Custom Planets/Map Editor/symmetry! <3

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, October 16, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You missunderstood we can place custom mex not even freely if we edit jsons on mass. We can only place them in a not really that awesome way by adding waaay tooo maaaany and then removing most of them by adding a ton of brushes. That has many issues.
    The idea of "have a map editor edit the jsons" is btw exactly what the map editor does for the brushes.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Well, that would explain why no one has tried that i guess :D

Ugghhhh... uber pls allow us to have completely custom metal. The new system editor is good for FFA and teams games but not for competitive 1v1.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

But I have. This screen shows quite well that we can in fact place mex just everywhere and then remove them by putting other brushes on them. But even just this small part already had so many brushes in one place that the texturing system is having issues when I move the camera.
    [​IMG]
    I am quite certain that by using the "metal in rings" method with a somewhat more sparse ring config it is possible to make perfectly balanced maps. It's just unreasonable amount of work for something that should be much simpler and it does limit the possibilites we have as well.
    If Uber added the position attribute to features adding mex would be a very trivial thing, I could add it to the map editor within less than an hour and mex could be placed just by clicking where they are needed.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

So to wrap this up; it's not practical (a waste of time) to do this because of too much work since Uber has to add an attribute to features?

Sorry, I'm not very experienced with the deeper aspects of PA's structure. :oops:
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Maybe you should make a custom brush, a very flat one. Maybe a very slight hill shaped thing to cover metal spots. Or possible a much larger, still very flat one to take out the majority, then smaller ones to remove the stragglers?
  6. squishypon3

@cola_colin Something like this. (The little bump in the center, the rest is for reference.)

Screenshot from 2014-10-15 23:11:59.png Screenshot from 2014-10-15 23:12:12.png
  7. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

elodea and squishypon3 like this.
  8. squishypon3

What about Pride Rock from the Lion King? ;)
    websterx01 likes this.
  9. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

Amazing, when can place mex, this is gonna be sweet! Good work. The mod community never ceases to amaze me.

Knowing nothing of cpu programming on the sideline it looks like the modders do more for the game than uber does.

Not saying that's the case just appears that way.

Maybe you guys should apply lol.

They should give you equipment and let you work from home.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yes, because modding is very comparable to building a professional software product.

Ow no, it's quite clear that you know nothing of "cpu programming" or whatever that is supposed to mean.
  11. squishypon3

I'm guessing he meant computer by that, and I'm sure he meant it in a light hearted way :p

Source: I know him. :D
    igncom1 likes this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

13. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

14. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Just found The Cult's next Clan Wars system, thanks.
  15. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Also starting locations. That would be even more useful for team games. Imagine a east vs west (depending on where you look at because you know, planets.)
  16. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Now THAT is what you call a metal planet :eek:
    icycalm and squishypon3 like this.
  17. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Agreed. But it should be Uber task not modding. Also planets need much more work, they like after first pass since alpha.
  18. squishypon3

Not really, Uber never said they'd be committed to making a full blow editor. :p
  19. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Does not matter what they said, PA really needs map editor, and only uber has source, so for now only they can do real editor. Everything else will be just hax.
  20. squishypon3

Well why should they be obligated to make a map editor then? That's what I'm asking. :p

One of the main things about the game was supposed to be it's random generation, we knew from the get go there probably wouldn't be an editor, especially not one by Uber.