Crazy Idea Needs Support!

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by gardian20, April 10, 2015.

1. gardian20

gardian20 New Member

Yet another.... COMPLETE RE BALANCING MOD! Except this one's different, because we're taking the units stats...

DIRECTLY FROM ORIGINAL TA!

You heard me right! Ever miss the stumpy? Want your fleet of gunships back? Well this can be reality on a planetary scale. I'm going to do a bit of digging, but I think I should be able to turn up some unit models that we can import, and even associate different commanders with the ARM and the CORE. By extracting unit stats from the unit viewer, we can create a perfect clone of the TA experience.

I'm looking for some people that would be interested in collaborating to make this a reality. Reply or PM me if you're interested.
    warrenkc and cdrkf like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@raevn was working on importing the TA units into the PA engine, although the issue is down to the animations (essentially all animations will need to be done again from scratch to work in PA).

That said as a starting point creating a balance mod using the current PA unit set, but using the TA stats could work nicely (I think we have most of the required weapon and chassis types, barring a few exceptions at least)....

I'm not really the best one to help with this, although I think @squishypon3, @killerkiwijuice and @stuart98 might be worth talking to about this.

One thing that *might* be a pain is TA's eco system- you can probably treat the power generators as solar collectors, however at present I don't think the engine has support for things like Geothermal plants or wind farms.
    warrenkc likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Get a time machine for raevn so he can finish this stuff.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-total-automated-annihilation.48319/

The engine actually mostly supports concepts like "geothermal plant", because a geothermal plant basically is just a building you can only build on a specific location. Just like a mex. The only missing bit is the ability to directly place features (mex are features, but mex are handled in a special way sadly)
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  4. nateious

nateious Active Member

I was tossing this idea around with a friend of mine, but we were thinking about starting with uberhack balance (and tweak as needed.)
  5. gardian20

gardian20 New Member

I didn't known about @raevn 's project. I'll ask him if I can do anything to help.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Taking stats directly from TA is impossible as in PA build time, power cost, and metal cost are hinged together, which was not the case in TA.
    ace63, Nicb1 and elodea like this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Unit health, weapon stats, speeds and turn rates should all be possible though, so units could in theory function like they did in ta...?
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I tried a long while back.. But was stuck with what Stuart is talking about.

Anyway it's a bit difficult to get TA unit stats because the stags are written in really odd ways and need to be converted to m/s as well as m/s/s, but I have never been able to find a conversion rate that feels right. I always end up just doing many of the stats by doing Raevn's conversion and then tweaking some things.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Necro, but if you do this

Don't copy stats. TA had lots of OP and UP units. Take the general idea and modify accordingly.

Base stats from TA by Poohsticks.

Do something along these lines:

Stumpies' range = 100 in PA
    Stumpies' speed = 14 in PA

Use build time divided by factory build power to figure out metal cost rather than TA metal cost.

This is what I do when making TA inspired units in GA.