Dear Uber, please use community made maps for 1v1 ranked games

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by judicatorofgenocide, November 5, 2014.

1. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

Pls uber pls PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEEAAASSSSE

add some maps

Ppplllllleeeaaasssseee

*On knees begging*

*Weeping*

*Pulling hair out*

*Banging head on wall*

.......clicking find match again
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yey another topic on this.

We need better maps, even if Uber is in the process of setting up their own maps within a week for that time alone it would be worth it to put in existing maps used by the community to fill the gap and collect "You've used community content" points for Uber.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Can I make a similar thread about balance AND maps and not get downvoted into oblivion? I like this thread.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Sure you can! The forum has no downvote system. ;)
    mered4 and websterx01 like this.
  5. cola_colin

If you combine a lot of things into a single request you generally will find less supporters.
    mered4 likes this.
  6. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I am sure Uber are working very hard right now on a) the system designer and b) new maps. I believe we have been teased with symmetrical maps as well, so no doubt they are coming too. Fantastic :) Can't wait!

But in the meantime, 1v1 ranked games only have two maps. This alone would be an issue in terms of boredom, but it is made even worse by those two maps not being particularly balanced. Particularly on the 'Duellist' system, one spawn has six mex practically in the spawn area, and the others only have two in close proximity, with the nearest cluster of mex a fair walk away.

So my request is simply this - please add the community made 1v1 ranked maps to the official map pool. If only temporarily, until Uber release their official maps (which I'm sure will be great!). Prior to the last update, PA Stats had a map pool which was pretty damn great :)

And if nothing else - please just tell me why?! Why only two maps? Perhaps Uber have a good reason that I am unaware of. But as far as I am aware, the creators of these maps (who have put so much time into making them as balanced as possible), will have no problem whatsoever with their maps being used by Uber. I'm sure they would in fact, rejoice!

Lastly, I'm going to page @jables and @BradNicholson to this thread. I hope you don't mind. I just really want an official response on this matter, and I really really want to play ranked 1v1 games, which are a core part of the game for me, on some new, balanced maps, and the maps I've been playing on via PA Stats' match-making.
    cola_colin likes this.
  7. squishypon3

Considering they'll use symmetrical maps eventually it might not be as important to use player made maps, hopefully.

Also... Brad was actually laid off.. :(
  8. cola_colin

see https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pa-stats-1v1-ladder-map-pool.64263/ for maps

definition of the maps in json, it uses a slightly different format compared to /server-script/lobby/ladder_systems_table.js: https://github.com/pamods/uimod-pa_...a_stats/scenes/ranked_matcher/maps/mappool.js
    The difference is that position and velocity are not arrays. I think in the new_game.js code there is a converter method, or it isn't actually required to be converted, so the format I had was the format that server needed, as these format shinanigans are issues inside PA by default. Either way it's simple to convert with existing code from PA.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  9. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Thanks. Been meaning to import the maps for a while now!
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

mered4 likes this.
  11. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

That's so far away. QQ
  12. netnazgul

netnazgul New Member

I think manual placing of start points and mex-points (and terrain features, and terrain itself, and ...) would fix lots of competitive maps issues, but probably that can't be done with the current engine if it hasn't been yet.

...but after reading about recent uber work, I see it's just they haven't made proper SystemEditor yet, so yeah
    Last edited: November 6, 2014
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I would upvote you brah.

I would spam it myself, make 3 threads just under my own name, probably name them exactly the same, for maximum visibility to Uber devs. Lest they moderate, delete, and ban me, they would likely read at least 1 of the threads as they are deleting the duplicates... So it is effectively a win and I will have gotten my point across.

I hate twitch mentality, but maybe we should do that for now on. When the community agrees that something is needed 100% unanimous agreement and approval and desire for devs to listen to us, we should all each make 1 thread a piece with the exact same title and request. The front page being filled with it, should get somebody's attention to read and serverely consider it. Then again, it may just be seen as "loud minority" *shrug*.

#usecurrentpastats1v1maps #useuberbalancemodtorebalancegame #balancenaval #morehooksformoreunits #moredevtoolsforcommunitymods @scathis @neutrino @bgolus @jables
  14. squishypon3

Actually a map editor is in the works by Uber. :p
    Murcanic and thetrophysystem like this.