Friendly Fire artillery

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by leewang, August 25, 2012.

1. leewang

leewang New Member

Obviously one should be careful with friendly fire to keep it from just be annoying or even being used for grieving. But I hope they implement some friendly fire on the bigger guns like TA had. Not only is it really cool, it also makes for more diverse tactics.
  2. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

I think any splash damage and indirect fire weapon should have some degree of friendly fire.

It took away a bit of depth from SupCom 1 when they removed T1 Artillery friendly fire. There were *some* reasons for playability, but most T1 artillery spam / T1 artillery only builds came from the fact that there was simply no friendly fire risk for that artillery blob, and they could just drive through the enemy lines unhindered, taking potshots at everything in range.
  3. leewang

leewang New Member

I got it from you, I'm sorry I didn't credit you! :oops:
  4. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I agree, I think friendly fire should definitely be a part of the game at 100%.

There are certainly ways to avoid friendly fire by being smart about it, but making shells not do damage to your own units makes the game inconsistent and difficult to understand for the other player when they see explosions on the ground.

Bringing your units in close to the enemy when only the enemy has air support is an interesting advantage to obtain. It gives the disadvantaged player a fighting chance to fight on the same level with other ground units.

Making weapons inaccurate will increase friendly fire and force players to be more careful with the most powerful area-effect weapons.
  5. Regabond

Regabond Member

You mean SupCom 2? SupCom 1 had plenty of friendly fire.

But yes, friendly fire needs to be included. After playing without it in SupCom 2 I realized just how important it was. That risk of using too many high AOE units or fighting under your own arty just wasn't there.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Mobile T1 Artillery in SupCom1 and FA does not have friendly fire.
  7. sal0x2328

sal0x2328 Member

I think that the game should support friendly fire, particularly in the case of units moving into an area that has incoming fire, and with splash damage, but there should be some controls to limit friendly fire. One thing I hated was when my own base, or something very explosive in it, was destroyed by my own guns. Such as how flack guns could hit your own buildings in TA.

Some solutions could be:
    Indicating units that all of your units should avoid shooting at a specific unit or units, maybe with a toggle like there was for movement and fire orders in TA.
    Indicating that a specific units should avoid firing at any of your units, again via a toggle.
    Implementing self-destructing projectiles so they do not randomly fall somewhere dangerous way off target.
    Using "smart" or "brilliant" projectiles that are fired at an area and then seek out enemy units, avoiding your own.
  8. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

im in favor on friendly fire, but only on high tier artillery and missiles not the small standard units you have in the beginning of a game. (if you have 100 of one unit type that does ff, you wont be happy with it, but you can manage a small amount of high tier arty not to shoot your own units).

By time people will know what units have ff and which have none.
  9. Spooky

Spooky Member

Supreme Commander was very selective when it comes to friendly fire. For instances, many units are supposed to have friendly fire, but they only really damaged allied units, not your own. I guess there were some bugs here and there.
  10. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

I agree with this. For example; the Long Range Artilleries from Supreme Commander 2 should have friendly fire - and with that, an option to turn them off / to not shoot near friendly units.