Dream game: Planetary Annihilation + Metal Fatigue BOTS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by commissarpt, January 24, 2014.

1. commissarpt

commissarpt New Member

Hey everyone!! backer here!

Was playing some PA, testing out new stuff against AI (not a fan of VS online game) and was amazed by how far this game has gone, since the first alpha, a little dissapointed about the removal of release, but i think it was the right thing to do... The game still feels a bit "raw".

When i was playing i remembered a game i played years ago called Metal Fatigue, by Psygnosis.

I this game you could build giant robots (called combots) and fully costumize them (build arms / torso / legs) in a factory and assemble them using an assembly structure (dunno the name lol) Then you could train the crew to pilot it. Once deployed you could eject the arms and pick up enemy combots arms if you managed to rip them off.. You could also bring the enemy arm to your factory and research it to obtain its blueprint and make new ones...

You had 3 factions, all different, and you had surface, underground and orbital layers!!!

How awsome would it be if they could somehow make something like this in Planetary anihalation???
    iron420 likes this.
  2. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

So many people say they want this it's gonna be hard for them to keep it out. Lord knows they are trying though...
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The game is still in beta. And the release wasn't removed, it was postponed. We'll probably see the full release within the next six months or so.

Pretty much all of this has been discussed in one thread or another.

First off, keep in mind that Uber wants PA to be about lots of units and have all units valid at all stages of the game.

That means building fully customizable single units that you spend a lot of time on would go against the principles of the game. Uber wants this to be about large armies, not a single large unit going through and wrecking shop.

And even if these units were smaller and in large quantity, that's a lot of work for a single unit. Both for gameplay, development, and game balance. So something like this won't be added in the game release. However, there's talk of mods for "modular units." We'll see how that comes along.

What you're describing sounds really cool, but too small scale for a large scale game like PA.

We're building and destroying hundreds, and sometimes close to thousands of units and building each game. And these matches are small compared to what they'll be in the future.

Focusing on combat to the point of watching it so closely that you're picking up the arm of a fallen opponent is... well. too small for PA. In PA, we have to be doing things all the time and often fighting multiple battles at once, while expanding our economy at the same time.

Underground is a confirmed no, as is multiple factions. For the release we're going to have one set of units. Maybe we'll have more in the future, but at the very least we'll have mods adding more factions.

More is not always better.

In fact, we already have so much in PA that adding more will make the game too much. There are already lots of RTS fans that thing PA will have too much going on to be playable. I think Uber is doing a great job adding in features to keep that from happening, but we can't add too much or the game will be unplayable because there will be too much happening.
    ledarsi and carlorizzante like this.
  4. commissarpt

commissarpt New Member

Yhea you are right.... i love PA because i can build several factories and mass produce tanks and bots and having my base alive and moving...

Guess i wouldn't mind a Metal Fatigue 2 then... that would be awsome...
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's a really cool idea and I want to try out that game now.

I just don't think it's a fit for the Planetary Annihilation game style.

Welcome to the forums – keep those ideas coming! :-D
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

as cool as it was back then if only metalfatigue had more basic units with combots being a bit rarer and more powerfull on the battlefield i would have liked it far more ... i remember on one of the campaign missions were i had to destroy and reclaim a headoth commbot i had to spam like 100+ flying combots to finaly kill it after like 45 minutes bombers were peadroppers in that game ... man that was tedious ... i was probably just bad on it though

however something i realy would love for a PA mod in some way which i think would be not THAT hard to make
    is a pretty old classic and favorite of mine called Metal Marines

missilelaunch
    [​IMG]

metal marines duking it out
    [​IMG]

anti matter ICBM about to go off
    [​IMG]

skip forward to 2:15 for gameplay

as you can see quite simple :)

though probably the one big reason i grew to like annihilationstyle rts
    and why i friggin love orbiting interplanetarywarfare in PA
    Last edited: January 25, 2014