How do you deal with a good assault?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by Rera II, April 2, 2011.

1. Rera II

Rera II New Member

As any class really, I find assault to be the most infuriating to fight against.

What are some good ways of taking them down?
  2. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

There are only a few ways to kill a truly good Assault:

-Lunge + Grapple with Assassin
    -Catch off guard with Tank's Charge 3
    -Close range juice
    -Be a really good Sniper

Alternatively, you can hope he's just a killwhore and steal the win during overtime.
  3. arseface

arseface Post Master General

The lunge thing doesn't work usually. If you're far enough away that they can't hear your cloak then you're far enough away that they can hear your lunge long enough to hit space twice. It's really aggravating, they have to be fully distracted for it to work, and half of being a good assault is situational awareness.

You forgot be a better assault :p
    And gunner mortars. Even if they dodge you'll force them back.
    Support firebases can be a nuisance to an assault, legit aimbots and a tiny hitbox often prove to be a good counter. If they try to use walls to bounce nades at it a friendly gunner will usually turn the corner and rape them for you.

There are a bunch of ways to go about it but the way I find that works best... Is sticking together. Assaults are in their element when they're picking you off one by one. Teamwork can be a big deterrent for them.
  4. vortexcontinuum

Mortars- He has a grenade launcher against a large target. You'll be hard pressed to kill an Assault with mortars, but they will be forced to move. This isn't too great as Assaults can zone you with the small arc of the bomb and they are on the move all the time anyway.

Firebases- Bombs and the AR usually take care of firebases very quickly, and such a slow class like the Support doesn't stand a chance against a good Assault without an array of teammates...

Teamwork- Yeah. But chances are the only time you'll see solid teamwork is if you're playing with friends, and in that case you probably wouldn't have trouble with anything. The bomb and their extreme mobility means that it will be tough sticking together, unless you use the legendary 6-man Gunner team.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I'd say the biggest factor above all else is to surprise him. Whatever you got that's your best attack, hit him hard when he aint looking and hopefully he can't/wont get away in time.
  6. [451]Fireman

[451]Fireman New Member

Sniper.
  7. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Speaking as an assassin: You stay the **** away from him. You are not getting a kill on him.
  8. Skizzen

Skizzen New Member

The teamwork thing. There's a lot of things in this game that are hard to do alone for any class, teamwork is extremely valuable. Unfortunately it is in short supply on pubs but it is the best answer.

In general Id say if you can find a good gunner who isn't just hanging around your own side of the map then try to work with him, this doesn't take much communication and it doesn't guarantee he will look out for you. But he will probably deter assaults in many parts of a map.

If you find yourself one on one with him and you trust yourself to be good enough to take an easy kill, then judge the situation. If its favourable to you, try to take him out, if its favourable to him try to run. Pay attention to if he charged recently. if a bomb only blew up a second or two ago. Stuff like that. Has he been hovering a lot, can he afford to fly away, does he even have the current ability to follow you if you choose to run?

Basically the assault rifle alone is a pretty OK weapon, but its his other tricks that make him so deadly. But he wont necessarily always have them available.
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Assume the position
  10. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt New Member

Targeting them with mortars is the best way I've found to consistently pressure them. It's hard to kill them though, as they can easily retreat.
  11. vortexcontinuum

Fisto is programmed to please.
  12. Fuzzy Citrus

Fuzzy Citrus New Member

Don't know if this hasn't been said but with assassin, don't cloak yourself when you are behind them. Why? They don't hear anything and so they have no reason to hop around. You can also mess with them and get them paranoid by going near them with your cloak and have them start trippin out.

Hope this helps.
  13. Gozuu

Gozuu New Member

Stay in groups as a team. An assault won't initiate a fight with more than two person together, never.

Supports+Turrets = Assault can gtfo. Really.

Tanks, skill charge and try to knock them off.

Assassins are the best counter as you can one shot them from behind.
  14. vortexcontinuum

The Assault throws a bomb, and now you are separated and on fire.
  15. Vlane

Vlane New Member

The assassin is the worst counter for an assault.
    Don't talk about things you don't understand. kkthxbai.
  16. Gozuu

Gozuu New Member

It's actually the best counter to an Assault, every other class is worse than Assault currently, in 1v1 situation which is the best situation for an Assault.

Prove me otherwise or gtfo?
  17. Gozuu

Gozuu New Member

I heard Assaults can throw their bomb 200000 yards and hit everyone in a 2000yard radius.
  18. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Go ask OD how many kills I or Marmalade have gotten on him as assassins.

I am currently at 1.

Every good assault is pretty much always in the air when he hears an assassin (not hard) so you have a pretty hard time getting kills on him with grapples. Slashing is not a good idea due to charge and bomb and shurikens are, well shurikens. Slow as hell projectiles.

You provide no reason to make your posts believable.
  19. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Am I reading this properly? Shurikens are beastly. Partially because they travel quickly and partially because they bounce off walls.

Good assaults will get away before the kill usually, but they generally are forced to retreat with proper critkin application. I have to say though, retreat is not death. It's not a hard counter.
  20. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Very easy to avoid at range (where you will encounter assaults) and well, not hitscan which is the thing I meant.

Shurikens are great for slow moving targets but assaults are rather fast.