Fix for Linux CoherentUI issued!

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Brokenshakles, September 4, 2014.

1. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Hey!

I decided to file a bug ticket with Coherent-Labs, they have investigated the CoherentUI issue and issued me a fix via Email! I though I might share it with all of you!

Here is a copy of the text my support liason, Mr. Smith, has sent me:

Hi Brokenshakles,

I believe we were able to isolate the issue your reported and created a fix for it. I guess there should an update from Uber on this issue soon but if you prefer no to wait you can follow the instructions below.

1. Back up you old Coherent UI host directory - it should be $HOME/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetary\ Annihilation/host
    2. Download this archive [Redacted] and extract it in $HOME/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetary\ Annihilation/ (it will override the host folder )
    3. Play the game
    Best regards,

Mr. Smith - Support Engineer at Coherent Labs

Edit: Mr Smith asked me to take the link down, I am obliging him. If anyone who actually works at uber wants it for testing, please send me a tell. Everyone else, I apologize for the inconvienience.
    Last edited: September 4, 2014
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Coherent is awesome for this.
    Remy561 likes this.
  3. Brokenshakles

Please note that I just got this and am still testing, please post feedback so we know what the results are across multiple distro's and platforms.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Interesting, but it's still have partially crash on game window resize with errors like current PA's version with "--software-ui":
    Code:
    [19:16:58.150] ERROR Could not create shared memory segment.
    7447 15:16:58.156729 W | PID: 7465 | 7686 15:16:58.095169 [7465:7686:WARNING:accelerated_surface_linux_coherent.cc(256)] could not update shared memory image
    7447 15:16:58.156820 W | PID: 7465 | 7686 15:16:58.095350 [7465:7686:ERROR:x11_util.cc(1668)] X error received: serial 17316, error_code 10 (BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)), request_code 130, minor_code 1 (X_ShmAttach)
    Looks like they added some error handling so it's no longer shutdown host completely after error occur.
  5. Brokenshakles

Seems to keep things coming to a screeching halt like before though.

Edit: The fix seems to work, just completed a round of Galatic War on Linux!
  6. AyanZo

AyanZo Active Member

Redacted.. why. oh god, this is a miracle I've been looking for.
  7. Brokenshakles

Unfortunately AyanZo, the fix is proprietary software, and I have to abide by the terms of use that they give me. But trust me, I will make sure that Uber gets it, so it should be in an upcoming release. Your role right now is to let Uber know that you are looking forward to it.
    cdrkf, dukyduke and shootall like this.
  8. sechastain

sechastain Member

... awwww yisssss ...
  9. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

So @garat Coherent already have the fix. Can it please be a priority now?
    nlaush likes this.
  10. n00n

n00n Active Member

I'm very disappointed that Uber hadn't bother to do this?!
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Who says they have not?
    Remy561 and shootall like this.
  12. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

It might be quite a new fix, but still some official word from Uber would be good since we know the fix from Coherent exists and the ball is in their court for Linux gamers.
    shootall likes this.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Why do you think so? Uber communicate with Coherent guys quite often.

I suppose you would prefer actual fix released instead "official word". :D

PS: This is new version isn't 100% fix issue itself, but just make it not shutdown when one of view crashed.
    dukyduke, nlaush and shootall like this.
  14. n00n

n00n Active Member

Not me, see the question mark? ;)

Was just how I interpreted the wording of the e-mail on my first read. Rereading, it can be interpreted as having already been fixed I guess.

When it takes as long as this one has, I'd prefer a little more feedback.
  15. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Please give us some credit - doing a local fix is not the same thing as integrating brand new libraries to our entire code base. We update coherent regularly. We also are tackling three platforms at once. Jorgen is on it, but we have limited bandwidth guys, and still a lot of things we want to get resolved. Including this.
    cdrkf, Remy561, drz1 and 4 others like this.
  16. n00n

n00n Active Member

This is the first I've hear about adding a new libraries being required. Moving to Coherent UI 2.0?
  17. garat

We update Coherent probably every two or three months. Because of launch, we decided to hold off integrating for a little bit to improve overall stability. We'll probably be integrating the newest version of Coherent starting next week.

It's not something we talk about much, because most people neither know nor care. :)
    cdrkf, Remy561, drz1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Brokenshakles

Just so you guys know, I posted the OP about 5 min after I received the email with the fix, so this is literally an 0-day announcement. This fix is the result of the support ticked I filed, so its definitely new. Also, the fix has the CoherentUI version number 1.8.5.5.
    dukyduke and n00n like this.
  19. garat

I also think they're well aware of it, but I just pointed a few engineers here to this specific thread.
  20. Brokenshakles

I'm actually sorry I jumped the gun reposting it, he didn't want me doing that yet before their internal testers got to it, they were just being nice to me since I went to the trouble of getting them a properly formatted, documented and referenced bug report. I'm just very excited to see them being so responsive to joe-off-the-street. As for people not caring about CoherentUI, we touch the thing every time we click in PA, so it's performance is going to be important to us. Please be patient Linux users! The situation appears to be well in hand.