how to run windows 10 decently

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, April 15, 2017.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Windows was so prone to viruses that it eventually became one, its name: Windows 10
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

"how to run windows 10 decently"

404: request not found
  4. tatsujb

I find the term "Ashes of the Benchmark" absolutely sidesplitting
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Other systems that include telemetry include:

Every version of Windows since Vista.
    MacOS.
    At least one major Ubuntu distro.

Have fun! :)
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

How to Run Windows 10 Decently:

Step 1: Throw it in the trash can.
    Step 2: Buy a new computer, and install a real operating system.
  7. tatsujb

no under ubuntu only start menu search queries are sent to amazon. but you can shut that out right out the gate. nothing that compares with a keylogger and info being sold to any purchaser.

people got really upset over that because linux (software speaking) is supposed to be the land of the free. but while it's nothing I support it's nothing to do with the privacy intrusion that is telemetry.
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. Gorbles

I understand the distinction, but you're taking the absolute most positive and trustworthy interpretation of the Ubuntu Foundation, and the most negative and cynical interpretation of Windows.

That's all!
    Nicb1 and tunsel11 like this.
  9. tatsujb

@Gorbles
    I wish it were true. (there's no "Ubuntu Foundation" the company that owns ubuntu is called Canonical so Canonical is to Ubuntu as Microsoft is to Windows) these are facts. and trust me the linux people know how to dig into what's being sent over the net in fact it's linux people who first raised the warning flag about windows telemetry.

there's a simple reason why there was a breach of privacy in ubuntu 12-17 : Canonical signed a deal with amazon. Canonical's part of the deal : send start menu queries to amazon servers and that server would return shopping results that fit most. also fit the taskbar of the freshly installed os with a pre-pinned amazon firefox shortcut.
    Amazons part of the deal : send Canonical lots of money.

It's a clear sell-out and for what may seem like a reasonable sacrifice Canonical will never stop getting flack from me and the rest of the linux community.

nevertheless it remains undeniable that once you :
    1. unpin the shortcut
    2. do this :
      upload_2017-5-5_20-29-50.png
    you've effectively undone on your personal OS what amazon paid to have across all of them.
    in light of this and in light of how much of a likelihood of the user ranging from "can-do-this-basic-shiit" to superuser.... it would seem amazon got the worse end of that deal.
    I digress.

its pretty fair to say while tedious .....it's in this peculiar category of tedious things that are the sort capable of being outweighed by benefits whichever they may be.
    not going into whatever ratio of benefits to inconvenience that may even be.

And we're comparing that to telemetry (again I here am trying to make it as evident as possible that this is at the very least a rational take on the matter).

Telemetry something that keylogs every keystroke you make and sends it to as many as thirty different recipients. (just so we don't have to clear this up later: yes it accessorily, amidst a plethora of other back and forth interactions with various servers, also sends back shopping and other search suggestions to display in start)

Telemetry, something that no GUI-only solution, no two step approach will (even partly) immutably disable.

Something that actually requires you to install and set up a linux nas in between it and the internet to force firewalling the final remnants that still remain after a superuser did everything he could windows-only side.

I feel it's fair to say we're comparing apples and oranges here and I'm not misstreating one or the other by saying they're unequal.
    '-__-
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  10. Gorbles

My point is always about the trust involved, which is why I compare them in such a manner.

There are completely reasonable reasons for Microsoft tracking activity to any degree on their own (proprietary) software. But, if you don't trust them (and skepticism of an international business is completely healthy - I'm not saying a lack of trust is unreasonable), then these reasonable reasons seem more like an excuse than the actual, factual reason(s).

The same goes for Canonical, or any software distribution that connects to the Internet and transmits information to a server. Because that's what Windows are doing here. Packet sniffers only get you so far in analysing what data is being sent.

