                End If

If Not(boolUAC) Then
                    objApp.ShellExecute "Mshta.exe", PAMM.commandLine & " " & chr(34) & "elevated" & chr(34), "", "runas", 1   
                    self.close
                End If
            End Sub
    Line 56 (the one throwing the error) is the "objApp.ShellExecute" one, which doesn't make much sense to me. I'm guessing that the command wouldn't run if it's causing the error but the manager does restart after I give it permissions. So I commented out that line, and sure enough the mod manger closes, but it does so without asking for admin permissions or crashing. I hope that will help you!
  20. stormingkiwi

This has started happening most recent build.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.