1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

[​IMG]
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/17/planetary-annihilation-review

*sigh*

This is what happens to an unpolished release that is lacking in critical features.

If Uber had waited for offline, saves, tutorial, multi-window/monitor, bug fixes, and more optimizations, this could have been avoided. I understand that PA can't be in a perpetual state of development, but this game definitely needed more work before release.

Even when we get updates that fix these issues, these reviews will still plague PA.
  2. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

NO, that review even if it had those things you mention it would still have been a bad review, the reviewer dislikes sphere maps plain and simple, he said as much in the opening paragraph, his view of the game was never going to change, he dislikes one of the core concepts, it could of been the most polished game in the world and he would have still have marked it down.

And then if you look at the nice image you posted -limited visibility - Clone factions, 2 things that WOULD NOT CHANGE.
    nateious, Tripod27, plink and 7 others like this.
  3. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    tatsujb and kothanlem like this.
  4. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Watching the video, you can pretty much tell the guy is an idiot and hasn't actually played the game for more than an hour or two when he goes on about how bad the AI is when it's given the same tech limitations as the player in Galactic War, when actually the AI doesn't have any tech limitations in Galactic War...

Also "limited visibility".. not sure if joking, or demanded Uber for money for review and didn't get it or something?

EDIT: "things can drag on for more than an hour as up to eight sides bash away at each other." You could probably actually get this review taken down Uber, if you were that type of developer ;P

EDIT AGAIN: "WHY CAN'T I SAVE" Is a valid point, but.. most matches last like 20 minutes. Most other modern video games that have 20-30 minute battles (e.g. FPSs & MOBAs) don't have a save option. Imagine.. a save half way though a competitive 5v5 best of 30 CS:GO game. Yeah, that's not going to happen. It shouldn't be considered such a game-braking missing feature.
    Last edited: September 18, 2014
    EdWood, plink, cwarner7264 and 3 others like this.
  5. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

There are critics who severally think that it rests with each one of them what shall be accounted good, and what bad. They all mistake their own toy-trumpets for the trombones of fame.
    Arthur Schopenhauer, On Criticism

http://insomnia.ac/essays/on_criticism/
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

DRw8Qkn.png
    Wut.
  7. HUNDAR

HUNDAR New Member

i can agree with SOME points that ign guy said, but come on, basically all the review was a list of things that he doesnt like. Ok great ign guy, what about the good things? The always online mode, and the lack of tutorial is some valuable feedback, but "ERMAGHERD I CANNOT INTO THIS GAME TOO DIFFICULUT, WUT ? TWO BATTLES APPENING AT THE SAME TIME? BRAN DAMAGED" yeah.. it's probably right when he said that pa isnt so user friendly but come on, if you have a brain you can figure it out.
  8. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

He's not lying. He is not doing anything wrong. He is just saying that the game is too complex for him. It is a valid opinion. He's not enjoying himself, and he's explaining why. That's what criticism is. An opinion.

The only thing that's wrong with the whole business is that IGN hired him to write opinions that represent their site.
  9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I don't think any of those would have helped that review. Honestly, the guy lost me on "round planets r bad."
    I agree, valid opinion. I don't think the editor should have let this out the door. It's the dumbest crap I've seen from IGN since....well. I don't really follow them around, but many of their reviews for MMOs have been partial one way or the other, just not this bad. Now stop being devil's advocate and get better at the game, pls. Thank you.
    nuketf and squishypon3 like this.
  10. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

Innovation isn't always welcomed with open arms.
    Personally I wouldn't give the game anything higher than a 7 right now but a 5 is just ridiculous.
    wilhelmvx, Bsport and brianpurkiss like this.
  11. Lukekk

Lukekk New Member

And then big gaming companies hire ign to write opinions that represent their lack of integrity.
  12. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

It helps alleviate the problems but does not solve it. Im not sure what uber would be able to do to solve this issue. But regardless, the issue still remains.

Didnt read the review but its probably fair.
    vyolin, aevs and stormingkiwi like this.
  13. mered4

Help! I'm Blind! There is no battlefield! What is this round ball in front of me? This isn't SOCCER!
  14. mered4

You should read it gunshin.....it almost made me want to throw up lol. It's not a fair review by any means.
    squishypon3 and brianpurkiss like this.
  15. Geers

Geers Post Master General

It's footballl!
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  16. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

pfft. I hate it how people rate the game, and hardly even try to play it...Worlds full of Morons I say...

The guy that reviewed this musta been from the steam community.
  17. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

3D mesh terrains could be a truly awesome idea if Uber was trying to create a first/third personal RTS game like Shiny Entertainment's Sacrifice instead of a Total Annihilation-like.
  18. realwar

realwar Member

That was a horribly written review. However, this is a good point: "and promo videos explaining the rudiments of RTS games are not substitutes for a tutorial." In the future, don't skip out on tutorials.
    vyolin, DalekDan and bradaz85 like this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Like I said in a previous thread, nobody even really trusts IGN, IGN only gives good reviews if you pay them.

They're entirely untrustworthy, look at this ridiculousness.

"I don't trust IGN.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    10/10 IGN: "It was good." "
    Last edited: September 18, 2014
    meir22344, Tripod27, EdWood and 5 others like this.
  20. mered4

But they are RIGHT THERE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR SCREEN. What more do you want?!
    squishypon3 likes this.