orbital arriving pinpoint, possible change?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, September 12, 2014.

?

Change orbital arrival mechanic.

1. make orbital units arrive the midnight of that planet (preferably not stacked but in formation)

42 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. keep it as is, suck it n00bz, I pwn u asses all day lel get rekt

81 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

EDIT : I'm open to new ideas on this.

arriving at midnight point of the planet would make much more sense.

Why?

the planet is constantly rotating you can't umbrella THE arrival point there’s the whole equatorial belt that's a possibility (remember the planets have a tilted axis and the seasons go by uber fast)

also as it stands the path travelled in orbit by the units is represented until that point either way. Once the units get there the game then cheats and does not give unit icon for either the orbital layer or the ground layer during the time they travel to their exit point hence (taking into account we may be able to target orbital with nukes or other soon) we can neither target them in orbital layer nor ground layer.

it's a total exploit and it doesn't stop there. of course everyone by now knows of the SXX sudden death technique that is NOT countered by paroling the commander or surrounding him with 100 umbrellas, contrary to certain claims and also the Avenger battle exploit. by arriving pinpoint on a strategic orbital field with avengers and anchors and jigs , factories and whatnot you can wipe out an equal force, simply because your avengers are stacked and his are not.

the list goes on, you can get creative.

EDIT: Tac-on from page 3 :

that's actually what I suggested. I thought the OP explanation was enough but I've understood the step by step is necessary. see this :
    [​IMG]
    that's the arrival point. Now we're going to add a couple things to that recipe.

1. The planet spins around the sun
    2. The planet spins on itself
    3. The axi apon which the planet spins, materialized by a vertex (line) running from North pole to South pole has a certain degree of inclination (it's tilted) (you can check in-game)
    say we start of representing the landing zone of the planet when it's not tilted and rotating around the sun but not rotating on itself and with a small North-South randomisation factor. :
    [​IMG]

Now we want to look at the result for the same thing but with tilted axis :
    [​IMG]
    NOW we add rotation of the planet upon it's North-South axi (let's now not make a a full spin around the sun, but do this in two halves of a solar cycle) First half :
    [​IMG]
    Second half (full spin around the sun plus many many rotations on itself on an axis that kept the same inclination as it went around the sun) :
    [​IMG]

does it make sense now?

a gif explaining this
    :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: November 27, 2014
  2. tatsujb

+1 for unbiased poll tatsu
    theseeker2 likes this.
  3. tatsujb

why thank you :>
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what do you mean by midnight?
  7. tatsujb

do you know why we have a night and a day on our planet?
  8. MrTBSC

and what does that have anything to do were unit shall arive on a planet?
  9. tatsujb

....I suggested that they arrive at midnight on that planet...

*siiiiiiiiigh* basicaly where the orbital path stops right now.

.....you should probably read the OP again before you answer because I provided a counter to what you're about to say.
  10. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

Midnight = North Pole?
  11. MrTBSC

so we are making arbitrary entripoints for orbital now?
  12. tatsujb

wow you guys here are scientifically challenged.

Midnight ≠ North Pole
    yup.

But I'm open to other suggestions. suggestions that defeat current SXX exploits and such.
  13. MrTBSC

yea how bout you just explain yourself propperly .. because you know aside from sometimes having a lag of scientific understanding some people also lag a bit of understanding english ... even if i woud say that i actualy understand english well ..
    you know what helps the least? calling people out for being challanged ..
    Auraenn likes this.
  14. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

I just really don't see the correlation between midnight and a location on the planet. If this is a thing please link me because I can't find it.
  15. igncom1

The point of a planet that is the furthest from the sun.

Ie, the side facing away, where the time at the location would be midnight.
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think arrival points being chosen is good.

I can however agree that an animation for orbital descending onto the orbital shell would help. While it descends, it gets vision, it cannot attack until a delay that corresponds with its descent speed, and it is affected by push which means they push each other aside as they even travel downwards.

so for starters, devs should try to program orbital to spawn higher than orbital shell, have a weapon lock possibly tied like factory rolloff animation, and give orbital physics push.
    nateious likes this.
  17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Midnight is a time, not a location. This coulda been better explained.

I'm fine with not having pinpoint landing, but not with just picking a random point.

Make it so all orbital units have a degree of randomization when landing on a planet. So they don't pinpoint arrive at one point, but randomly arrive in an area around where you told the units to go.
    naphid and Geers like this.
  18. MrTBSC

yea well, no thx, i rather would like to be able to choose were the entrypoint of my units is ...
    at worst have it locked to the planets aquator or orbital layer midline ...

also bad poll ... not enough choice .. what happened? no doublecheck on the options?
  19. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Just think of earth, earth spins around it´s own axis, so one side of the planet is always facing away from the sun, cause earth is a sphere. Basically, as @igncom said, midninght is the point of the planet that is that is the furthest away from the sun, the exaxt opposite point of the point that is closest to sun.

NINJAS! Its okay :D
  20. igncom1

The current ui shows units going there anyway, even though they don't actually go there, it's weird.

But bassically this suggestion is to make the arrival point for all orbitals that point, so it changes during a day.