Flat Maps are Coming

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, October 3, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

So an assumption then.

"A thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof"
    Taxman66 likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's not an assumption. It's speculation. There is specific info which means it more likely to happen than to not happen.

It was always speculation. I had thought that was obvious, but whatever.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You just like provocative thread titles ;) Flat maps out of stock in PA are very unlikely just because HR makes them work in theory for the engine. Sure modders could profit from HR work, but even then making flat maps work in PA will be quite a feat. Every last bit of PA is build with spherical planets in mind.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@brianpurkiss we'd still prefer it if you didn't assume.

for example : "It's a very simple and reasonable conclusion. HR team makes improvements to the engine, which is used by PA, and by Uber's own words, improvements to HR via the engine can translate into improvements into PA." here's the word to be accentuated : "can". It does not translate into "will".

and even the "can" is a little dubious here. It should rather be "could" or "may" or hey "soon"
    galaxyisos and bradaz85 like this.
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I just wanna say, when i read your post, i understood what you meant.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  6. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Classic 'Garden Path' thread :p
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Then I should have phrased it better, but I thought it was pretty obvious that this was speculation.

@Devak knew what I was saying.

[​IMG]
    Grimseff and Devak like this.
  8. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

That is what amazes me about Uber. They are so good at fooling people, I think they actually manage to fool themselves. They don't promote offline for HR because they haven't delivered offline for PA, YET they talk about how they have DELIVERED on PA.
  9. Planktum

Is HR going to have Linux support? I see no mention of it in their Kickstarter pitch, yet I would have thought the answer to this question would be yes, IF they are using exactly the same engine. Unfortunately we cannot believe anything that Uber say. They promise cross game benefit from development on HR but this is just more marketing guff.
    Last edited: October 3, 2014
  10. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I would also like a 40 unit cap. And a cap that removes orbital and air and naval. And another option that turns the game into Dune II.
    stuart98 and bradaz85 like this.
  11. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Sigh. FAQ says no for now. Stop doomglooming
  12. Planktum

How is that doomglooming? It's a pretty obvious question to be asked. I can't see any reason for HR not to support Linux if the game engine via PA already does. Is there something Uber's not telling us?
  13. cola_colin

Look at how many small issues PA for linux actually has. Lots of small edge cases that all need to be taken care of. You can be sure of that even if the engine in concept supports linux that HR will introduce a ton of new such annoying edge cases, pushing up the cost to support linux.
  14. Planktum

Yeah maybe, but by excluding Offline and Linux from the HR kickstarter, they have pretty much admitted that they have not delivered on PA, even though they are publicly stating that they have delivered.
  15. cola_colin

Well the have deliver on a lot of features. Yes they have not delivered on offline play yet and I think it is a wise idea not to push on "offline play" and "drm free" for HR until PA has reached that state. I just read back to the first updates on the PA Kickstarter and it is indeed looking bad how the big new announcements in their fist update (or 2nd) are: offline play! lan parties! no drm!.
    They really should deliver on those asap to stop looking bad. I actually wonder how the KS chart of HR will react to that.
  16. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

This.
    Well...it's another blog-style post with a click-bait title by Bryyeeen
    bradaz85 likes this.
  17. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

w/ the sun I can't see PA having a spherical map, unless if it's a metal plataform!
  18. ncostes

ncostes New Member

Reusing parts of software component A in software component B does not mean that everything that used software component A somehow gets updated to have all of the capabilities added to A during the development of B.

That would require more development on the products that used component A, and at least one additional integration and release cycle. Flat maps weren't even something that was promised, I would hope if they actually keep working on PA they would start with the items that were confirmed features (here comes beating the dead horse time - save games, offline/local server for control and performance esp w/LAN games and single player - I'm ok w/DRM being there just make it unobtrusive)

But hey we have STEAM TRADING CARDS now!!!
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Let's say fair most of Linux issues was caused by one particular 3rd party middleware that also cause quite a lot of issues on Windows. Other big problem was lack of experience of cross-platform development when Uber originally created engine, but now it's no longer issue.

I suppose support of Mac / Linux in PA was extremely expensive feature that likely hard to justify for new game, but once engine is cross-platform it's really cheap to support it.
    nlaush likes this.
  20. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Damn clickbait....
    bradaz85 likes this.