How do you link armature to model?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by attacker5, March 31, 2015.

1. attacker5

attacker5 New Member

Hello,

I am sure this is probably in the wrong place, I don't really know where to post this.

I have been trying to get a model in game for a long time, I have managed once, but my bone weights were all messed up, and I am getting continuous errors trying to export the papa from blender. I brought my fbx over from max with a bone structure and that did not work, so I tried to make the bone structure in blender which I am failing at because I cannot use blender. I did manage to export it from blender once to a working papa but it seemed half the triangles were missing or inverted?

What I don't understand is that when I import a papa, such as the light_laser tank, then the armature exists, but it isnt parented to the mesh itself, so how do the weights work? If I parent it, I get errors, some of them similar to the errors i get when I try to export my imported fbx from max, which also imports with the armature as a parent, which makes sense to me, but is unlike the imported tank from uber.

How are the bones supposed to be weighted?

Thank you.
  2. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Use skin modifier to set weights, no need to parent bones to mesh .
    Models imported through blender have extra 90 degrees rotation on X axis for bones.
    You can also export models with papatran.
    You can also watch this.
  3. attacker5

attacker5 New Member

Thanks for all that, unfortunatly when I try to run papatran, i get the following error 5 lines after each other, "Ignoring cluster because it is linked to a different skeleton".

Thanks
  4. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

You probably have some unlinked bones.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Missing tris is caused by forgetting to triangulate the model.
  6. attacker5

attacker5 New Member

thanks for the help, I have managed to get it all working, if only the Strategic Icons would also load server side, since it seems I require a client side mod to get them to show up.