Could we get an official statement from Jables on why the discount is time limited?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by stuart98, August 19, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I know that it has something to do with steam advising it because discounts stack or some such thing, but I'd like something more clear to paste everywhere to answer that question when it comes up.
    bengeocth and Remy561 like this.
  2. jables

jables Uber Employee

Sure.

Steam handles discounts oddly. Discounts are stacked. Example:

Existing PA owners get 66% off. If we did a 35% off sale they get 66% + 35% = 101% off.

This, contrary to what you think, would make game unable to be purchased. Period.

To get around that, Steam recommends any discount at all is timed.
    mered4, pizwitch, temeter and 15 others like this.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Never do a sale again. Problem solved :p.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Is it possible to keep redoing the sale?
    tatsujb likes this.
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

why don't they just make the stacking multiplicative?
  6. jables

jables Uber Employee

Good question that I can't answer :(
    tatsujb, radongog and stuart98 like this.
  7. Pandaram

Pandaram New Member

Do what Dark Souls 2 did. Offer an upgrade option for 13 dollars. Problem solved. It is a thing that steam can do, go check out the page.
  8. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Couldn't you have sent out one of those coupon things to owners of PA that don't have a limited amount of time to be used?
    They can't be used during sales so the stacking thing wouldn't be an issue. Or are unlimited coupons not a thing Valve allows?
  9. jables

jables Uber Employee

Coupons tend to be forgotten or overlooked. We wanted the store to just show it at 66% off when you looked.
    radongog, stuart98 and tehtrekd like this.
  10. whiskeyninja

whiskeyninja Member

11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

[redacted]
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think you read too quickly, the question was about why the game doesnt offer an unlimited upgrade option, like all sorts of expansion packs did in the past to all sorts of games.
    Nothing about demanding stuff for free.
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Sorry, long day. I take that back.

I find the idea of a lifetime discount odd, but mainly because I'd imagine Uber want people moving to TITANS, instead of holding onto a theoretical $13 purchase.

If it was 66% off of $100 or so? Sure. But we're talking a burger and chips here. A burger and chips that requires a sports car to enjoy. Terrible analogies aside, PA's recommended specs is a high-end gaming machine. Assuming PA is already owned, the buy-in for TITANS is a pittance.
  14. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

Another reason to not have the current discount for vanilla PA owners active permanently is that the Steam forums would eventually have multiple threads of...

"Looking for a PA owner to buy me a copy of PA:Titans for the discount. Will trade!".
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. cola_colin

Well I am talking about the lifetime option to buy an upgrade to their PA license to include titans once. Ofc not a right to unlimited reduced copies. It's an expansion pack after all. Expansion packs usually are cheaper if you already have the base game.
  16. Matster

Matster Active Member

Couldn't the discount be done through the Armory store inside PA without any steam affiliation? This would definitely remove the steam time constraints. I know the discount is active there at the moment. But does it need to expire?
    maskedcrash likes this.
  17. whiskeyninja

whiskeyninja Member

I think that breaks Steam compliance somehow. )"
  18. aidanofvt

aidanofvt New Member

Many, many games sell expansions. They could simply sell PA for $27, and the Titans expansion for $13.

No sale-math necessary.
  19. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Uber always come up with some lame excuse for the reason they do something; always trying to hide the real reason behind their decisions. And once again you have hit the nail on the head and called them out. For example Uber's responses to the many forum posts about better terrain and unit wreckage reclaim. It was removed from PA and suprise surprise it's now in the "expansion".

They couldn't "simply sell PA for $27, and the Titans expansion for $13." because....
    PA is not the game they want to promote and it already had many bad reviews on Steam. Uber wish to distance themselves from the original PA as much as possible. That's the real reason they decided to take the standalone expansion route. They also know that PA is not the complete package, they don't want people buying PA, they want everyone to buy Titans, that's why they removed PA from Steam altogether.
    elkanfirst, deathcoy and maskedcrash like this.
  20. cola_colin

Uber wishes to distance themselves from year old reviews that state the game doesn't have even have save/load.
    Understandable after it was patched in. And ofc everyone new should buy titans. If you're totally new to PA as a whole then titans at ~37€ is a pretty good deal and offering only the base game would just create confusion and really split the community.
    tatsujb, MrTBSC, pizwitch and 2 others like this.