Cynicism in this situation is healthy; helpful, even. But you absolutely have to apply the same standards to every single other company, or similarly-large organisation. We live in a digitally-connected age, it's not paranoia to suggest that even stuff we type online is monitored. My issue is when people act like Microsoft are worse than other companies, when in fact all companies will engage in whatever practises give them an edge in business.

And all companies will have software routines that are completely innocent and actually help the user experience. Because that, again, is also good business. Users have to want to use the product; it's often in the company's best interests (especially given Windows' patchy history) to make sure of that.
    mwreynolds likes this.
  11. tatsujb

you know we really disagree on nothing here.

I'm just trying to figure out if you're trying to say canonical are as bad or worse.

if that's what people are gleaning from what you're saying and leaving here with then I guess you're doing the world a disservice.

Lets put things into perspective and go into cold hard facts : yes spying is pervasive but say you use linux and for the sake of argument any other distro than ubuntu ...then you are not subject to the same degree of spying as any other user. in fact it is in that specific case legitimately possible for you to connect to the internet and elude every spying organisation and every data collection type on earth. and it's not even hard.

you are not a user as all other users equal under the sun. they can't log into your PC, control it, access it's data, secretly turn on it's camera. if you go as far as to communicate with others using special browser / browser plugins that allow you to set up cryptography between you and your recipient, then you are entirely absent from what the NSA and the rest can access.

I just wanna leave this here for the people reading this thread not fully grasping what you and I are saying but in particular you and walking away from this thinking "fucck it looks like windows is safest anyhow"
  12. tatsujb

this sentence in particular is blowing my mind in how it's intentionally designed to mislead.

If this isn't intentional you really should edit your text.

One Canonical isn't software/any of that it's a company.

Two "software distribution"
    https://www.google.fr/search?q=software distribution&oq=software distribution&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    good GOD that's a barbaric use of "computer-y sounding words" ... did you mean operating system?

See here that's the thing! you can't put the two together in a sentence and it be true because then you're implying by that sentence that Canonical's OS sends stuff to Canonical servers.... that canonical collects data.

which is so very untrue.

facts and restoration of truth : in ubuntu's case the only server that is being sent data to is amazon. what data ? the start menu queries. (in order to suggest corresponding shopping items from amazon.com)
    Do they also send name surname phone number address or any type of id linking that data together ? no. that would require a deep-seeded collection of data OS wise on the level of a bot and/or for you to enter that information at some stage in the installation.

Do amazon cross reference the data to try to figure out which packet is coming from who and if it's still the same user? no and even if they wanted to they couldn't it's too easy for linux to seem like an entirely new user but why would that even have to get there when the first thing any ubuntu user (and they're few in the linux community does is turn it off. and there is no kind of safeguard in ubuntu fighting for preservation of that connection to amazon. why would there be? it makes absolutely no sense in a linux context where it's impossible to prevent the user from doing anything, where no part of the system is unknown or uneditable or unmonitorable to even attempt to do such a thing.

I feel in all this it's important to highlight how proportions and stats aren't factoring at all in your depiction :

ubuntu is one of hundreds if not thousands of linux distributions and does not bear the majority of all linux users :
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

ubuntu is virtually the only linux distro in which data (queries) are sent to a server if left unconfigured. the hundreds and hundreds of other all send zilch. zippo. nada.

apparently mac OS sends some data to apple and as for windows every supported version is equipped with telemetry. and telemetry DOES id you as a unique user and CAN id you personally.
    and this : https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

so if ubuntu is 1% of linux users and linux users are 2% of and desktop OS users then linux users being ...sigh ... even the term "spied on" is woefully wrong here .... I dunno ... being subject to the above .....is 0.0209%

compare that to 83.33% windows users who are having every word they type literally sifted through.

I'm not any more tolerant than you on laxism of privacy canonical-side if I WERE then my argumentation would have been to flat-out argue that there's been no laxism in regards to privacy on canonical's part. And I'd still have been vindicated in that statement too given that if you want to dive into technicalities it holds up.
  13. tatsujb

and I realize now the above terminology I used here :https://forums.uberent.com/threads/how-to-run-windows-10-decently.72397/#post-1140670
    was misleading as well. good god I got led into this and allowed you to make me say things you wanted to imply things from.

