Lag problems

Discussion in 'Support!' started by donayre21, March 14, 2016.

1. donayre21

donayre21 New Member

Hi have been having problems playing the game and have already been to other posts and have tried almost everything.Can someone please explain to me how to properly run the game to avoid lag since every time I play I have to wait 3 seconds for a unit to be selected .Also please don't refer me to other posts I have already been to most of them.My Dxdiag is attached,if I need to upgrade any thing it would be nice to have an explanation on how to do so.Thank you again for the future help.

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I'm afraid that is simply due to you hardware. The problem is that you are below the minimum system requirements. You do have that absolute minimum of 4GB of RAM, but you graphics card steals some. Additionally, the minimum system requirements list the Intel HD 4000 and you only have the 3000. (This is only for PA: Classic, if you have Titans, you are required to have at least 8GB of RAM).

That being said, there are some things you could try.
    Try closing any other program that may be running in the background such as browsers.
    Try increasing the amount of virtual memory. This may free up some real memory for PA. Instructions are here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7
    Try a clean boot to really weed out the background programs. Instructions for that are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

As for the upgrading thing. The number one would be memory. You'll need at least 8GB in total.
    A dedicated GPU would definitely help after that.
  3. donayre21

donayre21 New Member

If I buy an extra memory for my computer will it reduce or completely stop the lag?Also I have set the virtual memory to a minimum of 4000 and a max of 6013 is this good? since you did not specify a number.last thing what type of inexpensive upgrades to run the game would you recommend since I don't have the money of a new laptop.Thank you for the reply.
  4. DeathByDenim

Ah, right. Sorry about that. Virtual memory should be quite high, so something like 14GB or more. That will pretty much guarantee that PA gets all of the real memory.

Oh, and another thing you can try is starting PA with:
    Code:
    --coherent-options="--renderer-process-limit=4"
    You can put that in the launch parameter by right-clicking on the game in Steam and selecting Properties.

As for upgrading, it's highly likely that more memory would reduce the lag. I don't know if you have any free memory slots in your laptop though. If you do, then you just need to buy 4GB extra (or more). If your memory slots are full, then you will need to replace the 4GB that is in there now with 8GB, which is obviously more expensive.

The other thing is the GPU, but since this is a laptop it won't be possible to upgrade that one.
    donayre21 likes this.
  5. donayre21

donayre21 New Member

Everything was working great specially with your advice and some changes to the compatibility mode to be in Windows vista and running the program as adm.Now after playing a few games I can't play any more .When I "fight" in campaign the loading screen just goes on forever and when I do land after 15 minutes the game lag's.Any suggestions my dear friend.
  6. DeathByDenim

Which game mode are you playing? Galactic War? Maybe PA generated a random system for you that was too large.
    Can you try AI Skirmish and choose a really small system, such as Blitz? Does that work?
  7. donayre21

donayre21 New Member

I'm playing campaign,currently trying to fight 2 enemies which are located in two different planets.After 20 minutes the game loaded up and I was able to look the Ai.
  8. DeathByDenim

Can you try the small planet AI Skirmish on Blitz though? If that works ok, it just means that the Galactic War system was simply too large for your computer.

The larger the planets, the more RAM PA requires, so at some point you will probably hit the limit. And when that happens your computer will slow down enormously.