Could Uber please start renting us servers directly?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, September 1, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well if your server is officially hosted by Brian it shows that you just pay Brian to provide you a default system that would be pretty trustworthy I think.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  2. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

You do realize pretty much any large server based game have 3rd party dedicated servers and PEOPLE AREN'T SCARED OF THEM. There's no reason to think your 3rd party server would be ignored compared to Ubers. Look at any game by Valve where 3rd party servers dominate the server list.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Personally I think Uber have direct interest in providing servers to play large games with many "alive" players. At moment there is no games around that might provide experience of 40+ players MP in manner as PA did. So I think it's good idea to promote the game.

In same time if someone want to play game with 38 AIs they likely will have to pay for such server on their own. :)
  4. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

No, I didn't realize this :) I don't play versus games online. Last one I played for reals was Red Alert 2 lol. PA is what made me enter this part of gaming culture. All other previous vs. online games were too simplistic to hold my interest for long enough to want to enter the online scene for reals.
    optimi likes this.
  5. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Ohhh that makes a lot of sense lol.
  6. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

What kind of spec's would the server need?
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I may be able to work out some sort of anti-cheating guarantee.

We don't really know exactly. Uber hasn't listed the specifics yet.
    icycalm likes this.
  8. yakcyll

yakcyll Member

Pretty sure the curves (http://forrestthewoods.com/the-tech-of-planetary-annihilation-chronocam/) forbid many a kind of shenanigans from client's side (similar techniques are being used by DotA2 and they're working fairly well from what I last saw of cheats being developed for it). Not so sure about the efficiency of in-flight per-packet intervention, but I haven't looked into their tech yet.

Besides, all this cheating we are talking about is purely a hypothesis right now. Sure, it will happen, but you don't even know to what extent yet and treating it as a plague already isn't exactly the priority.

As for the Uber servers, they don't have the infrastructure to rent servers at the moment. Might want to remember that we're still prior to release and their current fleet is (seems to be?, Looks more like a bug to me) already overloaded. I doubt server rental is on their to-do list too, they are a game dev after all and they stated they wanted to allow the game to be played offline, which implies the release of server binaries (in one way or the other, pretty sure they won't dismiss the need for dedicated servers).
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow. legit impressed if this comes true.
    igncom1 likes this.
  10. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Will you be abel to play the game on the same computer the server runs on?
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They're currently running eight servers on an octocore CPU (one server per CPU) with one player per thread I believe. The machine has 16GB of RAM. This should mean running just one server on a duel core, or quad core, should be incredibly easy.
  12. squishypon3

You should, just like any game. You'll basically just be connecting to your own server, if you've ever set up your own simple minecraft server than you know what I'm talking about. (You'll also be able to play on your own server offline because you're hosting it via the same computer)
    FSN1977 likes this.
  13. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

You mean they run 8 games on a server with an octocore right? So on thread per game.
  14. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

It's basically a requirement for LAN-games anyway.

That's cores. Threads on the other hand are parallel processes running on a single core.
  15. squishypon3

No it's one game per core, and it maaay be one player per thread. I've heard that before, but it could be wrong.
  16. yakcyll

yakcyll Member

Since the sim runs at 10 ticks per second, you don't need five, ten threads running at the same time, so it's entirely possible they are running on a server instance per core basis.
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't come true because if our servers won't be integrated into global UberNet (ok, PlayFab now), then we'll just create our own master server. So I can't see any reason why would Uber want to limit it.

Also in one of posts @neutrino mentioned that one of things they have to do before servers release it's change their infrastructure to support user-hosted servers.

Why no? Basically there is tons of games that do same thing. Though I guess it's will require a bit more RAM than usual playing.
  18. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

That depends on how easy it is to find the 3rd party servers over the normal ones. For instance on CSGO official servers are the dominate ones because they're the ones you go on by just pressing the matchmaking button.