I had no idea you'd misinterpret me so wildly. I gotta be extra careful when approaching this topic from now on to be absolutely fuckking explicit in my terminology.

I've edited the post so that no extrapolations are possible any longer ...in theory. god knows what lengths people will be willing to go...
    just so we're 100% clear : the red parts are a lie. telemetry is a windows-only term.

furthermore:
    spying is entirely absent from ubuntu
  14. Gorbles

You're getting incredibly upset for no good reason. What good would it do me to react in this kind of manner with the accusations you're levelling at Windows?

You sound personally-invested, and you shouldn't be.

I mean, a large part of this could be the language barrier. "telemetry" is not a term unique to Windows, or Microsoft. You say you're getting misinterpreted but you're going out of your way to misinterpret me.

I don't like semantic games. I tend to refuse to play them. I don't hold anyone to being incredibly specific, unless the subject matter demands it. So you seem to have gotten completely the wrong end of the stick here.

You are being unfair on what Microsoft do through Windows. The ratios, percentages you're using, the way you're making even MacOS sound better than Windows makes it sound like you're coming from a hardcore UNIX subreddit somewhere.

And at the end of the day, you're only misleading yourself. Are Linux distros in general very different to Windows (and MacOS, and iOS, and Android, and SteamOS, etc)? Yes. But that isn't what I was claiming.

As a final point, if you want to be absolutely specific. If you want to be precise, if you want to play this semantic game (you're better than this, usually). None of what any OS does is "spying". Or all of it is. There are two major definitions as per the English language:

By the first definition, no company does this in a way proven by international courts. Or if they do, they're punished for me (as Microsoft was, in the late 90s / early 00s, if I remember right).

By the second definition, every company does this. Every user does this, assuming they're discerning about the products they choose to use.

As I said. You're (intentionally, at this point) spreading negativity about Windows, while (intentionally) making it seem like other operating systems aren't something to also be cynical about.

https://www.canonical.com/about

I'll let people decide whether or not this is a company that maybe has a vested interest in holding user data. I don't have any evidence, but hey. Let's have it your way. Let's be specific. People can choose who they want to trust, and we can all be happy :)
    mwreynolds likes this.
  15. tatsujb

knowing anything about linux makes you sound like you're coming from a hardcore UNIX subreddit somewhere. it's not my fault. it's just the truth is so radically inconceivable and makes the reality we live in seem like it couldn't possibly be true. like it couldn't possibly play out the way it actualy does in the end.

I agree on the sematics game and the rest.
    I just feel you still haven't realised you've fallen into the unfairness game even worse then I have.
    read again.
    I'm being picky but it kinda is as it was a make-up "tech jargon" word microsoft chose to blanket-name their whole data collecting part of their new windows 10 OS. Dunno where you've been looking but strickly speaking there is no telemetry in mac nor in linux nor is the term used in either communities regarding activities occuring on their respective OSes.
    again if we're being fair here :
    Canonical's https://login.ubuntu.com/one-redirect is a login service you may choose to use for things like stackoverflow-type forums app reviews in the app store and I don't think much else since they stopped trying to compete on the public sector(A.K.A. users vs. enterprises) cloud storage market.
    It could reasonably compare with microsoft's hotmail minus the mailing service and drive.

if we're excluding companies and Canonical one login system then no Canonical does not "hold user data". I'll admit their own website is missleading there because (that text is out of date and) they don't specify it's enterprise-only cloud.

Telemetry does actually fall under your blanket term "user data" but what is that reasonably comparable to under ubuntu please tell me?

Any reader that just read you would be left to assume : "necessarily something, right?". at least any reader not learned on the matter.

do you see ?
    Last edited: May 9, 2017