Large team games (5v5v5+) on the custom Cult server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, October 16, 2014.

1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

colin helped us set up our clan's custom server on Amazon, and it will be running from now on whenever we are online and want to play a large game. We only play team games, usually 5v5v5s, but bigger ones too with more and bigger teams, as long as there are enough players who want to join. Everyone is welcome.

We are not very good, and some of our players are complete beginners, so teams of randoms can take us on no problem. Just make sure to have PAMM installed and PA Stats enabled, otherwise you won't be able to see our lobbies. You can get PAMM here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-pa-mod-manager-cross-platform.59992/

We want to use this server to promote team games and clan creation, because we believe this is the best way to enjoy PA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our first lobby is up right now, and we're looking for players. Jump in if you're game.
    Last edited: October 16, 2014
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You should tell that person who questions the host upload that the server should be able to do a 100mbit/s and more easily ;)
    cptconundrum, icycalm and squishypon3 like this.
  3. icycalm

colin you are the best by the way. I would kiss you if I could.
    jeffrobot, cola_colin and squishypon3 like this.
  4. cola_colin

no thanks, but thanks
    FSN1977, Alpha2546, proeleert and 5 others like this.
  5. Masahiro9891

Masahiro9891 New Member

I just want to say thanks to everyone who played in our big 5v5v5 game. It was insane with so many units and our clan being hit from 3 different sides, awesome stuff. And anyone curious about the stats for the game: http://www.pastats.com/chart?gameId=228253. Also one of our clan members (thanks Qpo) took some pictures of the lobby and commander screens to show how cool it looks with big teams:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We can't wait to keep getting bigger and bigger games with you guys. Hopefully in the near future we can have a 5v5v5v5.
    Last edited: October 16, 2014
    squishypon3 and jeffrobot like this.
  6. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

is the performance much better than with the uber servers?
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Depends on the rig. ;)
  8. icycalm

The rig is whatever Amazon is renting.

There are two options. One for $1 an hour and one for $2 an hour. We only tried the cheaper option for now, and in that I didn't notice an improvement. Then again I didn't notice a decrease either, and we had 15 players and probably several thousand units, so I guess you could call that an improvement?

Next time we'll try the more expensive option, and we'll probably end up using that from now on.
  9. cola_colin

The more expensive one has 32 cores instead of 16. I don't expect it to perform much better unless you have at least 60 or so players. That's based on the observation that a 32 player game used roughly 8-9 cores. Basically per player you probably need 1/3 or so of a core extra. The sim however is only a single thread from what garat told us. So more cores won't help for sim speed if you have enough cores to put the "per player" management on other cores. That's why I'd say the 16 core instance is the optimum already. But who knows if I am right or not :eek:

I am quite certain the 16 core version performaces significantly better than the default Uber servers for 32 player games. If we let out the fact that Uber servers would simply out of memory (the 32 player game I watched closely used 25GB Ram in the end) they would also not have enough cpu cores even for that one game (as I said that 32 player game had a use for 8.5 cores), let alone the up to 7 other games that are running on them. Though the sim speed difference is more like 0.2 from Uber to our 2. So still rather slow. That's because the sim is a single thread on a single core and the 7 idle cores of the 16 core server dont really help.
    To get it up more we need either super powerful cpu cores as to have a faster sim or Uber needs to put in a work to make the sim run on multiple cores as well.