Full Screen Support

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Planktum, October 29, 2013.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

The fisheye effect would be difficult to avoid.
    and it would ruin a lot of hard work the artist's put in.

But i do like that idea, i use that for my racing games, i have a cockpit and 3 monitors the 2 side monitors render my left and right window views so i can avoid hitting cars in turns. (I take my racing seriously :p if i get bumped in a corner i get very annoyed.. lol )
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Fully zoomed in, 4496x1024:
    [​IMG]

when compared to fully zoomed in 1936x1024
    [​IMG]
    it is QUITE visible what bgolus means when he says "you loose vertical view area".
  3. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I dont see any reason why anybody would want to play a game longer than 45 minutes looking at something like that.
    Your best bet is when multiple screens are used for multiple cameras.

(in response to culverins 3 camera bublle merge thing)
  4. cola_colin

Just changing the system so it works better with wide screen resolutions would be already pretty good.
  5. maxpowerz

WOW!! FOV definitely needs unlocking in your situation so you can stretch the view across the 2/3 monitors.
  6. maxpowerz

Put one monitor on top of the other and in windows set the setup like that in the window manager so you have monitor above monitor
    then try playing PA. ultra high screen instead of widescreen!! maybe more like 4:3 again
  7. cola_colin

Well since you can zoom out it doesn't matter as much. ;)
    Also I don't play like that, which will probably change once multiple views of the battlefield are possible.
  8. maxpowerz

Only reason i suggest that is because the FOV is locked to the width of the view, so stacking views make it so you can see more of the battlefield.
  9. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Screen per planet, screen per base etc. Will be awesome. I used dual screen in SupCom and disabled the minimap and never looked back.
  10. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

I don't think the artists are more concerned with the feel and environment they crafted than how we wish to view it.
    I've yet to hear 1 artist complain about players wanting to crank of FOV, even if it we do get a fisheye effect.
    In fact, that's usually the first "mod" or hack I see to an FPS with a subpar set of player options.

As for distortion, I'm asking to see "more".
    Only some of my "extra" would be actually be fisheyed noticeably.
  11. maxpowerz

do you have 2 monitors??
    if you do can you try setting them in windows so one is above the other (Stacked)
    and then place one monitor above other and stretch PA from top monitor to bottom of bottom monitor.
    TADA , more battlefield :) Just like TA .. lol
  12. Culverin

I definitely understand what @bgolus meant by "loose vertical area", but that's because of how the game is spitting out the render to us, it's "camera position, locked to render at 90 degrees to horizontal edges".

Taking your example of what is rendered up close...
    What if we saw that level of detail, but it scales up as we get more hardware?
    Let's say more resolution, more monitors...

I'm I am hoping for is this for when we scale up monitors..
    see a lot more.jpg

You see everything in the high polycount models the art team crafted.
    But now you see 9x more and just as pretty as that first instance.

While Strategic Zoom is revolutionary, in some ways, it's a software solution to our lack of hardware.
    We really wouldn't need it if we were all Batman.
    videowall.jpg
  13. cola_colin

until you just zoom in further, then you are back at roughly 4:3, just bigger
  14. Culverin

What I meant is seeing more without having to zoom out to lose pretty.
  15. Terrasque

Terrasque Member

Sorry, mate. You still don't make any sense to me :)

I've been trying to figure out exactly what you're after, but I honestly have no clue at this point.

You will see more details with more screens, the zoom is resolution and screen size independent, and the only reason we have details being removed when zooming out is because the hardware can't handle it. That's a graphics settings option.

And the strategic icons are there because things get so small you can't see unit and building details any more. They can also be turned off (does cinematic mode do this?)

So, with that in mind, and that having been pointed out several times, and you seemingly understand that.. And yet you're talking about .. something. And you've completely lost me (and from the other comments, most/all of the other posters too)

Could you maybe try to find another way to explain it? Maybe we can spot where the misconception is in our understanding?
    Quitch likes this.
  16. cola_colin

What he wants is a 100 meter big screen that shows the fully zoomed out view of the game in FA. That would result in single units still being pretty big and detailed. It's just hard to handle a screen of that size. That way it would not be "icon wars" because the single unit is still more than an icon.
  17. Culverin

Maybe I'm thinking in old-school graphics terms.
    In other games, all your other graphics settings such as HDR, bloom, anti-aliasing and what not were great, but they were not very "efficient".
    It always seemed that the best bang-for-buck graphics quality return was a higher res.
    I guess that's why I always kept asking for resolution, since that's also how we were able to see more in TA, but the Starcraft model of "scale % to screen" we see the same crap 15 years later.

I think @terrasque described it.
    It's a matter of the details "not" being removed.
    And yes, it's purely a hardware issue, that's what I was trying to get at.
    Is that as hardware gets better, we need a way to leverage it for a better game experience.

So many instead of "stop rendering unit details = zoom level 3".
    We get "stop rendering unit details = zoom level 5".

It's kind of the flip side of the coin to the common request that we can force Strat Icons on at all times.

And then not only to scale with hardware power (over time), but to scale with weird hardware setups.
    Maybe we should get a "lock to vertical" instead of "lock to horizontal" as an option?
  18. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Upcoming change (currently in the PTE build): min aspect FOV.

Those of you who use 16:9 or 16:10 monitors might not notice, but those experimenting with multi monitor or cinematic widescreen monitors might. Also the PIP better matches the current view when copying or swapping the view.

[​IMG]

Notice that the vertical play area does not change, it's always the same center region.

If you have a view that's taller than it is wide (like split a view or portrait monitor) it'll be like the 1:1 view with the top and bottom extended, like this:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    nobrains, Gorbles, cola_colin and 7 others like this.
  19. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Doesn't something like this mean that everything will keep getting smaller and smaller if the resolution increases? So if I have a 20 inch 1080p screen now and buy a 20 inch 4k screen later, doesn't everything become very small? Or does it just follow the aspect ratio?

Edit: aspect ratio it is, awesome work!!! Will be awesome on multi-monitor setups!!
  20. cola_colin

Now go fix the stupid icons. Or are they fixed? I may need to look at n screens again.