How to make sure bots use their full attack range on enemy units?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by xen0nex, February 5, 2017.

1. xen0nex

xen0nex New Member

So I'm still pretty new, but thought I had understood the difference between the "Move" and "Attack" command. Supposedly, Move causes all units in a group to make a formation, and advance at the pace of the slowest units until they reach the selected point, attack anything in range en route. And then Attack is supposed to cause all units in the group to rush as fast as they can, but then stop at their maximum weapon range to engage the target.

However, I've noticed that when I command Bots to Attack an enemy unit (not an enemy structure), they run up to it and try to hug it at point-blank. This happens with not just with Dox, but also Grenadiers, etc.

If I command them to Attack a building, they stay out at range as I'd expect, but if the target is a unit which can move, such as an enemy Commander, they rush up to kiss it. I haven't noticed this problem with my tanks, just bots.

Is there a way to make them attack other units at range? And is there a better/easier way for me to just make sure my units are always taking advantage of their range/mobility without micromanaging them in combat?

Possibly related, under what circumstances/order will Combat Fabbers stay with another group to repair them? I tired click-dragging a box to select a big mass of various bots, some of which were Combat Fabbers, and ordered them to Attack an enemy base. However, the Combat Fabbers all stood still, presumably because they can't attack? Is there a way to make a group of Combat Fabbers stick with a group of attack units and keep repairing them?
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea grenadiers hornets and some other longrange units have this problem of not staying at maxrange for the longest time ..
    we asked for a fix repeatedly but nothing happened on this ...
    best i can advise .. don´t use grenadiers other for attacking behind cliffs or walls ... and don´t waist your money on hornets .. even though 13 of those would oneshot a comm from range on paper they just happily run into any kind of aa despite clearly outranging them ..
  3. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Funny, I downloaded a mod specifically to deselect the combat fabbers so they wouldn't be selected. :) It was some time ago and I'm not aware that deselection is now part of regular game play. A workaround would be to select the group, then hold the shift key and select the group a second time.
  4. lulamae

On a related note, I also downloaded a mod that treats the colonels as combat units instead of fabrication bots.
  5. xen0nex

xen0nex New Member

Oh, so does this happen on other units besides bots as well? So far I've only noticed it with bots; my vehicles seem to behave normally.

Oh sorry, just to be clear; I am able to select the Combat Fabbers as part of the main group just fine, and am able to issue the attack command to the whole group just fine, it's just that the Combat Fabbers ignore the Attack command I give the group and stand still (but remain selected).
    Last edited: February 5, 2017
    lulamae likes this.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i say go to sand box and check out the behavior of units with varius stancesettings
    (roam, stand, engage, fire at will, return fire etc.)
  7. xen0nex

xen0nex New Member

Thanks, I'm trying that out with --devmode enabled to spawn enemy units, and that's been very educational! I haven't tested all possible situations, but as far as I can tell this weird issue only seems to apply to Bots, and only when Attacking enemy units (not structures). With my bots, the only way to completely prevent them from hugging enemy units when using the "Attack" Command (or right clicking an enemy) was the "Hold Fire" Attack option, which obviously prevents them from shooting at all :p

The next best thing looks to be the "Hold position" movement option when used without "Attack" Commands, but just "Move" commands to be near the enemy. In this case they obediently go directly to the movement position, and don't hug any enemy units, but keep shooting ones in range.

Unfortunately, this then requires a bit of micro-management, becuase you have to manually keep telling them to stand near the enemy whenever the enemy moves, or whenever all nearby enemies are defeated yet ones just outside their attack range are pelting them with longer ranged weapons.

Also, at least in the limited testing I did, Hornets seemed to behave as expected with regards to attacking and range; they attacked at maximum range on their targets, with whatever Movement / Attack orders/options I set for them, including attack on both units or on enemy AA defense which they outranged.
  8. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Have you tried cover the line mod?
    lulamae likes this.
  9. lulamae

I second the cover the line mod. Using it has become second nature.