Confirmed Features List 2.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by KNight, March 27, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We already know there will be a selection of commanders available in addition to all the Special Backer and Custom ones and the Concepts themselves aren't indicative of anything new really on thier own.

Mike
  2. felipec

felipec Active Member

Nice!

[WILL NOT BE PRESENT] Water and lava fluid simulation (allowing for tsunamis, etc):

Water and lava fluid will not be present, but tsunamis (tidal waves) will probably be present viewtopic.php?f=61&t=44890
  3. syox

syox Member

+1
    [Confirmed] Mystery Box (Livestream will look for it later)
  4. simonhawk

simonhawk New Member

This should be removed, or at least changed IMO. We know that there will be no regular campaign (Taking the Galactic War as a improved skirmish system), right? Then why should there be a CO-OP campaign? What am I misunderstanding here?

PS: Big time kudos to ya' knight, you seem to have put a lot of work into this :D
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

As I said in the OP, this is still mostly a rehash of the original list, there's still lots to do to clean up this list and lots more to add.

Mike
  6. syox

syox Member

7. dude86

dude86 Member

+1 knight this list provides better overview

maybe this is concerning co-op galactic warfare then?
  8. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I thought the colours were more readable.
  9. thapear

thapear Member

Yeah.
    You could also half do it, making the [CONFIRMED] green etc.

Anyway, it's good that someone takes over the list. Good work Mike.
  10. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

May i suggest changing "[WILL NOT BE PRESENT] Multiple factions" into "[WILL NOT BE PRESENT] Multiple unit-pools (Or tech-factions)"?

Just to avoid confusion if people wish to discuss real factions.

And possibly "[WILL NOT BE PRESENT] Space Combat" into "[WILL NOT BE PRESENT] Real 3D Space Combat (Or Homeworld style Space Combat)" since theres still a possibility for orbital layer space combat or other kinds of limited space combat.
  11. RCIX

RCIX Member

Please do add lore-factions as confirmed: 1
  12. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Remove oculus rift support as a {stretch goal maybe] most absurd thing I've seen on the forums to-date... (not a challenge folks)

FPS, specialized simulators, RPG and MMORPG are the only video game types that would truly make sense to justify spending development funds (or modding time) on oculus rift support.
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Nope, but it IS a very subjective opinion. :) Please make recommendations, not assertions when stating opinions.
  14. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

Thank you for not using colors. As a colorblind person this list is way easier to read for me.
  15. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

My bad, came off worse then I intended. Considering the development phase of that project, (they shipped prototypes out to game developers not to long ago.), the fact it is still being developed and its limited application for RTS games, I believe its topic category should be changed to [Community Goal]..
    Did Uber Entertainment receive one of the prototypes?
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Nope, though we have a few people in the office I believe who are getting them for personal use. I think it'll be a while before we see anything games that really blow the doors off with what the Rift can do, but I think it's got potential as a technology.

It'll be cool to see what it's capable of though once people can really play around with it.
  17. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Elder Scrolls IV : The Oculus Rift...
  18. Malkara

Malkara New Member

Rift: The Oculus Rift.
  19. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Oculus Rift would be pretty cool with map scrolling, could become something that becomes second-nature quite quickly. However, without zoom controls, it kinda won't be that great.
  20. stephen10188

stephen10188 New Member

I'm fairly new here having only recently discovered this project, It's very exciting least of all because of the issues with getting TA to work on Windows 7/8. And i was totally blown away with the expansive nature of the battles, some things i would never have considered, yet at the same time all 6 of the features confirmed as [WILL NOT BE PRESENT] in post 1 rank as more useful/important in my mind than some of the amazing yet almost unbelievable things that are to be included. Skip to the next dbl space if you’re not interested in my pleadings/justifications.

Research tree/tech tree, ok I get this on 1 level, with no SMP campaign all players must start on a level footing in a skirmish, yet with the breath of environments pitched it seems amazing that no level of adaptations/augmentations will be included even if just on a utility level, as this was even in TA's plot (Spider/Hover) and they faced much tougher system/software limitations.
    Shields: The Scale of SC meant effective control limited game play to red dots v Blue so I always preferred TA but I can say without a doubt Shields and the resulting protracted sieges were by far the best addition. They can seem OP but if the energy cost is right and the range/number available limited then they can be a great feature (as was the case in SC).
    Space combat: This just seems odd; a galaxy wide war where fisticuffs are solely limited to planet surfaces seems so implausible. I’m guessing the issue here is mapping combat in 3D, I don’t know enough about the software writing to offer any practical solutions but given the fact that we can use asteroids as weapons, an interstellar battle is a MUST.
    Multiple Unit Pools: Ok I don’t know exactly what this refers to so lets talk about commander upgrades, similar to the tech tree issue, I get that a faster, stronger, better builders would create an unfair imbalance, but some level of adaptation to the environment via utility augmentation would be great, and add another layer of strategy especially if you have to choose only 1 or 2 augmentations from a selection (things like teleports/cloaks/personal shields/re-generative capabilities) again this is something SC got spot on.
    Unit Veterancy: A lot has been made of the importance in RTS of strategic choice based on the Expensive & Strong vs the Cheap and numerous, decision making process. This is where Stracraft revolutionised the genre. To remove the primary incentive (veterancy) to withdraw and repair seasoned troops rather than just building new ones removes a sizable element of the ability to tailor strategies.

Basically to use Minecraft as an example, FTB is so popular (essentially THE mod) because it adds what people want and indeed believe should have been included from day 1, without breaking the mechanics and making one element comparatively OP. People will be seeking to add the above via modding ASAP if not included, maybe that’s great as it saves you guys some work but it does give a sense of 'close but no cigar' which would personally bother me as I seek to make everything as close to perfect as possible, but maybe im just too much of a perfectionist lol.