[Hint] Improve UI debugging expirience on Windows / OS X

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by SXX, March 14, 2014.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

When 62519 released I seen some problem report about problem with Debugger on OSX. So I decide investigate and made interesting find in process and testing opened debugger url on Linux. It's always worked fine, but now I can click on any "view" and it's loaded debugger itself.

It's was only possible before, but I have to host debugger HTML on external server. And now Coherent host read files that going with client so it's work right here. So I checked what files Coherent trying to read on Windows and here is how you can reproduce same behavior on Windows.

Step by step:
    1. Go to directory where PA installed.
    2. Open this directory:
      <PA>/Coherent/Debugger/Win64/html/
    3. Copy "devtools" directory
    4. Paste it here:
      <PA>/bin_x64/host/
    Now you can open this URL, click on element and use debugger:
    http://127.0.0.1:9999/
    No server or standalone app required.

Enjoy ;)
    Last edited: March 14, 2014
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

At it's core, OS X has a very similar issue.

The devtools aren't shipped with the OS X version, so you need a copy of Debugger.app https://forums.uberent.com/threads/ui-debugger.50276/

1. Copy the contents of Debugger.app/Contents/MacOS/html/ (especially devtools, but I grabbed debugger.html for good measure)
    2. Paste into PA.app/Contents/MacOS/host/
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thanks for posting, updated title.

I think I'll upload "devtools" from 62857 to this post in case those files are different from one old debugger had.

Attached Files:

wondible likes this.
  4. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Thanks. There seems to be some difference - probably line endings - but diff -w doesn't show anything of note.
  5. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Does anyone need the latest OS X devtools?
  6. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

I don't understand the point on Windows, running "<PA>\Coherent\Debugger\Debugger.exe" works without any further tweaks. What does this add to the debugging experience ?
  7. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Ok, got it, it allow us to debug from a chromium based browser, and so with an even better debugger console.

Some adjustment regarding the how-to :
    It's "<PA>\Coherent\Debugger\html" content which has to be copied in "<PA>\bin_x64\host"
  8. mikeyh

Same tools but seemed much easier in chrome than the Coherent UI debugger.

Using the latest dev tools and chrome on OS X, I was able to hack a web based version of the lobby server browser that runs in chrome off a web server without coherent and the engine.

Not really a mod... I just wanted a web version of the lobby so I could see what else was going on while hosting or playing.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Basically you can run it in any browser you like using addons you like. E.g I know a lot of web developers who used to Firefox tools and extensions they can't live without. :)
  10. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Didn't work for me on FF, blank page instead of panels list, even if the html was here. I used AtomShell instead (I don't have Chrome).
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's really weird. It's did worked when I posted this topic... :confused:
  12. mikeyh

13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

reminds me a lot of the external ui mod I build. Cool! Using a custom protocol and a tiny ui mod you should also be able to have people click "join game" and have PA start and join the game.