Confirmed Features List 2.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by KNight, March 27, 2013.

1. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

2. eagleeye93

eagleeye93 New Member

I`d like to suggest strategical markers which show the range of for example a point def or an anti air def. Like in Supcom. :D

Attached Files:

3. RCIX

RCIX Member

I love those. My understanding is they were very expensive to render, but if they can be done performantly...
  4. sofakriger

sofakriger New Member

Features I hope not to see:
    1. Rush timer
    2. Exclusions of units or unit types (pr game basis)
    3. Adjustable speed

I find it more enjoyable and predictable when the rules are set, and everything is available as designed - mods can take care of all the crazy variations.

I've had my fair share of No nuke / no rush / no LVL 3 bombers etc. In my opinion it ruins the game.

Just my two cents :)
  5. crseth

crseth Member

6. shandlar

shandlar Member

The whole point of having a game so moddable is so that everyone, regardless of play style, can enjoy the game.

Having adjustable unit pools and no-rush timers at launch that are 100% optional doesn't hurt anyone, it only helps. If you want to only ever play vanilla without any modifications, then don't use any modifications. The existence of 'no nuke' or '5 minute no rush' toggles will have no effect on you, but may be very important to someone else's desired play.
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

This is not an opinion thread. We all need to keep our personal preferences out.
  8. Dazzlington

Dazzlington New Member

Nice post Mike, yunomodyet
  9. therishka

therishka New Member

No shields and no campaign?(( I thought there will me epic-campaign with plot-twists! Or will it be in Galactic War? It seems like the game will be actually multiplayer aimed?
  10. Moranic

Moranic Member

Under what rock have you been living? Btw, there is a huge shields: yes/no war going on in the backer forums. Just so you know. Looking at how it is now, Uber should make shields but make them optional. That way most people would be pleased.
  11. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Again with this fallacy?
  12. therishka

therishka New Member

Well...i've got only 4 posts so it's kinda obvious that i've just registered=) And i can't read all the discussions in the forum (a lot of text). Thx for explanations. But i still wondering about campaign(

OFFTOP: another "under rock" question. Will there be somekind of races u can choose from?
  13. nanolathe

Nope, No "Races", Same Units, Only Different Commanders.
  14. Moranic

Moranic Member

Mike, you've got to change the state of the shields. Currently it's [WILL NOT BE PRESENT] although the sources indicate that it might be there, but not in the way it was present in supcom. Neutrino said he likes the idea of shields but they need a good spin on it, because the supcom version wasn't the best.
  15. Moranic

Moranic Member

I think you are just saying this because you personally don't like shields but as a matter of fact many people do. Neutrino said they might do shields but with a spin, so not like supcom. And making it an option won't force you to deal with them, you can just turn them off beforehand.
  16. BulletMagnet

No, nano is right.

If they're included, then someone has to spend time creating a balance for them. I am going to call "the set of costs, rates, and sizes for all units and structures present in game" a balance. I'll point out, that a balance doesn't necessarily have to be very good - it just exists in whatever state it was left in.

If they've been balanced, then not using them will have an effect on gameplay. In effect, you'll be creating two balances; one with shields, and one without.

What happens when shields are too strong against artillery, but perfectly fine against tanks? You could nerf shields, but that would make tanks too strong.

• So you buff artillery, that's what you do.

But you've just buffed artillery!

In a game that doesn't have anything to defend against them!

Oh yes, when you make changes in one balance, you make changes in all others. If we assume that the official ranked balance is as what neutrino wants and does not have shields, then everyone will just rush and spam artillery and gameplay will devolve into just doing the one thing fastest.

IF you were going to put shields in, then you can't properly consider them for balance at all. At best, you're only going to be able to give them some values and let everything grow organically.

Even then, that's still money being spend on modelling and texturing them. And then on code to make them work. Seems like a dumb idea, for a structure that is only going to be in a subset of the games... that don't have fair and proper balance.
    cat1974 likes this.
  17. zanzax

zanzax New Member

So on this page we can just make gameplay suggestions of all sorts or am I wrong? :) If so, here are some I would like to see;

[SUGGESTION] Superweapons like in C&C 3 see

Imagine asteroid rain, temporary black holes, orbital attack beams all with a cooldown timer :) sounds pretty cool to me

[SUGGESTION] Unit tracking, pretty basic you just press a button and the camera locks on to the unit/squad

[SUGGESTION] Hero system like in lotrbfme2. This way you can create custom mechs and give them some powers/weapons. some sort of customizable Support commanders like in supreme commander?

[SUGGESTION] Necro bots ? :) They repair destroyed robots and bring them back to life
  18. Sconc

Sconc New Member

Didn't the rotation of buildings get shown in the latest stream? If so it's not a suggestion anymore? :)
  19. BulletMagnet

Good point! I remember seeing that too.
  20. nanolathe

Irrelevant. BulletMagnet's said most of what I'd say, but I might as well add my voice too;

If they exist they must be balanced for. They CHANGE the focus of the game... they Change the way that other units are balanced against them.

Shields are not a 'modular' attachment to the game. If included they are an intrinsic part of the game and have an impact on it beyond their simple presence or non-presence.

Every unit is interconnected and to think removing one will not have knock-on effects is simply short sighted.

It's like taking your hand and removing a finger... Your hand has evolved to functionally rely on that finger... Just "removing" it doesn't mean the rest of the hand continues to function at 100% efficiency. Your hand is worse than it was before, you have lost a finger. If your hand were designed with only 4 fingers then it would be functionally superior to a 5 fingered hand that has a digit missing.

If you have a game that is designed with a series of different units then you must account for EVERY units inclusion. Taking out one of those units disrupts the game because now you have rules that relate to that unit that no longer apply.
    Every Unit is interconnected on each other to form a cohesive and balanced game.
    Start taking out units willy-nilly and you upset the goal, the focus and the balance of the game.
    cat1974 likes this.