Doing Videos Right - A Guide for YouTubery

Discussion in 'Super MNC Gameplay Videos' started by sunnydove, January 30, 2012.

1. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

Need more information. Give us screenshots of your settings and stuff. Describe your hardware setup as well.
  2. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

One quick question.

I just record a commentary audio file then merge it in moviemaker with the video, right?

And viewing the video at the same time doesn't interfere with recording, like I can fullscreen the video and still record my chatter, right?
  3. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

do you mean only recording audio? if so, no, it doesn't interfere.
  4. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

Watching the video won't interfere with recording as long as your mic doesn't pick up the sound. Just listen somewhat quietly to the game audio in headphones while speaking into your microphone.
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I record stuff with resolution at 1024x720
    Settings are texture 3, world 2, shadows 1, V-sync on.
    Think should change to how I currently have for playing (3, 1, 1, no sync)

Hardware is

AMD Radeon HD 6380G
    AMD Dual-Core E2-3000M 1.7GHz
    4GB DDR3 RAM

Recording with Fraps
  6. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

kval, you forgot the most important part: what you use to encode the video?
  7. kvalheim

I have no idea.
    How do check?
  8. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

The video editing program.

WMM, Sony Vegas, etc.
  9. kvalheim

Oh.
    I'm a poor person, I use Windows Movie Maker ;_;
  10. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

It screws with video quality a lot.

Besides, what's "poor" on the internet?
  11. kvalheim

No, but it's quiet BEFORE I put it into WMM
  12. thatdudeoverthere

thatdudeoverthere New Member

So when I record a video in Dxtory using the second audio channel for my microphone, the raw video has everything, but when I put it into WMM (to reduce the filesize and give youtube something it can handle) the microphone recording simply isn't there anymore.

Does WMM just not detect the second channel? How do I fix this?
  13. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

Use the avi mux tool in dxtory (its one of the buttons on the bottom of dxtory), it will mix the channels as you need them.

Then let the virtualdub do the rest :p
  14. thatdudeoverthere

Um

Can you give me more detail than that?

Assume I'm a simpleton.
  15. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

Avimux comes with dxtory, its really straight forward, you can also adjust the volume of the tracks.
    [​IMG]
  16. thatdudeoverthere

17. rorusraz

rorusraz New Member

I'm having a problem extracting game sound from my videos. I record with Playclaw, write up a script with AviSynth to trim off the end bits, and then load that script up through Virtual Dub to extract the raw audio data.

Normally this works fine, but today I've had to videos where I will import the raw audio into Audacity and it's a whopping 1-2 minutes longer than the video itself. Naturally, this means hilariously bad sync issues, but I watch the raw video and everything is synced up perfectly.

This is the first issue I've had here, and I'm not sure if the problem is Vdub, Playclaw, or a setting I've messed up somewhere.
  18. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

with playclaw you can initially have the audio and video seperate while recording, two different files rather than in the same one. that might help.
  19. rorusraz

rorusraz New Member

So, I'm trying out Dxtory after using Playclaw for a few months, but I'm noticing that I record at about 10 frames lower than Playclaw (and the resulting file is about three times the size).

Gonna post my specs, just to have all the information. Maybe I just need to lower my settings some more, or maybe the settings I am lowering aren't giving me the best mileage.

Intel Core i3-2000
    8 gigs of RAM
    GeForce GTX 560
    Windows Enterprise 64-bit

The HDD I'm using to record isn't the best (dxtory clocks it at 51 MB/s, but not sure how reliable that is), but it's the only spare one I got besides the on I'm using for my OS.
  20. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

At 50 MB/s, you'll want to use either the lowest dxtory codec setting (still equivalent to default fraps codec) or install the lagarith lossless codec. I use lagarith 1280x720 rgb at 30.00 FPS and get no dropped frames, but I've got a 7200 rpm drive clocking in at around 120 MB/s.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to use something with more compression. The nice thing about dxtory is you can use about any video codec you install on your PC for recording--test out some other options. Although, I'd highly recommend picking up a reasonably priced 7200 RPM drive that will give you around 100 MB/s. Western Digital Black and Samsung F3 are good options last I checked newegg. They are both around $100. This would allow you to use lagarith lossless at 720p.