Current work update - 11/5/14

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 6, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Hey all,

Time for another near term roadmap update. The following are items we are currently working on for the Competitive 1v1 update for end of November. This is only talking about the November deliverables, not longer term work. Below the image I have called out each item in a bit more detail. Feel free to ask questions!

[​IMG]

and in more detail…
    • Leaderboards in place filtered by rank
    • Adding ranked icons to all lobbies to better show off your Uber (or my bronze)
    • New maps for the 1v1 ranked map pool. Goal is to have 3 new ones, but we will see if we get them all polished to a point we are happy by the go live date. (will be seeing them in random streamed playtests most likely)
    • @sorian is looking at possible performance improvements on the AI side of things (as well as some AI improvements in general since I finally won a game against it and now he’s mad)
    • Balance work continues. We will be releasing smaller changes this round so as not to overnerf things, and make more frequent changes to move us where we may need to be (based on feedback we have gotten on the forums of us waiting too long before getting it to players)
    • New System Editor features in place including moving, deleting, copy/pasting, rotating, scaling of CSGs and more.
    • We’ll have the ability to create symmetrical planets now.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Ssssymmetrical mapssss.. <3
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

The likes....shall COME TO THEE OH JABLES OF AWESOME COMMUNICATIONS!
  4. jables

jables Uber Employee

I said I'd try to get this sort of thing out every two weeks or so. I try not to promise things unless I can live up :)
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The new system editor features make me grin like a madman, can't wait to play on good maps.

There is however something that worries me, you say you plan to add 3 new maps to the mappool if you are happy by the live date. There are multiple things wrong with this:

- the live date is end of november?! (imagine a terrified scream right here. We need a fix by yesterday for this, it isn't magic, maps exist)
    - you write add maps, you don't write remove maps. The current 2 maps are mediocre at best. Remove them

Seriously I am annoyed by this. Getting the maps right is annoying if you actually have to make them, but the current situation could be greatly simplified by copying in existing and proven maps until you have better ones. Don't make mistakes that are THAT cheap to correct.

/rant
    nhac, stuart98, xankar and 13 others like this.
  6. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

You wonderful, wonderful people but PLEASE! More detail on balance changes!!!
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Dang, Cola getting serious!

No, but I agree. I'd like to see you guys use the PA stats ladder pool, don't worry we won't think you guys are lazy or anything, if anything we'd think higher of you for listening. :D
    xankar likes this.
  8. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I honestly just hope that balance goes back to being a liiiitle slower.
  9. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

please remove those 2 **** maps from the map pool. the community did some work at making some balanced maps with existing tools and they are all a lot better than those. have a chat with the exodus people if you need to find them.... seriously!
    stuart98, xankar, K1S3L and 1 other person like this.
  10. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update @jables, it is much appreciated! That all sounds fantastic :)

I've just created a new thread (https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...mmunity-made-maps-for-1v1-ranked-games.65809/) asking about the possibility of adding some community made maps to the current 1v1 ranked pool. Any chance of an official response about that? I think a lot of us here would love the extra variety. A lot of work went into making those planets and balancing the spawns, it seems odd not to use them.
    elodea likes this.
  11. felipec

felipec Active Member

LoL

Btw Great stuff! =D
    pieman2906 likes this.
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Honestly the only thing I look for in a 1v1 map is symmetrical metal. As long as it has that, I don't care about the terrain.
    Planktum likes this.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Me too.

*Uber listens*

*20 minute t2 superweapon orbital games become mandatory again*

FUUUUU! In moderation guys! Seriously!
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. duncane

duncane Active Member

So no balance changes or new maps until the end of November???
  15. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

well, @jables did say that they were doing small increments in balance this time, I just hope its in the right direction...
  16. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Would it be possible to get a long term roadmap?
    Things like naval balance, unit cannon, etc.
    No dates are needed. It would just be nice to know if certain things are still in the long term plan or if they have been scratched, then a simple explanation as to why, i.e. the unit cannon - it just isn't viable, would break balance too much, didn't work within the confines of what our game engine can do.

I think the positive atmosphere in the forums which we have now (as apposed to before @jables joined the Uber team), should make you more comfortable giving us these long term roadmaps. I think we can handle bad news as long as it is communicated properly with proper explanations for why decisions have been made.
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Why is this only been posted on the forum? Why not steam announcements, PA blog, KS update, etc. What about the incomplete or nonexistent kickstarter features? For example: Galactic War, Naval, multi-monitor support, list goes on. Quite frankly the most important stuff are the KS commitments.:mad:

Sorry about that but honestly what about the KS stretch goals, etc. I just had to get it off my chest.:oops:
    Last edited: November 6, 2014
    ace63, Planktum and GoodOak like this.
  18. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

All the things on this november roadmap elicited this response:

Agree those maps need replacing sooner than the end of november though...
  19. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

• "New System Editor features in place including moving, deleting, copy/pasting, rotating, scaling of CSGs and more."
    anyone else really looking forward to what can be done with this? :D
  20. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Loving these updates

I really hope the two maps we have currently get reworked or removed however.
    stuart98, moldez and zihuatanejo like this.