Insomnia Clan Wars

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by rgiles, July 24, 2017.

1. rgiles

rgiles Member

Was Exodus Clan Wars terminated because Zaphod quit the game? Or are there other reasons?

EDIT: The Insomnia Clan Wars site is now up: http://cosmicwar.net/

It's still under construction, but all essential information is there.
    Last edited: August 7, 2017
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Nothing to do with zaphod... the main reason is no one took up the role of organising a second season, and by then most of the original organised clans had disbanded for a number of reasons.

No reason there couldn't be a second apart from the fact there doesn't appear to be many active clans (at least on forums).
  3. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

In that case, we are rebooting the project, while keeping the name, if that's okay with people. It's a common name used in countless games after all: https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=clan wars

There will be two components to it: one of them will be a clan vs. clan league, roughly as Exodus had it (though aiming for far higher numbers than 4v4, when enough players are available), and the other will be an actual clan war, with all clans simultaneously fighting each other in the same system, with however many players they happen to have online at the time of the battle. I'll have more details on both aspects soon, as well as a website, but for the time being we are announcing Clan Wars #1 for this Saturday, July 29 at 5PM UTC. The Cult will be there with at least 3-4 players, and possibly more, and will face off as many clans with as many players as show up, while streaming (and possibly casting -- feel free to volunteer for this if anyone wants) everything.

If no other clans show for the first war, The Cult will divide itself into alfa, bravo, charlie etc. squads and fight an internal battle, and we will keep doing this indefinitely, until we build enough of a clan community that we no longer need to do it. (We will also do it if, e.g., only a single clan shows up with say 2 people. Then it will be Cult A vs. Cult B vs that clan, etc.) These will be exhibition games and the results will not count towards the total on the leaderboard.

Some might wonder how this might work if one clan brings lots more people, but consider e.g. a 7v4v3. The smaller clans are free to team up and take on the bigger one, and once they have defeated it, fight it out between themselves.

This is our Discord, where everyone (and especially the clan leaders) are invited for better communication: https://discord.gg/8Vx2Sax
    And this is our Twitch, where everything will be streamed: https://www.twitch.tv/insomniacult

We are starting with the literal clan war because it is the easiest and fastest to set up, and can help us get the ball rolling right away and having fun. After several weeks or months of this, and once we have built up a significant community of interested clans, we will begin discussing the league.

If anyone wants to offer help with any of this, we are prepared to gladly accept it, and this includes Exodus. Having said that we have our own vision of what PA's competitive scene should look like (that basically boils down to "bigger is better"), and we are prepared to do all the work on our own, if need be.

Looking forward to this Saturday and hope to see you all there.
    Last edited: July 25, 2017
    recoil345 and cdrkf like this.
  4. icycalm

Btw, lone players are also welcome, and will be thrown in the game to play the role of the "barbarians" in Civilization, if you are familiar with that game. So a game might end up being 7v1v1v3v4v6 or whatever. It's all good, and no matter the setup in the end there can be only one, whether player or clan. We might even open up the game to randoms in the lobby who are not even aware of what's going on. We definitely need to do some testing to figure out what exact format works best, but they will be "live" tests, with the results being recorded on the leaderboard from the start, because we are eager to start having some fun asap.
  5. cdrkf

Hello Icycalm, been a while! Have you checked out all the community updates to PA yet? There are some pretty significant changes (multi threaded simulation support on private servers and the integrated mod manager for example)- Have you considered including the 'Legion' add on faction in the games? I personally think it adds quite a bit to the strategy as the additional faction plays quite differently to the base so forces players to adapt their play style depending on which side their opponent is using, although I can understand if you'd rather keep it simple to start with and just stick with MLA?
    icycalm likes this.
  6. icycalm

Hey man, good to see you still burning the flame so to speak. It's sad to see this place so quiet now. But I hope we can do something to change this.

I have indeed heard about the multi-threading and especially the ability to reconnect to private servers, which finally makes them viable for competitive play. And it's been 2+ years since Clan Wars, with server hardware improving and prices falling, so I want to see how far PA can be pushed in terms of scale today. And things will keep improving every month and every year, so I think it is essential to have a lively competitive event to demonstrate and enjoy these improvements as they happen. 1v1s or 2v2s just don't do this, and I think it is precisely because Uber and most players focus on these small formats that PA has failed to project to the gaming world its unique qualities, and find for itself the scene it so rightly deserves. I still see people reviewing the 1v1 aspect on Steam as if it even mattered, and I still facepalm, every time, after all these years.

