Doing Videos Right - A Guide for YouTubery

Discussion in 'Super MNC Gameplay Videos' started by sunnydove, January 30, 2012.

1. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

OK, how did this happen? All my test videos of SMNC used to have black borders, but now they are all gone and fit perfectly in the youtube window. Does Youtube do any auto-resizing?
  2. Not Officer Willy

Not Officer Willy New Member

youtube doesn't do any resizing unless you pick some retarded resolution that's not 360,480,720, or 1080p. If you happen to upload something other than that it will most likely round down to the resolution it supports
  3. jbeetle

Yea but how do you explain people viewing my videos, saying there's black borders, and now they have disappeared?
  4. Not Officer Willy

My Guess would be is your not letting youtube finish processing the video after you finish uploading the video.
  5. jbeetle

I thought you couldn't even view it while it's processing.
  6. Not Officer Willy

You can but at the bottom of the video it'll say something about the video has not finished processing
  7. jbeetle

anytime I've noticed all it does is replace the video with a sad youtube face saying "This video is still processing"
  8. muromets

muromets Member

Ok I looked at your video and the quality is still very poor. What bit rate are you rendering it as? Also if I were you, I'd record the gameplay in 720p and render it as uncompressed .mov file (720p @ 29.97fps). If you are having a hard time using MeGUI then use handbrake. Also since you said that you have a fast internet speed - 30Mb/s - aim for higher bit rate, it will make your file sizes larger, but it will make the video very nice quality. You don't really need anything above 10Mp/s unless you have Full HD (1080p) clips. If you can't afford to buy another hard drive maybe disassemble the external hard drive and put it in your computer. With a SATA cable it will be much faster than the USB 3.0.
    Hope that helps. If you need any further help feel free to ask.

PS: Sorry Sunny I hope you don't think that I'm taking over this thread, just trying to help others :D
  9. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

No problem. I appreciate the help with questions. I am usually typing from my iPhone and can use the help. Besides, you know what you're talking about.
  10. jbeetle

I honestly didn't know you could disassemble an external usb to make it an internal sata.
  11. jbeetle

OK, I have successfully turned my really old 150g drive into an external (my gf could use it for backup) and turned my new usb 1tb external into an sata internal. I learn things every day.

As for what bitrate I'm using, I have no idea. That's how much of a noob I am. I'm more or less using playclaw's defaults.
  12. Not Officer Willy

Nothing to do with playclaw unless maybe your using the compression method that it has but he is referring to the way you render the video when your using sony vegas or MeGUI which ever your going to use.
  13. jbeetle

ah right. Well right now I'm not trying to do anything fancy. MeGUI wasn't easy for me. I know I'm missing something stupid, but an error keeps coming up when I try to follow that tutorial.

Right now I'm just rendering Main Concept with default Sony Vegas.

PS. Recording to an internal drive makes a huge difference, go figure. When I stop recording it doesn't freeze up my computer for 10 seconds while it (catches up?).

edit: I followed "The Good Method" to a tee and got http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eBtJh9H ... e=youtu.be . It's an improvement.

Attached Files:

14. muromets

muromets Member

Well its an improvement. When following the tutorial did you download that Avid Codec and Handbrake?
    When you add the video to Vegas make sure to change the project settings. As i marked in red, thats the button to change project settings.
    To get the best results from that tutorial make sure you follow the steps. So dont render the video as AVC/AAC (like you did in that screenshot) but instead use "quicktime .mov" and "uncompressed" template. like this: If you dont see that "uncompressed" template then download Quicktime from this site.
    Then go into settings and set the following values: - 720p settings
    Once that finishes rendering, it will be a huge file. Thats why you then have to put it back into Handbrake to get the desired results. Apply the recommended Handbrake settings. Also when using handbrake you can change the quality of the video with the slider under the "video" tab. So a smaller value will have higher quality and a higher value will result in a smaller file (higher compression rate). As the video recommends set a value of 19.
    I don't know why you get an error but make sure you follow those render settings in vegas and then open the rendered file in Handbrake. As you can see there is a lot of work in rendering videos and uploading them to YouTube, so that they look nice. Try it and see if that improves the quality.

Attached Files:

15. jbeetle

OK, using the "The Better Method" video (aka Handbrake and avid codecs) I came up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-n47_R8 ... e=youtu.be

If every time you render you lose quality, why does the video suggest you render once in Vegas then once in Handbrake? Is it actually rendering it twice or just adjusting settings in Handbrake?
  16. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

It actually renders two times. Generally, you want to avoid rendering multiple times to lossy formats. A lossy codec is any with heavy compression like encoding AVC/AAC to an mp4 file. Lossless formats are ones that attempt to capture the frames very close to their original state. The method you are talking about first creates a relatively lossless .mov and then you can compress to a lossy mp4 or flv in a front-end program like handbrake or megui. Basically, all you need to know is you don't want to render the same thing multiple times to lossy formats. This will degrade the original footage each time.

And argh, I really need to work on my original post. I can make it much better.
  17. Not Officer Willy

Dumb question of the century, is there any point what so ever to render a video at all. Why can't you just upload the original video to youtube straight since youtube is going to do it's magic to it regardless of what you do. Explain in at least 3-4 pages and have a works cited page :ugeek:

*edit only reason I could think of is because of the file size (being to big) of the original file would be the reason you would want to render the file.
  18. muromets

muromets Member

Thats pretty much it. If you could upload +30Gb file sizes much quicker there wouldnt be any need to render it. However large file sizes would take longer for youtube to render it into FLV.
  19. thatdudeoverthere

thatdudeoverthere New Member

This seems like the right place to ask.

I'm using dxstory to record video of a demo that's about 20 minutes long, and there's something wrong with the audio in the final video each time.

It always starts off fine, but eventually sounds start happening multiple times, like the audio in the final video will play, but one top of it is the same audio, delayed by like second or so, and eventually it gets really loud and this persistent noise almost like a jet engine flying past starts happening.

Anyone have any idea what the hell that is or how I can fix it?

edit: nevermind

turns out I accidentally had my speakers as both the primary AND secondary audio source and it was literally trying to record them twice :oops:
  20. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

The sound in my videos is always REALLY quiet, anyone know how to fix this?
    Game sound is high, using Fraps to record.