Internal Playtest – Performance Improvements, Mini Map, Balance Changes, and More

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, February 21, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

• Lots of updates to the graphics engine – that probably means performance improvements
    • The build is using the GPU more – which means even better performance!
    • Mini Map working
      [​IMG]
    • A bunch of bug fixes
    • Metal spots are scarce. Not sure if that’s a re-balancing, or just a poor spawn.
    • Looks like we’ll be seeing a few patches in quick succession since there was a possibility of a patch being pushed later in the evening of the cast. So hopefully we’ll get a new patch soon with the mini map!
    • Balance changes
      • Tweaks to the gunships, particularly accuracy
    • The area patrol for fabrication aircraft looks really nice. They fly around from building to building to help finish building whatever it is. However, they don’t instantly latch onto a single building and never move on.
    • The developers have been running into the Commander+transport rushes. We’ll see what they do to address this tactic.
    • Transports must be built in the Advanced Air Factory. Uber still isn’t convinced that there is an issue with Commander+Transport rushes, but they just wanted to shut us up.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I like your optimism about patch releases less than two days after the previous one.

:D
  3. brianpurkiss

Don't crush my hopes and dreams!

Seriously though. It's what Garat said. He was hoping to get it out tonight. Doesn't look like that is happening.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Not agreeing with these transport changes.

Maybe a solution to all of these issues is just to make air T1.5?
    jodarklighter likes this.
  5. mered4

What were those changes?
    :eek:

Stunned.
  6. brianpurkiss

The transport is moved to the Advanced factory rather than the basic factory.
    EdWood and mered4 like this.
  7. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

can you elaborate on more updates to the graphics engine? and using more GPU?
  8. brianpurkiss

I would if I could, but they didn't elaborate much.

Check out this thread, if you haven't seen it already.
  9. hohopo

hohopo Member

There is more detail here https://forums.uberent.com/threads/graphics-update-v1-1.56657/
    but basically they are starting to move some of the graphics calculations to the graphics card rather then have the CPU do it all, freeing up power on the CPU.

On the air transport, I'm in two minds about it. I have been enjoying having a small force of them build to move armies without a large investment, however having them advanced suits the whole idea of advanced is more specialized (as air-born armies are pretty specialized..)
  10. mered4

OH MY GOD THAT WOULD FIX EVERYTHING
  11. stuart98

Which thing would?
  12. vackillers

just dont have commanders pickup-able? technically they should be too heavy to pick up anyway shouldn't they? thats what a Tech2 transport specialty should be
  13. stuart98

Then you've got boom rushes. 13 kill a com.
  14. brianpurkiss

15. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Well, regardless what's the right decision, we really want to move on to other topics for now. :) We can come back to the commander rush/transport issue. I'm a little saddened, because I think an early flame tank drop in near someone's base is a great early rush, but.. we'll see. :)

This is an ongoing process, of course!
    drz1 and vackillers like this.
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah it is a great rush, commander dropping not so fun. But to be honest i had some of my best games in a long time with this new build.

PS: should i stay up?
    Quitch likes this.
  17. stuart98

I just want to request that we mess around with 1.5 air for a build. Preferably this next one, but if for some reason that isn't viable then the build after would be fine. I feel like uber isn't implementing enough experiments to play around with for a build and evaluate after. Stuff like umbrella anti nukes, t1.5 air, high power power, etc. Changes don't need to be permanent. We might as well experiment with stuff. This is, after all, beta.
  18. vackillers

I'm really liking the mini map... I hope that we really will be able to do a little more with it, like being able to load that onto a 2nd monitor, move the window around and resize it if we want to.....
  19. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

d
    :(
  20. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

I agree, that sounds pretty good. It would kill early bomber harass and scouting though, but I guess skitters might see more use.
    ace63 and stuart98 like this.