Game status brain dump

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, November 25, 2013.

1. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Nice status update. I just love it when they do this. :D
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

If it's not in the core game, I'm pretty sure we can throw it in with our planned mod pack.
  3. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

it should really be a seperate mod with just global chat, that way the community is not forced into downloading other things. It would also potentially split the community if another mod with only global chat comes up.
  4. cwarner7264

Oh of course it will be standalone. We've got plans to release a pack of mods that can all be played used separately. Otherwise they may as well be released as a single mod :p
  5. superouman

superouman Post Master General

In Starcraft Brood War, everyone was logged in the public channels corresponding to the country. I hanged out a lot in private channels and I often spent more time in the channels than ingame. During the 5 or 6 years i played the game, I met so many people who became real life friends and it's awesome.

In Starcraft 2, there were no channels at the beginning and then they implemented a shady opt-in channel system. I barely spend 1 hour in total during the 2 years i played the game.

From my personal experience, an automatic connexion to public channels makes the gaming experience a lot better. It let the players interact with each other and the community will be alive much longer. I spend more time in Brood War thanks to the channel system.

You will often hear that Battle.net 2.0 is the place where you are alone with thousands of people.
  6. shootall

shootall Active Member

Always nice when people listen eh? ;)

Today on uber forums: The usual clones, some necromancy and neverending derails...

On Topic: Thanks for the news, i can't wait to see everything in action. Great job everyone!
    drz1, BulletMagnet and stormingkiwi like this.
  7. gunshin

thats good. i just dont want it tied into a mod that may have influence from nanolathe.
    stormingkiwi and cwarner7264 like this.
  8. cwarner7264

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you two are more alike than you realise ;)

Here's the current modding plan at any rate.
  9. gunshin

well i guess we can only see what happens with your plans, and ubers plans for the game. If needed, some of us have already expressed an intention for a competetive mod, and may have to make our own. I just fear that stupid **** like ants shooting up will be implemented.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. cwarner7264

I'm hoping that the 'Community Rebalance' (the blue circle) will take a lot of input from competitive players too. I'm certainly intending to open a balance debate that's open to everyone, not just Realm members. The idea being that it's a balance mod that has broad approval from the community, hence the name. I'm hoping you'll be in on that discussion when it arises.
  11. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Bit of a tangent, but TA had a simple, elegant and probably unintentional way of solving this while still allowing the design of non-missile units that could target planes - there was a limit to the angle turrets could point up, which was 45 degrees. This would pretty much eliminate all ballistic weapons from being able to hit aircraft, unless it had a massive muzzle velocity, and doesn't require arbitrary can/cannot target systems. It also works around the issue of multiple possible firing solutions, since if you can raise above 45 degrees there can be 2 possible muzzle alignments to hit a given target. Lasers and non-ballistic (ie. straight firing, like the Fido) weapons could still target aircraft, although their ability to hit wasn't great.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  12. gunshin

If tanks can barely hit aircraft, whats the point of allowing it to begin with? is this supposed to be some 'forgiving' mechanic for the noobs that fail to scout and see that they need air defence? There is no reason for a dedicated ground anti-ground unit to be able to shoot up. If you want to make a generalised tank that has a machine gun as its main weapon that can also target aircraft, thats fine.
    Quitch likes this.
  13. cwarner7264

Because why not? :D

We're off on a tangent here though (mostly my fault - sincere apologies). Let's save this for another thread or we can duke it out in the IRC if you want ;)
  14. gunshin

yeah ok. i guess im just someone who prefers a dedicated unit roster rather than a unit roster filled with everything shooting everything.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. arsene

arsene Active Member

yay update
    Last edited: November 26, 2013
  16. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

Awesome.... awesome to the MAX!
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I'll bite.

I don't want everything to shoot everything. I want everything to shoot at everything.

The worse they can make the attempt, the better. I don't care if they ever hit anything, as long as they don't not attempt to do anything at all.
    liquius and ace63 like this.
  18. gunshin

Lets keep the thread on topic, this is being discussed elsewhere currently.
  19. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Global chat honestly scares the crap out of me. I think here at Uber most people want to see it implemented but it really can destroy a community if it isn't "done right" so to speak. The biggest issue is we need to have proper moderation in place and be able to ban idiots who just want to spam the channel.
  20. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

moderators and ban option is standard in all game chats I know (though the moderation quality is varying heavily xD) what should be the problem?

Dota 2 handles iditots well: Too many reports => First ban for short period
    Still many reports => longer ban
    and so on. This works even without moderation. Of course such a system could be abused and therefore still needs human monitoring^^