Commander uber cannon - How you fire?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by battletech, July 18, 2013.

1. battletech

battletech Member

Simple thing, but have not found anyway to use the commanders uber cannon. If I select the commander and right click on an enemy unit it stops firing completely. I get the same thing if I aim at the ground or a structure.
  2. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Sounds like you're not in range. The range of the uber gun is pretty short.
  3. battletech

battletech Member

I know I'm in range as I get Ubered. That just sounds wrong

What's next: "Got Uber" t- shirts :)
  4. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

More like "your ubered!" with picture of your favorite commander pointing the uber gun at you
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You have to be really close and it does have a long reload time. I have found however sometimes it just doesn't seem to fire, usually I give a move command and then try again and it works.
  6. mausergdog

mausergdog New Member

Is the command still the "D" key ala TA? Ahhh such fond memories of having my Com swarmed by flash tanks only to mow his way out with D-Cannon fire, scorching the earth in the process....
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

It is not, currently.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Necro/gravedig, but the command is executed by double clicking on the target unit or what? Haven't figured it out yet and I have no intention of losing more commanders due to this.
  9. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

As far as I've seen it just happens on it's own, but you have to be close.
  10. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

The uber canon needs to be more like the dgun such that it scorches the earth in a line killing anything in its path...uber gun is more like overcharge which was not as good as D-Gun since it could only kill one unit at a time.. Considering commanders will only have a few abilities they should all come equipped with a D-gun style weapon
  11. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

And we most definitively need more control over it, the current mechanic is just weird.
    iron420, spazzdla and beer4blood like this.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Just messed around with it, it's... quite odd how it's implemented. Commanders should be the one unit you have to micro, automating them is not good.
  13. ghotifish

ghotifish New Member

overcharge can kill multiple units, it has a splash. It's also the most powerful projectile in the game. Take from that what you will.

I don't like the uber cannon as it stands, I can't pop it off when I need it most. I don't know what regulates it, it's a pretty important resource.
  14. zaphodx

Just to state it explicitly in case you haven't got it:
    Move in to close range and then give an attack command on your target. If you aren't in range it won't fire.
  15. ApolloSc

ApolloSc New Member

But like you said, it doesn't always fire for some reason. A simple shortcut key would allow for better control of the uber cannon. IE. Click "D" to fire uber cannon. If you aren't in range, the commander will move as best it can to get into range and fire. Cancelable by giving another order.

I can't effectively use the uber cannon as it exists in the game now.
  16. zaphodx

You can't really do anything in the game right now. Even building mex is very very time consuming having to wait for a second delay on each mex you queue up.
  17. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Ghot your right it does do splash dmg but uber canon does not feel as effective as dgun. They need to extend the range and make it skid in a line or make it more effective. They could do a really cool effect with it scorching everything in a line
  18. fragal0t

fragal0t New Member

This thread is a bit old and I'm wondering if the usage of the Uber Cannon has changed since the January update, or will it change again this February? And exactly how DO you use the Uber Cannon? This thread doesn't make it very clear. I've seen some updates talking about how the uber cannon will look and fire differently depending on the commander you choose.
  19. fragal0t

fragal0t New Member

Also is the Uber Cannon dependent on power reserve? In both TA and SupCom if you didn't have enough power you can't use your Dgun or Overcharge. So this may be why some ppl can't seem to get the Uber Cannon to fire since perhaps their energy reserves are too low. Anyone know how much power it takes to fire off the Uber Cannon?
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It looks like the uber cannon is changing in the next update. There is a button on the right side of the screen that you can click to activate the gun, then you just click on the target. The new uber cannon seems to be able to shoot a lot more often and it does more damage. I'm sure that we will be able to bind it to a key eventually so that we can just press D.