[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The basic idea is that it does function like adjacency without it actually being adjacency. Hard to say how functional it'd be in game thought, you would also have to figure out how to deal with stacking of the 'power trucks'..........actually that if kinda already built in as the rate at unit a weapon creates its ammo is separate from the weapon's rate of fire, there would still maybe be some edge cases where a slow ammo creation rate was intended as a balance lever thought.

Thanks, it could still go either way with the Strider, I haven't had a chance to mess with I more yet. Just gotta keep plugging away at these! xD

Mike
  2. KNight

[​IMG]

Been messing around with the idea of the Strider being a Advanced AA Missile Bot, I mostly like it, will have to mess around with the proportions a bit more and gotta re-do the upper torso still....thoughts?

Mike
  3. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

upload_2013-12-13_0-25-24.png

Kind of reminds of this fella right here. However yours isn't an inverted leg joint but just a reverse joint.

How about just give him one large Gatling cannon for a shoulder armament?
  4. KNight

Well.....that was kinda the point, it was meant to fit in with my Anti-air Weapon Trinity* along with the Cougar and Fusillade.

*The Anti-Air Trinity of Weapons is such that Basic Direct Fire is usable in most situations.
    Flak is an Advanced weapon that trades some raw damage and maybe overall range in favor of doing AOE damage and being very effective against clumps/swarms of Air units.
    Missiles are an Advanced Weapon due to it's potential for hit Hit Chance(Tracking), long range and high damage leaves it unable to completely replace the other AA weapons but complements them nicely.

Mike
  5. tohron

tohron Active Member

*Pic moved to general fanart thread*
    Last edited: December 13, 2013
  6. KNight

Not to be a jerk, but I don't see the relevance to my personal artwork thread?

Mike
  7. tohron

tohron Active Member

Sorry, I was just confused, with the title, I thought it was a general fanart thread that you started, rather than a thread for your fanart. I'll delete the pic if that's what you want.
  8. KNight

The " 's " generally makes something possessive, for general community fan art is s Sticky here thought.

Mike
  9. chronosoul

Personally I'm not a fan of "debilitating Splash Damage" that destroys swaths of aircraft in one strike. Kind of has a tendency to either be over kill when it needs to be light damage. I won't argue this in this thread.

Is your Anti air bot Basic or Advanced?
  10. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

These are made in XSI?
    My preferred software, and what I use at work.

I have not dabbled into the modding for PA yet, does it integrate well? Or is XSI just a preferred modeling software. (I am aware these are concepts that aren't necessarily rigged etc for PA) But do you find XSI is perfectly fine to send down the pipe for PA mods?
  11. KNight

I'm not sure where you got "debilitating splash damage" from, I never said missiles would have that, it's certainly a possibility for a missile sub-type but it obviously have to be compensated for in some other way.

I did mention it was an Advanced AA Missile Bot.

It's mostly just what I know, I do know that Crosswalk supports fbx but I haven't gone in to figure out exactly what is needed for the PA files.

I have been able to import PA meshes via blender thought.

Mike
  12. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

ah so you could probably get the art done in xsi, export a standard obj and then do the rest of the PA rigging etc in whichever package is required. My studio is trying to shift over to maya and it makes me want to scream.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

hey mike i got a question ... dont know if that was talked about before but
    i remembered your energytruck and there came the issue with the shields in mind....
    so i thought instead of making shielddomes around a shieldgenerator over an area
    how bout making it more of a booster to units? for the example with the truck say it has its own small bubbleshield
    and once units or buildigs are close to it it generates bubleshields on them ... have more of them they generate shielding (boost) faster but dont stack up in overall shielding and cos quete an ammount of energy?
    that way one could have a bit more surviveabilty to his units but your enemy would still be able to target specific units
    ... ... or do you think that would be worse?
  14. chronosoul

This is what I'm referring to. Sorry I didn't specify. Its just from my experience in Supreme Commander with Flak basically ending all T1 and T2 air engagement once its out in the field. I talk about it more in this thread. we can discuss it more there.
  15. KNight

Sorry guys, as I'm sure you can imagine I've been kept very busy on the Forums as of late.

No, I don't like the idea of bubble shields for all the reasons raised in countless threads already.

Still no mention of 'debilitating' amounts of damage. Don't forget that in SupCom Flak needed to work that way because;

1] It was the only AA offering at T2.
    2] Air units saw anywhere from 3-5 times the health of comparable units in T1 so it's not surprise that the T2 AA is practically overpowered against T1. Similarly Flak is totally effective against T3 air units partially because it just flat out can't hit them and because it doesn't do enough damage even if it could hit.

Mike
  16. chronosoul

This is what I mentioned in the other thread.

1] just because its the only AA offered at T2 doesn't mean it needs to be in the game. I am all for a splash damage anti air defense turret, but the balance has to be right for it to not make air units irrelevant.

2]I agree with this statement, so In terms of your Anti air Tri-fecta. How would your tri- fecta work if the air units were more balanced? Lets say lower health like ledarsi mentioned in the thread?
  17. KNight

1] We're on the same page here, obviously the right balance is the correct option.

2] Well you just adjust everything accordingly. If the Health is lowered then just lower the damage proportionally is a great starting point.

Mike
  18. KNight

[​IMG]

Strider Advanced AA Missile Bot - 1068 tris

I'm pretty happy with this as is, I'll probably leave it for now and work on something else for a bit.

Mike
    sigmud2 likes this.
  19. KNight

Decided to do something new and seeing as I have far more Tanks than Bots currently so I figure this should help balance it out a bit;

[​IMG]

Rook - Advanced Suppression Bot

This is only a first pass, but the basic idea is that it's essentially built for crowd control, main armament is a pair of grenade launchers, secondary is a pair of cluster missile launchers, both are rather inaccurate but make it with with shear volume of shots! xD

Mike
    MrTBSC and hazards like this.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

So armored closerange shotgun with lots of splash Kind of bot?

The current look gives that vibe to me and i like it :)
    Last edited: December 17, 2013