Use the In-Game Community Mods - raevn's PA Mod Manager for Linux and Mac OS X is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by DeathByDenim, August 25, 2013.

1. spark44444

spark44444 New Member

Ok so basically nothing is automated here? I'm terribly rusty in terminal.

I'm missing the step by step so I'll start here and maybe you can fill me in where I go wrong.

1. Download the file at the top of this thread
    2. Unzip and move the file called "pamm_mac" and the folder called "img" to the directory where PA.app is located
    3. Check directory structure using terminal. I on my OSX 10.9 I have the following structure
    Code:
    :pa.app ls
    Contents    licenses.txt
    Inside "contents" there is
    Code:
    :pa.app cd contents
    pa.app/contents/ ls
    Info.plist    MacOS        Resources
    The ui mods folder is located here for me
    Code:
    :mods pwd
    /applications/pa.app/contents/resources/ui/mods
    Listing the contents there is a readme.txt explaining in no laymans terms what I need to do:
    This is my first obstacle. I create an empty file in /mods but then the instructions say
    ...and that's where I start having problems. Don't know how to format the file. Any tips on editors? Am I supposed to simply cut and paste the "/* start ui_mod_list */" and so on into the file? What's the best way to do that? What do I need to do after that?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The mod manager should edit that file for you.
    Apart from that you can edit the file with any texteditor. Whatever name a texteditor may have on mac.
    Yes you are suppsed to paste the template into the file and then add extra lines for the mods, so i.e mine looks like this:

var global_mod_list = [
    'http://www.nanodesu.info/stuff/pa/mods/live/pastats/pa_stats_loader.js',
    'http://pa-tournaments.com/mod/pa-tournaments-loader.js'
    ];
    var scene_mod_list = {'connect_to_game': [

],'game_over': [

],
    'icon_atlas': [

],
    'live_game': [
    '../../mods/selectionpreview/live_game/selection_preview.js',
    '../../mods/slowbars/live_game/slowbars.js',
    '../../mods/rPreventBackspaceFix/rPreventBackspaceFix.js',
    '../../mods/rCommanderHP/rCommanderHP.css',
    '../../mods/rCommanderHP/rCommanderHP.js',
    '../../mods/modbatch/live_game/modbatch.js',
    '../../mods/keymapper/live_game/map.js',
    '../../mods/keymapper/live_game/keymapper.js',
    '../../mods/EcoEff/EcoEff.js',
    '../../mods/EcoEff/EcoEff.css',
    '../../mods/dTimer/dTimer.css',
    '../../mods/dTimer/dTimer.js'
    ],
    'load_planet': [

],
    'lobby': [

],
    'matchmaking': [

],
    'new_game': [
    '../../mods/private_marker/new_game/private_marker.js'
    ],
    'server_browser': [

],
    'settings': [

],
    'special_icon_atlas': [

],
    'start': [

],
    'system_editor': [

],
    'transit': [

]
    }
    /* end ui_mod_list */
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, that's what you need. Now start the modmanager as follows:
    Code:
    ./pamm_mac --modpath /applications/pa.app/contents/resources/ui/mods
    If you have mode unzipped in that directory, then the modmanager should pick those up.
    Don't bother with the "Launch PA" button though. It will most likely not work. :)
    Just launch PA as you normally would.
  4. DeathByDenim

Also, while I am at it: Here is a fixed version of raevn's UI mod to show the installed mods. The version raevn made broke because they got rid of button "A5" in the UI.

Attached Files:

5. DeathByDenim

Minor update. There were two bugs in the modmanager, which have now been fixed.
    • Fixed author name. It would break if it contained commas.
    • Have two or more mods work on the same file caused an invalid ui_mod_list.js to be generated.
  6. mrosseel

mrosseel New Member

thanks for the updates, it seems the problem is not really with your software but with the weird mac directories.
    I wonder if *anyone* is playing the latest non-steam PA on mac with mods. My guess is no, please correct me if you do :).

Attached is my strace output of running PA (the command on mac I used is:
    Code:
    sudo dtruss -a ./PA 2> out.txt
    ).

PA is looking for the mods in 'Resources/user/mods' !!!
    I moved them there and then PA started seeing them (result was no longer -1 but 0) but the result is still the same: 'Loaded 0 mods'. Of course now the paths in the ui_mod_list.js file should be '../../../mods' (I put a symbolic link to user/mods) - changing this did not help. Only thing left I can think of are the .ini files: I changed the location there too, but did not yet touch the 'Folders' property because I have no idea what to fill in there and I'm not even sure it's used by PA.

Any further insights appreciated, and would be very interested in success stories of mac users

Attached Files:

• out.txt
      File size:
      996.8 KB
      Views:
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

loaded 0 files in the mod manager? Can you install mods by hand when you place them in that directory?
  8. DeathByDenim

Could you try the new parameter "--modpath" when running pamm_mac? You can point it to the mod-directory and then it should work.
  9. mrosseel

mrosseel New Member

Success!

Just put all the mods in PA.app/Contents/Resources/ui/mods and pointed pamm_mac there ( ./pamm_mac --modpath ~/Desktop/PA.app/Contents/Resources/ui/mods)

The only difference with my other experiments (as far as I can remember) is me removing the ui_mod_list.js and letting pamm recreate it from scratch. The user/mods path is still in the trace but is apparently not important.

Thanks cola_colin and DeathByDenim!
  10. DeathByDenim

New update available for the mod manager for Linux and Mac! Once again it reaches feature parity with raevn's modmanager. There are two additional features though. It will now auto-detect where you have installed PA and rather than just showing the list of available mods and telling you if you have it installed or not, it will also tell you if a newer version is available.

The auto-detection part only works if you have started PA at least once, of which there is probably a chance of 99.9999%. :)
  11. raptix

raptix New Member

Nice work! Feels like Mod-Manager in SupCom. Thank you for supporting Linux.
  12. DeathByDenim

Sure. I'm lagging behind though. Raevn is already at 1.8 with the Windows-only mod manager. :)
    The good news is that I'm very close. I only need to get the sorting/filtering to work.
    Raevn and raptix like this.
  13. raptix

raptix New Member

I'm sure you will do it. Until now, in the young history of PA, your MM is my first tool. I like it, Thanks.
  14. DeathByDenim

New version released. Full compatibility with raevn's version 1.8. There is an additional library dependency on libzip now though. I'm not entirely sure if Mac's come with that. I had to install the development libraries to compile it.
    Raevn likes this.
  15. gillza

gillza Member

I assume this will not work with new PA build?
  16. DeathByDenim

Nope, it still works. The new PA build just introduces a new mod system in addition to the old one. The old one still works fine. A few mods broke after the last build, but those have been fixed as well. Just hit refresh in the available mods tabs and you'll see a few updates for some mods.
  17. gillza

gillza Member

Thank you. Will try it out this weekend. want to use Hotbuild2 mod..
  18. DeathByDenim

Minor fix released to fix the ordering of the mods. This caused the Commander Health mod to fail for example.
  19. gillza

gillza Member

I have install the mod manager. Tried installing hotbuild 2 mode (needs settings manager and floating framework). This is what I see when I go to settings in the game:

Screenshot from 2013-12-14 01:36:54.png

P.S. Ok so I moved the folder with PA files one level up and made a shortcut to launch pamm_linux with modpath parameter. After that everything worked somehow...
    Last edited: December 14, 2013
  20. DeathByDenim

Well, that's weird. I should auto-detect based on where PA is installed. It detects this based on the logfiles that PA generates. It does output where it expects everything to be when you start pamm from the console. Do you use Mac or Linux?