Internal Playtest – Preparing Build for Release – 3/14

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, March 14, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

These videos are disjointed. Here they are in order.

http://www.twitch.tv/metabolical/b/511023309
    http://www.twitch.tv/metabolical/b/511028455
    http://www.twitch.tv/metabolical/b/511029249

• The player list and system list stick down if desired.
    • As everyone knows, right now the game is very much focused around building lots of turrets and walls until Advanced is built. This how the devs play, so they know this is the current state of the game. This means it’s what the devs want, of we’ll get some balance changes soon.
    • And… that’s about it. Just testing for bugs to make sure it’s ready for a release.
    delta1441 and LavaSnake like this.
  2. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Really? I've seen a load of threads saying how bad the turret situation is and they still aren't balanced?
  3. brianpurkiss

There's a tournament this weekend. I'm kinda wondering if the devs didn't balance things because they didn't want to throw off players with new changes right before a tournament.

Remember, balance isn't Uber's main focus. They're more concerned with making a functional game, then focusing on the balance.

Also. We're beta testing. We're the guys who are testing the balance changes. When changes are made, they're often every easily too far in one direction simply to see how it alters the game, so they can then be pulled back to better levels. It's how game balancing works. We're the ones who get to test it.

That being said... I'd really like some changes to turrets real soon. Basic units are pretty worthless right now. I'd rather have 10 fabricators defending my base to build turrets than have 100 ants to defend my base.
    delta1441 likes this.
  4. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

This is seriously so stupid and cheap method how to defend against T1 raids and needs to be addressed. It cannot be that a single turret can hold of insane amount of bots or that you can defend all of your base against T1 raids without having any yourself and just by spamming them!

We already have an op commander ubercannon that can deal with T1 raids to the base, why have op turrets? Turrets should be balanced more about to defend a choke point or your expansion, not being spammed around your base with no sense.

The range on them is quite ok, the rate of fire is quite fast, could be maybe slightly slower and definatelly the price needs to be increased. They are way too cheap.

Single turret laser can probably stay as it is, cheap and enefficient and easily overrun, but normal turret and t2 turret needs metail cost increased.
    Murcanic and polaris173 like this.
  5. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

We're gamma testing actually!
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

I agree. Laser turrets need a nerf and/or a price increase.

Missile defense towers seem to be good.

Laser towers are just way OP.

Maybe even give walls a nerf. If a laser defense tower is completely surrounded by walls, Basic units simply cannot destroy that tower in a way that is any way remotely cost effective.

I think a real slow rate of fire basic artillery unit is needed.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

*cough*thud/hammer*cough*

[​IMG]
    *cough*T1ArtilleryBot*cough*
    [​IMG]

That smasher is begging to be added to the game. Its looks are clearly designed to evoke images of the thud. Just add it already!
    stonewood1612, igncom1, Raevn and 2 others like this.
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The solution is to bring laser turrets back to their previous cost. It's way too cheap now. Building one doesn't hurt your eco in the long run if you build one immediately after your first factory.

The solution isn't to nerf them or anything. Just adjust their cost.
  9. stuart98

And quadrupple the cost of walls and reduce their HP by at least 1000. The defense towers are fine.
  10. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I'd prefer walls be dirt cheap, but have far lower HP; people won't use them if they're more expensive. I'd definitely agree they have way too much health right now, but I think as a funneling device/way to slow a rush, they are very useful.

Also, what everyone else said. Single laser turrets are close to balanced-ish, but double and triple are still crazy OP for their metal cost.
    brianpurkiss and LavaSnake like this.
  11. stuart98

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DPS/Metal ratio of Single lasers needs to be better than that of Double and Tripple lasers. Their DPS will go down gradually as each one is destroyed, but the DPS of a more powerful laser tower will stay at the same rate right until the doxen blow it to heck.
  12. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Your sentences contradict so I'm not sure what your position is, but as well as laser towers having their cost restored something does need to be done about walls. Frankly I'd prefer they didn't exist, but that seems unlikely to occur. Even ignoring their OP nature, it's tedious having to micro things like pelters so as not to shoot that line of blips that's quite obviously a damn wall.
  13. stuart98

When I said that the defense towers were fine I was meaning with respect to their actual stats after being built. The only problem with the towers themselves is the cost. The rest of the problem is in the uber cheap walls which you can increase their HP with to ludicrous degrees.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. brianpurkiss

That looks promising.

I really need to dig through the PA files more...
    eroticburrito likes this.
  15. stuart98

It's found in \media\pa\units\land\bot_artillery
    There's also a T1 artillery tank which looks nearly the same as the sheller found in tank_heavy_artillery (as opposed to tank_heavy_mortar).
  16. brianpurkiss

Yeah. Was just looking at that.

Looks promising.
  17. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

A unit like that would also take care of T1 point defenses being OP.
  18. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

actually it looks like more of a "lets make a t1 and t2 version of everything" situation to me.
  19. brianpurkiss

Based on what? Our speculation? That's quite the reach.

The game balance and unit roster is far from done. Let's wait until the game is finished before we start complaining.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Those were both in one of the very early builds as usable units, then removed. The bot was quite OP at the time, if I recall. Back then, the sniper was just a single barrel artillery bot also, so they completely overlapped in role, which is why it was removed I think (so maybe it might come back? Having artillery at Basic in bots and Advanced in vehicles is a nice differentiation). The other artillery tank was likewise a close copy, and almost looked identical to the current sheller.

Edit: Just looked at the history, it was only present for 3 builds before being removed in build 49286.