Graphics in Planetary Annihilation. What it will look?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by WarStalkeR, September 14, 2012.

1. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR New Member

Well, this question was bothering me for quite a while... What style it will be? Simple Cartoonish (simple textures, simple models, simple effects) or Highly Detailed Realistic (detailed models, detailed high definition textures, high quality effects such as shadered realistic water & etc)?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

..............you didn't watch the Kickstarter Video?

Mike
  3. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

he has no flash lol and no pictures allowed watching kickstarter hp :D
  4. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR New Member

OrangeKnight... What we've seen in video was made specially for video, it wasn't based on game engine, everybody who looked for all details on video could easily say, that this video was created and rendered in 3D Editor...

Reading your replay to my message is quite sad. If you don't have to say anything useful, then pass by and read silently.
  5. commdor

commdor New Member

Some of the devs said in the live countdown for the Kickstarter project that the game's art style will closely resemble that seen in the concept video.
  6. Edswor

Edswor New Member

That's great, I love that style of graphics.
  7. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well well, someone is little bit taking it too serious. my 'replay' was my first thought. Actually it was quite often discussed, I read that it will be mostly like that, that the strong colors fit to the whole thing and it will have slight more detail maybe.
  8. falcrack

falcrack Member

I don't like the "swirly" look of land in the kickstarter video. What coast line actually looks like that?
  9. thapear

thapear Member

This has been on my mind as well. Although it probably won't be in the final game, as it wouldn't really benefit naval gameplay. They probably only put it there to show "Look, It's procedural".
  10. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well i guess the explosion will be bigger or more detailed, I hope.
  11. drtomb

drtomb Member

-Swirly stuff is unlikely to make it into the final product, Mavor said so.
    -Graphics will be as good as budget-time constrictions allows them, remember, they plan for Q2-3 2013 release.
    -The art-style shown in the video will carry on to the final product, that doesnt mean its the end-look.
    -Game is not even coded yet, calm down
  12. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I'm pretty sure it was Steve who said they kinda liked the swirls and that they'd probably remain in some form on certain planet archetypes.

But all you can with any certainty is the KS video broadly represents the aesthetic, which'll be refined over the life of the project, and the game graphics well be developed accordingly.
  13. daemonmf

daemonmf New Member

Awesome ones.

(BC they have stated they are going for awesome over realistic)
  14. Causeless

Causeless Member

It doesn't look very awesome, though...

I can imagine it being very messy with naval gameplay.
  15. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Not every piece of water need be navigable.
  16. thapear

thapear Member

True, but those swirls would only make a small area unusable for land, naval & buildings.
  17. acey195

acey195 Member

That can be a game play element, not every planet will have these swirls, if at all (I personally like em btw) Of course there should be enough usable surface area, but unusable surfaces can create all kinds of interesting mechanics, like chokepoints, making it harder to defend certain mexes than others, favoring air units on certain planets etc.
  18. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Eh, swirls where one of my favorite thing in the art style of the video. It made it unique compared to any other RTS game. So I like them too, and I agree that they would add some interesting strategies.

I would be very sad if they didn't make it into the game.
  19. uomoz

uomoz New Member

Ha! Hi Warstalker, big presence from the Starfarer community xD.

Graphical style will be probably very similar to what shown in the video (at least Devs stated this).
  20. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR New Member

Hi Uomoz, I see Starfarer community eager to annihilate planets too, not just space ships of Hegemony :)

It may be similar, but it can be with HD textures, highly detailed models, epic water shaders & etc.