Use the In-Game Community Mods - raevn's PA Mod Manager for Linux and Mac OS X is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by DeathByDenim, August 25, 2013.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Is symlinking mod directories supposed to work? I was having a few difficulties with my editor with spaces in the path. I tried moving it somewhere else to work on it, but the symlinked mods aren't showing in the installed mods list.

I guess I could always symlink the other way.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Oh, I guess it doesn't. I kind of assumed QDirIterator would take care of all that, but apparently it needs an extra flag QDirIterator::FollowSymlinks for that to work. I've update the code and the Linux binary on GitHub, but I can only do the Mac one later today.

(If you do download the Linux binary now, it will complain about there being an update, but just ignore that, that will fix itself after I officially release it)
    wondible likes this.
  3. DeathByDenim

New version adds support for the two new scenes, "live_game_econ" and "live_game_hover" in build 61250.
  4. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

Okay, this is only semi-related to this, but;

On OSX, where do the mods get put atm?
    I've tried looking at /Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/mods/...
    and PA.app/Content/...

I haven't found any of the mods I've got installed in either, yet they still load on startup. Searching through finder has been useless for this (I don't think it even checks 'hidden' folders) and using terminal's find took ages and gave a large amount of 'permission denied' errors.
  5. DeathByDenim

You're close. It's in the Library folder of your home-directory, not the root. So it would be ~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/mods
    Actually, I'm not quite sure why you would even have an Uber Entertainment folder in /Library/Application Support. Everything should be in ~/Library/Application Support. (where ~ = /Users/<your username>/, but you probably already knew that since you can use the Terminal)
  6. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

Actually… I'm not remotely good with terminal and am mostly applying memories of DOS with what I know of the Terminal command set.

I think the ./Library/... (or whatever the base directory's designation is) is from me trying to manually put some in before I found this existed.

Thank you for taking the time to do this though, it is much appreciated.
  7. wondible

Well, it seems that PA doesn't follow symlinks either. I should have checked that first, sorry for the trouble.
  8. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I don't have an /library/application support directory under my /Users/<username> dir - any idea where my mod files are?
  9. wondible

Apple doesn't want you touching their pretty computers ;^) ~/Library is hidden by Finder. Here is the first link from a search on how to get to it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1161156/view_library_folder_in_lion.html
  10. DeathByDenim

Yeah, I discovered that later on as well. That's kind of silly.
    Oh well, you can always make a symlink to the moddir instead.
  11. DeathByDenim

New version released to accommodate the two new scenes introduced in build 62037. This also pushed a few updates I had in the pipeline. Most importantly, the text based mod filter as suggested by cola_colin, I think. It only works for the available mods tab for now, but it you press Ctrl+M (or Command+M), you get a text field where you can type text. Only mods containing that text will be shown.

Now if I could only launch PA... it crashes on me 100% of the time on Linux... Grr.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  12. wondible

Could use a button or something, it's kind of an easter egg right now.

Next feature request: mod sets so I can switch between mod development (as little else going on as possible) to the full suite for actual play.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  13. DeathByDenim

It's also in the View menu. I guess I can make it more obvious somehow. I didn't want to clutter the UI. I'll have a look.

What do you mean with mod development. Disable all of the other mods while working on your own mod?

Oh, I also forgot to mention. Under File, you can now open the mod folder where all of the mods are located.
  14. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That would be quite nice!
  15. wondible

Good enough. Menus are easy to forget about on OS X ;^)

Disable all covers most of it. Of course I'll be enabling the mod under development (often a 'separate' dev version) and maybe a few others (e.g staticmenu, blackscreen, and maybe instant sandbox if I get it working again.)
  16. wondible

Another thing - a command line interface to rebuild the mod list, or en/disable mods. With this I could write scripts to create "mod sets" without you having to create any new UI.

Actually, do you know if the game uses the "enabled" setting, or is that only used by PAMM? If it's just the 3 files I could partially accomplish it by juggling files.
  17. DeathByDenim

Ooh, that's pretty neat actually. And who doesn't like a good command line?

Yeah, the game uses the enabled setting. It's the reason why PAMM always keeps rewriting the modinfo.json. These are the official fields. PAMM just adds to those.
  18. DeathByDenim

Added support for the new style of specifying scenes, but the old ones will still work too. Also some minor stuff, see main post.
  19. wondible

Feature request: compact view with one line per mod. Especially for installed view, but I often find myself scrolling-and-scrolling through available as well.
    cola_colin likes this.
  20. DeathByDenim

I thought the installed-mods view was already quite compact. :)

So you mean just a checkbox and the name of the mod? So:
    Code:
    [x] Linger
    [ ] Fabulous Selections
    or
    Code:
    [x] Linger, Version 1.0.0, build 62110 by wondible
    [ ] Fabulous Selections, Version 0.0.0, build 62110 by wondible
    And no buttons either?