Hover tanks!

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by w33dkingca, August 9, 2016.

1. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Ok so im thinking of modding a factory in to the game, as the title suggest hover tanks!.. I know I need blender but I have - idea how to add units to the game, and how to set up the basic mesh, bones etc. Any one care to share the method or point me at a good guide for basically a noob to get making models for PA.?
  2. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Ok so I just seen the thread sticky at the top of the mod page :p
  3. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

4. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

talking the full shebang, aa units, fabber etc.
  5. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Ah, sounds good. Good luck with the mod!
  6. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Cant remember how to use blender, trying to learn the way to code the units from the config files is hard because its all one big long line. Im going to have some trouble as I have no idea what im doing as of now lol but thanks
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Try http://jsonlint.com to make those json config files more readable.
  8. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

So idea for a long range Hover tank/sniper not a finalised version.

Attached Files:

• mesh.png
      mesh.png
      File size:
      252.8 KB
      Views:
  9. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Also I will look in to that, DeathbyDenim. tanks :)
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  10. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Looks great. I always get excited when I see some people modeling some stuff. The trickyest part will probably be the textures. Thats also the most important phase I think. Do you have any experience with texturing?

Keep going!
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

I have 0 experience with texturing. At the moment im a noob all round. Any help would be appreciated. Also trying to figure out bones in 3ds max, no ide what im doing atm really.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  12. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

So after reading the guide posted by Kiwi, im a little confused. Do I need to make my models in blender for boning etc. or is 3ds max just as good. The guides are not really that well put.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

For what you're doing Blender *should* work fine-ish, but 3DS Max is preferable.
  14. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

There is no way to export 3ds max to .papa is there?? I have the exporter imported for blender, bu as you say 3ds max is preferable.
  15. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Updated sniper hover tank, lowered the poly count, added proper bones, Set them up, not sure if right... Muzzle flash is linked to the barrel the barrel is liked to the barrel pivot and also linked to the recoil bone, the recoil bone is also linked to the barrel pivot, all those parts are linked to the bone that makes the turret spin and all that is linked to the body which is linked to the root bone. If anyone can clarify this will work ok, or give me a better linkage map please do.
    mesh.png
  16. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

There is no way to import Papa files with 3ds Max. You do need it to export models though. You create the bone set and all that in Max (you can model in blender if you want though as long as you add bones and animations in max). Once you are done I believe that you export the model as fbx with 3ds Max and then convert it to Papa with the pa papatran software.

Good luck with the work though. Always nice to see more pa moddelers in the community.
    MrTBSC likes this.