As for Legion, I checked it out (via forum updates -- I haven't played it yet) and have been mightily impressed by it. I have some criticisms with the lore aspect of it, that often clashes with PA's official lore, but that's a detail, and perhaps I myself can help fix it, if the mod's creators accept my input. Ultimately, I would love to include Legion in my rebooted Clan Wars, because I love complexity -- which is what PA is all about -- and the more complexity we can inject into the game, the better. But I want to start out with vanilla, for at least the first few months, until we got a decent scene going, and then we can discuss and evaluate Legion as a group, and perhaps even vote on its inclusion, especially if the mod's creators are willing to help rectify any issues we might run into while using it competitively.
    Last edited: July 25, 2017
  7. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Poke me if you need casters and have good sign-ups.
  8. icycalm

I am sure we won't have anything you would consider good sign-ups for a long while, so it's up to you if you are willing to cast small clan battles, and maybe even intra-Cult battles. I joined the PA community Discord, so if you are on there I can message you on Saturday and let you know how many players and teams we'll have, and you are always welcome to join our Discord, linked above, to keep a closer eye on the proceedings.

I think it would be easier for you to let me know when and if you are interested, than in me inviting you every time, because as far as I am concerned you are welcome to cast every game.
    recoil345 and wpmarshall like this.
  9. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Good luck, well I guess there are more colors to choose from now :)
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. recoil345

recoil345 Member

11. icycalm

Well, recoil got our server running, and we will be testing it out tonight (Wednesday night), so people are welcome to join us on our Discord and we will hopefully run a few big games. We already played a few 2v2v2v2s tonight, and it was a weekday, and we didn't have to wait too long for the lobbies to fill, so things are looking good so far. Ferretmaster from BRN joined us and said he might be able to get another player from his clan for Saturday, but on the other hand they are from Australia, and apparently their internet still sucks over there, and has trouble with large games, so we'll see.

On the website front, I am leaning towards using this template due to the huge embedded video window: http://demo.rockettheme.com/live/wordpress/flux/

I'll probably do a quick setup to have something to show asap, and customize it at leisure afterward.
    recoil345 likes this.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Over 30 now, ever since May of last year.
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. cdrkf

Just a quick fyi on the multi thread support... it's per planet (so a single planet still only uses 1 core)- that might impact on the type of systems you choose to play on, although server performance is higher across the board.
  14. icycalm

That's good information. Sounds like it would favor systems with several smaller planets. However, so far we have found that, for large games (10+ players), we prefer either two large planets or one large and two medium-sized ones. But the 20+ player games we want to eventually be playing are unexplored territory, so there's a lot of playtesting to be done, and a lot of searching for fast and cheap dedicated servers. For the time being, we'll be using Amazon's $2/hour virtual servers. Once our games start to stress those, we will look for deals on dedicated ones.
    recoil345 likes this.
  15. NikolaMX

NikolaMX New Member

will we have you joining as well? i've been talking to a few old school players left and right and clan wars might just be the right incentive ;)
    cdrkf and icycalm like this.
  16. NikolaMX

NikolaMX New Member

You might be interested in gmase's work on his CMD mod, which is basically a platform for PvP glactic war basically designed on the foundation of faction/clan play.
  17. icycalm

gmase used to be in my clan, and the turn-based metagame was originally my idea (there is a thread about that here somewhere) that I've been mulling over for years (I have an entire forum on my website devoted to it called Cosmic War). After a lot of thought, however, I finally abandoned it for the following reasons:

Moreover, the turn-based metagame would result in lots of small games -- 1v1s and 2v2s and so on -- because that's what happens when you spread your forces for board control. So it would be taking us further away from our goal, which is games with lots of players and lots of teams. Perhaps one day, if PA becomes much more popular than it is right now, we could have several clans with 100+ active players in each, in which case we might be able to set up a metagame that regularly delivers 20+ player games, and then maybe we'll also get some modders on board willing to work hard to deliver a relatively complex turn-based metagame that's actually worth playing. But the only way to get to that level of popularity is to encourage people to play the game week in week out at a grassroots level, and that's what our rebooted Clan Wars is meant to accomplish.
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  18. icycalm

Actually, it wasn't my idea. It was an idea Maldor threw out, which I took and ran with it.

Original idea: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/clan-wars-4v4-clan-league.63162/page-25#post-1056740

Original thread: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/galactic-clan-wars-gcw.67313/
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  19. cdrkf

Well honestly I haven't played PA (or any other game for that matter) in a while... life tends to get in the way :p A clan wars series is something I'd like to play in though. Only slight snag is looks like I'm not going to be around this weekend to play in it- still if @icycalm is going to keep it going for a while I'll try and make an appearance... albeit as one of those one person 'clans' haha (haven't seen another 'P' player in ages). Maybe I can team up with some other old PA players... call us clan 'GA' (for 'geriatrics')... lol
    icycalm likes this.
  20. icycalm

We will be playing pretty much every week, same day same time.

Also, we are willing to move the time 4-5 hours later for the sake of Australians, if enough of them show interest. So far, only Ferretmaster has, and he is fine with the current start time.